Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #631
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Have you started it? I found the detailing of body language a little tedious in the first few chapters, but it's picked up since then.
Sounds a lot like how David Weber does. Stuff like how far and how many times a character wiggles his swivel chair and descriptions of hand gestures.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #632
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool List of Jim Butcher's published works...

2000 Storm Front (The Dresden Files, part 1)

2001 Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, part 2)

2001 Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, part 3)

2002 Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, part 4)

2003 Death Masks (The Dresden Files, part 5)

2004 Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, part 6)

2004 Furies of Calderon (The Codex Alera, part 1)

2005 Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files (omnibus editions - Storm Front, Fool Moon & Grave Peril), part 1)

2005 Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, part 7)

2005 Academ's Fury (The Codex Alera, part 2)

2006 Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files (omnibus editions - Summer Knight & Death Masks), part 2)

2006 Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours (Spider-Man), Science fiction

2006 Wizard at Large (The Dresden Files (omnibus editions - Blood Rites & Dead Beat), part 3)

2006 Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, part 8)

2006 Cursor's Fury (The Codex Alera, part 3)

2007 Wizard Under Fire (The Dresden Files (omnibus editions - Proven Guilty & White Night), part 4)

2007 White Night (The Dresden Files, part 9)

2007 Captain's Fury (The Codex Alera, part 4)

2008 Small Favor (The Dresden Files, part 10)

2008 Welcome to the Jungle (The Dresden Files), Comics

2008 Backup (The Dresden Files)

2008 Princeps' Fury (The Codex Alera, part 5)

2009 Mean Streets, Anthology

2009 Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, part 11)

2009 First Lord's Fury (The Codex Alera, part 6)

2010 Changes (The Dresden Files, part 12)

2010 Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files), Short stories

2011 Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, part 13)

2013 Cold Days (The Dresden Files, part 14)

2014 Skin Game (The Dresden Files, part 15)

2015 The Aeronaut's Windlass (Cinder Spires, part 1) (to be released Sept 29th)

2020 Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, part 16) (to be released July 14th)

Last edited by alansplace; 01-19-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add missing info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #633
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Cold Days is slotted for January, now? I thought it was supposed to be out this Fall?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #634
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Cold Days is slotted for January, now? I thought it was supposed to be out this Fall?
Exactly what I was about to cry over. January??
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #635
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Risingshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Exactly what I was about to cry over. January??
He does appear to keep pushing the date farther back. This is the first time I've seen an actual date referenced. It's from a web site called Risingshadow.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #636
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I did the first of the series as an audiobook and the second as an ebook and found that I enjoyed the audio more than the text. The author clearly is in the school of writers who create conflict by throwing their protagonist off the cliff and then rolling a boulder on top of them. The situations Harry gets into are ludicrous and the way they are resolved reminds me of Wile E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner with magic taking the place of the Acme Corporation. But then, who doesn't love those cartoons?

I enjoyed the humour and the characters of Harry, Bob ( ), and the various fairies and demons. I plan to keep going with the series whenever I need some fun in my reading list. My library has a few of the audiobooks from the series, so I'll get those and read the ebooks to fill in the gaps.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #637
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I did the first of the series as an audiobook and the second as an ebook and found that I enjoyed the audio more than the text. The author clearly is in the school of writers who create conflict by throwing their protagonist off the cliff and then rolling a boulder on top of them. The situations Harry gets into are ludicrous and the way they are resolved reminds me of Wile E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner with magic taking the place of the Acme Corporation. But then, who doesn't love those cartoons?

I enjoyed the humour and the characters of Harry, Bob ( ), and the various fairies and demons. I plan to keep going with the series whenever I need some fun in my reading list. My library has a few of the audiobooks from the series, so I'll get those and read the ebooks to fill in the gaps.
I commented to your other post, on the other thread. Keep reading. Jim Butcher seems to have grown as a writer while Harry was growing/changing as a character.

And yes, Bob is great!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #638
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Just finished my first Dresden File! The Storm Front! A new fan of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #639
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Just finished my first Dresden File! The Storm Front! A new fan of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.
Welcome, hope you enjoy hanging out here.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #640
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Welcome to the jungle, We got fun and games...
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #641
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Thanks a ton...alansplace and bizzybody!
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #642
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The other wizard named Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well I just finished my current re-read of the 7 Harry Potter books. I really enjoyed them all (again) and am probably going to begin a re-read of the 3 James Potter novels (by G. Norman Lippert) while I'm in this Potterverse mindset.
Last evening I finished re-reading James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing and this morning I began re-reading James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper. Both are written by G. Norman Lippert and are fan-fic sequels to the 7 Harry Potter books.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #643
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
He does appear to keep pushing the date farther back. This is the first time I've seen an actual date referenced. It's from a web site called Risingshadow.
That "date" is merely a guess.
As of now even Jim doesn't know the actual release date (as of his post on February 14).
He posted about this on the official Forum.
The manuscript is due June 1, after that it will take a few more months so it looks like about fall-ish

Edit:
The June 1 Part is after the second to last quote in the linked post.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #644
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Last evening I finished re-reading James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing and this morning I began re-reading James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper. Both are written by G. Norman Lippert and are fan-fic sequels to the 7 Harry Potter books.
Did you ever succeed in getting approval to post the link to these ebooks? Or do you have any clue words that will aid my google search?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #645
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Never mind...

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 02-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy