Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
The Economist and WSJ?

Looking for leverage on getting a reader--my DH reads these two periodicals with some regularity. I know they have electronic versions and just wanted to see if anybody had any commentary on the quality of the experience on a Sony reader. I assume screenshots would be nixed by copyright (unless somebody knows an "official" site demo-ing the e-versions? I couldn't find one).
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Since calibre pulls The Economist from their website and it's free I doubt there would be a problem with copyright infringement. I'll be glad to post some pics if you like (I think others would be interested). The WSJ is a paid subscription.

I think The Economist turns out really good. I can't speak for The WSJ, but I read The New York Times every day and I think it's great. The LA Times and The Washington Post also format well.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Okay, some pics. Keep in mind that you can tell calibre what format you want your paper or magazine in. I choose epub, so the text is not justified. If you want it justified you would choose lrf. You can always just go get calibre and download these files and use the "View" feature as well. Everything's free except the WSJ subscription. You can look at a lot of other mags and newspapers to get an idea.

I took some pics of The Economist and the NYT, just as an example newspaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TE Cover.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	37306   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE TOC.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	37307   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE P4.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	37308   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE P4 2.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	37309   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE P5.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	37310   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE P11.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	37311   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE P122.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	37312   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT TOC.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	37313   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT FP.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	37314   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYT 5.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	37315  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
electronic versions
Yeh I use Calibra to download the Economist as well. Very good quality, but obviously not all the pages you would get in the printed version.

You can see it for yourself, you dont actually need a Sony device, download Calibra, tell the setup you have a Sony device and press the "Fetch News" button, then expand "English" then click on "The Economist", and press "Download Now".

It will take a moment to download and appear on the main list. Then press "View" and you will get a "Sony Like" viewer pop up.

Then play ....
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Unfortunately, the Economist print edition won't be free anymore from October 13. So downloading it with Calibre won't be possible anymore, not without a subscription anyway.

Last edited by quisvir; 10-12-2009 at 11:37 AM.
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
But you should be able to download it if you HAVE a subscription, right? Same with WSJ (I think they have a free limited version and subscription electronic version)? It wasn't completely clear to me if Calibre could only grab freebie feeds....

Subscription don't confront me, he subscribes to the paper versions as it stands. And has been tearing his hair out because the idiot delivery person only brings maybe one in three WSJ's. And, to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of finding piles of The Economist around the house that he's planning to read "sometime".
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
But you should be able to download it if you HAVE a subscription, right? Same with WSJ (I think they have a free limited version and subscription electronic version)? It wasn't completely clear to me if Calibre could only grab freebie feeds....

Subscription don't confront me, he subscribes to the paper versions as it stands. And has been tearing his hair out because the idiot delivery person only brings maybe one in three WSJ's. And, to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of finding piles of The Economist around the house that he's planning to read "sometime".
I have an subscription to the online version of the Wall Street Journal. It's been quite a while since I've done this, but I was able to download everything for my Sony through Calibre by entering my WSJ ID and password.

Like I've said, it's been awhile since I've done this, but I'm pretty sure the functionality hasn't changed and it should work fine. Note that even if you do subscribe to the print version of the WSJ, they still charge a fee if you want the online version as well.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Calibre takes your user name and password. I do it with the NYT - the subscription is free but you have to register. I think the WSJ is around $8 a month.

Someone will have to update The Economist's calibre recipe when it goes to subscription-only.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Calibre functionality hasn't changed, I'm reading WSJ on my devices every morning (I have a subscription).
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote