Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Thumbs up Cool thing to share about Kindle's charger cord

Sorry for taking space if it's obvious, but I realized this today and as a thanks for all the help I get on these boards thought I'd share.

The Kindle 3's charging cord - as I know we all know - has a wall plug that one removes to charge via USB. Wanted to charge my Kindle AND my Archos video player for which I also have a USB charger. Was worried (probably unnecessarily) about using two usbs to simultaneously charge, mostly that they would be trickle charges, and the video player already takes for-ever to charge. So I thought WTF and plugged archos USB into kindle's wall plug and plugged into wall.

Bingo! AFAICT it's charging just fine and dandy.

In short, that nice little plug MAY make virtually any USB charge-able device able to charge off wall.

If any electrical engineers or hobby makers who know this field can tell us yay or nay, please chime in!

Alley
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Yep - used the plug part to charge my phone, my mp3 player, my satnav - anything with a USB connection.

I found the cord itself split, so dumped the Kindle one and I actually use the plug and lead from my mobile.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
But I hear there are some detrimental effects if you plug your Kindle into the wall charger of an iPhone. I hear it drains your kindle's batteries instead of charging it. Did anyone confirm this?
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingDistance View Post
But I hear there are some detrimental effects if you plug your Kindle into the wall charger of an iPhone. I hear it drains your kindle's batteries instead of charging it. Did anyone confirm this?
That happened with the Kindle 2 but isnt an issue with the Kindle 3. Amazon didnt sell wall chargers when they went international in October 2009, so all we got was the cord and had to charge by computer. And most wall plug USB chargers didnt work, and the iphone plug made things very bad.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The K3's wall charger is a completely standard USB wall charger. Nothing the least bit "Kindle-specific" about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Okay so I can plug my Kindle 3 into an iPhone wall-plug (as well as other USB-Wall plug) no problem?
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Kindle 3 yes. In fact, I have a little wall plug in strip that has 2 plugs and then two usb connections on the side of it and I plug my iPhone and Kindle 2 into that to charge.

I tried to charge my Kindle 2 off an iPhone wall adapter once.

Once.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

I tried to charge my Kindle 2 off an iPhone wall adapter once.

Once.
Yup. The first day I got my kindle 2 I did exactly the same. My laptop didn't recognize the kindle for some reason and amazon didn't send the wall plug overseas at the time. The kindle behaved very badly as a result, so bad I rang Amazon from Australia. of course they had no idea what the problem was with the iPhone charger as Americans were always using the Amazon charger. I finally found a wall charger that charged it, but very few USB plugs actually worked with the k2.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
FWIW, the Kindle doesn't seem to like the usb output of my PS3.
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Is the USB port of your PS3 a powered USB port? Standard USB output power is 500ma. It could be that it's just a data port without power.
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I've tried recharging my Kindle 3 by plugging its charger cord into a bog-standard Griffin USB wall charger. The Griffin unit emits a very quiet hum when I do that (interesting!), but it does recharge the Kindle fully.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
FWIW, the Kindle doesn't seem to like the usb output of my PS3.
If the PS3 is not powered up, the USB port is not powered. I don't know why Sony engineered the PS3 this way. The wireless controls are also charged by the PS3 USB ports, and they don't charge either unless you leave the PS3 powered up.

I am not an electrical guy. But my understanding is that while you can charge your iPad with the Kindle USB power brick, it will take a long time to charge. And don't try to charge any other USB device with the iPad charger. It's a 10w charger (output 5.1v - 2.1A).

Kindle charger: 4.9v - 0.85A
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Kindle3 and my Kindle DX both work form an iPhone charger just fine. In fact I took two iPhone chargers and attached them to a blank wall outlet plate, carving out holes that the USB plug will pass through, wired the two chargers together, installed the package in a live wall outlet box, and now I have two built in USB chargers ready at all times.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I love that the cable for the K2/K3 and my Evo and Palm Pre chargers are all interchangeable. It made things much cheaper and easier for me when I changed from Palm to Evo, and travel that much simpler too.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgumphress View Post
My Kindle3 and my Kindle DX both work form an iPhone charger just fine.
It is the Kindle 2 model that has issues with the iphone charger.