Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #241
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Off topic, sorry.

Thank both of you
I tried GeoffR's method first, since ADE was already installed on my computer, I had to select the type as floppy disk twice to have it work, but it worked well in the end.
A nice trick to know indeed

you're welcome! my method was the same..i was just too lazy to copy from the link

glad it worked for you!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #242
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I haven't noticed any performance regressions with 2.4.0 on my Touch. On the contrary, books appear to open faster then with 2.3.1 and I think it might even be booting up faster.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #243
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
With calibre 0.9.6 on fedora 17, sending news
epub to device get 'Kobo Database version unsupported'.
Probably a Cailbre issue, is there a workaround for this?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #244
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Either select the option in the driver to remove the check on database version OR upgrade to a current version of calibre (probably from the calibre download page and not the Fedora repository).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #245
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
Since the books and the settings did not change on the downgrade it must be the firmware that caused ALL the covers on all four units to have white stripes on the sides. I use all Zero margins.
The problem is not margins, but proportions. The Kobo dimensions are 3:4, which normally plays out as using a 600x800 cover image. However, many ebooks out there use a 600x900 image instead.

There are three ways to handle that: stretch, zoom/crop, or box. Nobody zooms/crops that I've found; I mention it only for completeness. Best I can tell, Kepubs stretch; the 600x900 becomes about 675x900 and fits the box, but there's some "short and fat" distortion. Standard epubs box instead, and since the default background color is white, you get white stripes down both sides.

One trick that worked before 2.4.0 was to tweak the OPF and make the cover image the first element in the <spine> element, but set to non-linear so it wouldn't come up as the first visible element. Unfortunately, 2.4.0 has changed rendering behavior so that the device uses the first item in the spine to set the book's rendering area - meaning that if you have a small cover image there, you get huge margins to the right (and possibly bottom) of your book, and there's no way to "zoom in" and fix it.

I've taken to writing my own cover-page code, where I can control the colors and lock in some other formatting. The files are small, and the structure is pretty simple overall, but it's not just a drop-in replacement. After all, you do have to put the right image locations in, and sometimes you want to preserve some IDs from the original page. However, it's a lot better than before; a black background isn't perfect, but I like that better than white bars most of the time.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #246
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One bug I haven't seen mentioned: not only is my wishlist gone, but the "pin" feature that creates it is missing. Granted, I had my issues with the implementation (mainly that I couldn't use it from the website or see the price of pinned books), but I wouldn't mind ditching that "your wishlist is empty" message from the bottom of my home screen if the blasted thing really HAS been discontinued...

Another thing I'm seeing now is that updating books on my card seems to take FOREVER. I suspect it's a clogged database, but there needs to be some way for the user to force some garbage collection on that. I don't even have 200 books on the unit (56 onboard, about 140 on the card); it shouldn't take several minutes for the reader to skim the card and parse new/updated books.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #247
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I haven't noticed any performance regressions with 2.4.0 on my Touch. On the contrary, books appear to open faster then with 2.3.1 and I think it might even be booting up faster.
me too...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #248
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
The problem is not margins, but proportions. The Kobo dimensions are 3:4, which normally plays out as using a 600x800 cover image. However, many ebooks out there use a 600x900 image instead.

There are three ways to handle that: stretch, zoom/crop, or box. Nobody zooms/crops that I've found; I mention it only for completeness. Best I can tell, Kepubs stretch; the 600x900 becomes about 675x900 and fits the box, but there's some "short and fat" distortion. Standard epubs box instead, and since the default background color is white, you get white stripes down both sides.
For sideloaded epubs, the size of the actual cover image inside the files is unimportant. The device renders what it thinks is the cover page and creates an image from that. In doing that, it is using CSS for that page from the epub, and the current reading settings from the device.
Quote:
One trick that worked before 2.4.0 was to tweak the OPF and make the cover image the first element in the <spine> element, but set to non-linear so it wouldn't come up as the first visible element.
That is interesting. I usually say that the first page of the book is used as the cover. Most of my epubs do have the first page as the cover, and when I edit epubs that don't, I "fix" that. But, thinking about it, I have seen this behaviour for a couple of epubs before I started changing them.
Quote:
Unfortunately, 2.4.0 has changed rendering behavior so that the device uses the first item in the spine to set the book's rendering area - meaning that if you have a small cover image there, you get huge margins to the right (and possibly bottom) of your book, and there's no way to "zoom in" and fix it.
Are you saying that whatever is used on the first page then affects all the rest of the pages when reading? Or is it just affecting the generated cover? I haven't seen the former, and the latter sounds like what I would expect to happen. Have I misunderstood this? In any case, I'll have to do some experiments to see what is happening here.
Quote:
I've taken to writing my own cover-page code, where I can control the colors and lock in some other formatting. The files are small, and the structure is pretty simple overall, but it's not just a drop-in replacement. After all, you do have to put the right image locations in, and sometimes you want to preserve some IDs from the original page. However, it's a lot better than before; a black background isn't perfect, but I like that better than white bars most of the time.
I can understand that. I see a few books where the CSS for the cover page is quite different to the rest of the book. It can get around some of these problems.

There is a change in 2.3.1 and later that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion. For the home page and lists, the aspect ratio of the cover images, are respected. This means that a cover image is put onto the device for a book, it will be resized to fit the different places, but the aspect ratio of the image will be kept. Pre 2.3.1, the images were always force to be 3:4 ratio. Now they are not. If the cover image is generated by the device, is it still generated as a 3:4 ratio from a rendered page in the book.

I have made some changes for the calibre driver to handle the aspect ratio when sending a book. I have the changes with some testers and hope to have it in this weeks calibre, but it might be next week.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #249
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you saying that whatever is used on the first page then affects all the rest of the pages when reading?
Exactly so, yes. A bare image item as the first element in <spine> will do this reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
In any case, I'll have to do some experiments to see what is happening here.
Here's a reliable test. Check out the following OPF fragments as an example:

Code:
<manifest>
<item href="cover.jpg" id="coverimg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="cover_r1.xml" id="cover" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="toc_r1.html" id="toc" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
...more content here...
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="coverimg" linear="no"/>
<itemref idref="cover" linear="no"/>
<itemref idref="toc"/>
...more content here...
</spine>
The bolded line is the key. If it's present, and the image is smaller than the screen dimensions, the rest of the book gets rendered in that area, starting at the top left corner of the device, with the rest of the screen remaining blank. Delete that line, and the book renders across the entire screen. Works every time, and the LINEAR attribute doesn't affect it either way. The key is that the bolded ITEMREF refers to an image.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #250
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see what you are doing and I have never seen anything like it before. And my immediate reaction was that it wasn't legal code.

I tested it and it broke on my Touch running FW2.4.0. But...

I opened the same epub with the calibre viewer. That just displayed the contents of the jpeg file as text.

I also passed it through Epubcheck with the following output:

Code:
Epubcheck Version 3.0

Validating against EPUB version 2.0
ERROR: d:/Download/Books/Kobo/Test Books/Snow Tiger - Desmond Bagley.epub/OEBPS/
content.opf(33,76): 'image/jpeg' is not a permissible spine media-type

Check finished with warnings or errors
That says what you are doing is not legal in an epub. As the Kobo firmware tends to be picky about epubs, I'm surprised it loaded on the device at all. Yes, what happens with the rest of the book is a bug, probably. It isn't a bug that will get a high priority to fix. Actually, I would expect to either get rejected as invalid, or the fix would be to reject epub and not load it into the library at all.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #251
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That says what you are doing is not legal in an epub. As the Kobo firmware tends to be picky about epubs, I'm surprised it loaded on the device at all. Yes, what happens with the rest of the book is a bug, probably. It isn't a bug that will get a high priority to fix. Actually, I would expect to either get rejected as invalid, or the fix would be to reject epub and not load it into the library at all.
Oh, no argument on the "image not valid there" point. My issue is more that it breaks so spectacularly without indicating an error, rather than either working around the error (as earlier firmwares did) or outright rejecting the document. Working is valid, rejection is valid, but it shouldn't do this.

I also wonder what would happen if someone used a valid XHTML page in that slot, but specified dimensions like 100px by 90px - does the bug still happen, or is it specifically tied to an image in <spine>?

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-26-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #252
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I also wonder what would happen if someone used a valid XHTML page in that slot, but specified dimensions like 100px by 90px - does the bug still happen, or is it specifically tied to an image in <spine>?
No idea. But I assume you will tell us when you test it
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #253
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Thank you Sameer. I adore my Glo. I use it several times a day, and it is a pleasure to use.
I am using firmware 2.32 and I do love that the Glo reads series information from Calibre and uses this to organise my library -- without me having to tell it to do so. It felt to intuitive and right, and meant I did not have to make a new shelf for each series. Less faffing around from a user perspective is a good thing!
You can see from comments in this thread that others feel the loss of this functionality in 2.4.0 is keenly felt. Please do consider putting it back or giving us a 'series sort' menu from the homepage. It is a really really good feature!
I would like to second Liesse's request. I too sorely miss this feature.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #254
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Guys,

Just 2 little questions :

1- Have you found a way to reduce brigthness under the default limit ? Endeed, by default we can only set it between 30% (i dont know the value, it's just an example) and 100% bt not under... and it's too bright when you read in the complete night)

2- Do you know a plugin for "night mode" (white text on dark background) ? it should be a good way to reduce brightness.
Another way should be to install a font (.tff in /fonts) which should be white on black? does this .tff exist?

NB : sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

Last edited by akorx; 04-17-2013 at 03:48 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote