Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Help me understand this please...

I just bought 5 books and they were all cheaper as paperbacks then they were as eBooks.

3 of them were older books, but two of them were Stieg Larsson's books so they were relatively new.

Why would paperbacks be less expensive than the eBooks considering there are no printing costs?
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank the agency pricing model. The big 5 or 6 publishers colluded with certain fruit-named companies to force Amazon to sell ebooks at higher prices. Any time you see "This price was set by the publisher" in the description, you can assume the price was jacked up by one of the big publishers.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
depending on where you live, it would amount to the same sum (if not more) if your purchased paperbacks+shipping costs.
amazon apparently includes around $2/$3 as "whispernet fee". it also depends on whether the equivalent paper book is a hardback or a paperback.
then there is the public enemy no 1: the publishing house (it's the one that sets the starting price and imposes all sorts of restrictions on the sellers, like amazon)
this has been discussed over and over
if you go over to the "kindle community" at amazon, you'll see 100+ threads on the subject as well as boycotting efforts.
i still prefer the extra tariff for the advantage of having the book in under 30 seconds.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote