Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
prst1
prst1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question Screen Size vs Kindle Touch

Just recently noticed a scratch on my T1's screen, and want a screen protector. The Kindle Touch screen protectors are much cheaper, so I just wondered if they would be compatible with the T1. I thought they were the exact same size, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks for any answers.
prst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by prst1 View Post
Just recently noticed a scratch on my T1's screen, and want a screen protector. The Kindle Touch screen protectors are much cheaper, so I just wondered if they would be compatible with the T1. I thought they were the exact same size, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks for any answers.
T1 screens are glass - unless you scratched it with a diamond, it's probably a smudge, not a scratch, and a screen protector wouldn't help if you're rubbing your diamonds all over it.

Anyway, the T1 screen is narrower and taller than the Kindle, so it wouldn't fit properly.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
prst1

Thanks, although since I have tried to remove it, I don't think it's a smudge as thin as a hair
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, although since I have tried to remove it, I don't think it's a smudge as thin as a hair

I hope it's not a hairline fracture, then. E-ink screens are far more prone to break than to scratch.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
WarGhSt
WarGhSt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Weird!

Quote:
I too found one on mine and the odd thing is I never ever touch the screen or leave it unprotected when it's not in use. The scratch is about an inch long, slightly curved, and looks as "thin as a hair." It's almost like someone accidentally and just barely scraped the top of it with an exacto-knife or scalpel. I found the damn thing a day AFTER Best Buy's month return policy!

Last edited by WarGhSt; 02-02-2012 at 12:42 AM.
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I was under the impression that both readers use the same screen. The bezel cut-out may be different, but I doubt it. The Sony 9x0 used the taller, narrower screen.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
prst1

Quote:
I too found one on mine and the odd thing is I never ever touch the screen or leave it unprotected when it's not in use. The scratch is about an inch long, slightly curved, and looks as "thin as a hair." It's almost like someone accidentally and just barely scraped the top of it with an exacto-knife or scalpel.
That's what mine looks like, and I keep it in a timbuk2 sleeve when not in use. I hope it's not a crack.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I was under the impression that both readers use the same screen. The bezel cut-out may be different, but I doubt it. The Sony 9x0 used the taller, narrower screen.
Correct.
The screens are identical on all 6in readers.
The screen protectors will fit.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Correct.
The screens are identical on all 6in readers.
The screen protectors will fit.
Incorrect. The T1 screen is taller and narrower than the Kindle or Nook. They're all 6" screens diagonally, but not the same height and width.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Where do you get that info from? Side by side the screen size seems the same. And, the MR wiki hardware matrix shows them to be identical as 6", 90X120 mm, 600x800 pixels, 167 dpi.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Where do you get that info from? Side by side the screen size seems the same. And, the MR wiki hardware matrix shows them to be identical as 6", 90X120 mm, 600x800 pixels, 167 dpi.
Since you have both, could you measure? I've compared my T1 to Kindles in the store, and the h/w ratios appear different, and I know my T1 screen is more rectangular than my old 505 was. Quite noticeably narrower and taller.

But if someone can actually measure, and find me wrong, I'll acquiesce.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The problem is the plastic case around the screen is shaped very differently (some have rounded corners others dont etc). And most screen protectors cover that as well and not just the actual screen area (it's maybe a 1-2mm region around the screen, which you see as "white border" when loading a completely black image). So the protectors don't necessarily fit even though it's technically the same screen size.

I don't use one myself though - I'm afraid it would diminish the screen quality, and so far I didn't have any issues with scratches on ereaders.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Since you have both, could you measure? I've compared my T1 to Kindles in the store, and the h/w ratios appear different, and I know my T1 screen is more rectangular than my old 505 was. Quite noticeably narrower and taller.

But if someone can actually measure, and find me wrong, I'll acquiesce.
I have a K3. I measured it and my T1 and a 505. The screen dimensions are all the same. It's probably an optical illusion that the screens look different because of the difference in housings. I think a Kindle protective screen probably would work ok on the T1 if you buy one that is only meant to cover the screen and not any part of the housing. However, I wouldn't use one personally as I would worry about diminished clarity of text. If you keep your ereader in a cover, then it will most likely be fine and not susceptible to scratches.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote