Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
LenEdgerly
LenEdgerly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can I read Kindle w/ Eng-French Dictionary?

On a Kindle, does anyone know a convenient way to read a document in French (like the newspaper Le Monde) and look up the words in English translation? Thanks,
Len Edgerly,
The Kindle Chronicles podcast
LenEdgerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Currently, no, I'm afraid.

Right now, the Kindle doesn't offer any sort of translating feature. As of now, you can't even change the default dictionary. I would think that to translate, the Kindle would first need to have the ability to hold multiple dictionaries, and then you could just look up the word from a french/english one. I am sure we'll see some sort of an update in the future though! Many users have complained about it and made their opinions known.

I read some Spanish texts myself and would love to see this feature as well!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible to change the default dictionary, but the only alternatives that are available for the Kindle are DRM-free MOBI dictionaries such as GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

As IntegrityWolf says, what the Kindle needs is the capability to use multiple dictionaries and to use DRMed (encrypted) dictionaries (because all modern dictionaries are only sold with DRM).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is possible to change the default dictionary, but the only alternatives that are available for the Kindle are DRM-free MOBI dictionaries such as GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

As IntegrityWolf says, what the Kindle needs is the capability to use multiple dictionaries and to use DRMed (encrypted) dictionaries (because all modern dictionaries are only sold with DRM).
Oh my, I didn't know that you could change the dictionary. Of course, if it has to be DRM-free Mobi that certainly limits the possibilities ><

Thanks for telling! I'm going to go check out this feature...although I highly doubt I could use it with a Spanish dictionary or the like
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
tuli01
tuli01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindl 2
what about special characters?
I am interested in french/spanish/romanian/italian
tuli01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Here's Kindle English-French Dictionary that can be used to translation
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
sammio
sammio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Here's Kindle English-French Dictionary that can be used to translation
OH NOOO! I bought this dictionary, but of course it's English to French! So it helps me translate my English documents to French but not vice versa! ...
sammio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenEdgerly View Post
On a Kindle, does anyone know a convenient way to read a document in French (like the newspaper Le Monde) and look up the words in English translation? Thanks,
Len Edgerly,
The Kindle Chronicles podcast
Contrary to what has already been said, the answer is: yes.
But only if you know how to de-DRM Mobipocket dictionaries (there are threads about this on Mobileread, but you have to search for exact procedure elsewhere, so as not to provoke the corporate rage).
Once you know how, it works as simple as it could be. I have several bilingual dictionaries on my Kindle and in fact K3 can also recognize the document language (if it is set in the properties), so I do not even have to manually set different dictionaries for different documents.

A Fr-En dictionary I use is this one:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?BookID=9193

Alternatively, you can produce your own dictionary from a Stardict dictionary database (also discussed earlier on Mobileread, eg. here: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20480).
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
The Merriam Webster French-English Dictionary work perfectly on Kindle. You can select whole phrases to translate.

Just use menu/settings/menu/change primary dictionary

I go back and forth between dictionaries. Amazon sells this dictionary.
http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...3458775&sr=8-6
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
french, kindle