Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #151
Stratovarius
Stratovarius began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Greetings all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got a rather interesting problem - install went fine, but no matter how many times I click on that damn Android, it doesn't actually do anything. I can change language and rotation, but nothing else seems to work. eInk screen shows "Initializing". The eBay app that starts in the background force closes sooner or later. Install was onto a PE Ermine (the Entourage Beta, not a ROM).
Stratovarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #152
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier529 View Post
ptsenter- You're a bright guy

I'm rather a dull person: see below.
Quote:
...Could you tolerate teaching down to a child so-to-speak?
No.
Quote:
I'm a:
non-tech new to scene own Entourage Poceket Edge Jr
As saying goes: if everything else fails RTFM.
I considered myself as pretty experienced in computer area, but PE was my first Android device and I had to sit down and slowly learn. Included videos helped a lot.
Quote:
need market upgrades steps and the more I read here, the more I get lost and confused/disheartened. My book may become nothing more than a paperweight. lol.
If your criteria of usefulness defined by an access to Market, then, yes, you bought a wrong device: that was not a purpose of this device. But you can be assured it’s not the most expensive paperweight.
Quote:
… V1.01 beta from vicinc over at Woot but afraid to add that one too for fear of borking my book.
Take it from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833 post #1,

and use it instead of Ermine 0.9, it’s just the same one step and it’s pretty safe.
Quote:
And after all this, does this mean I have Froyo then loaded?
Yes.
Quote:

Then what do I need and what steps must I take to get a fully functioning Market on my PE Jr?
I don’t believe Market is necessary app. There are a lot of alternative sites (see sticky by obsessed2) and, at least, 2 alternative ways to get to Market: Orkitra, see below, and Ultimate Upgrade.
Quote:

… @ ?rooting with z4?
rooting per se is safe, it’s what you do after that might be unsafe. You don’t need root to install Ermine 1.01.
Short list of potential suspects:
ROM Manager, Chainfire 3D, SD Maid.
Also, try not to modify (delete, update) any files on the device manually.

Quote:
and using phones with ?Titanium backup?...I am soooo lost. And this ?LauncherPro??
If you don’t feel comfortable don’t use them, they are all optional.

Quote:
I was told @ a site Android Community - For Application Development but can't get it loaded up...supposed to have full "unadualterated access to the Market without restrictions..."
This sounds sarcastic. If it is I don’t see a point, and there should be one.
If it’s not here it is:
Yes, this site is very slow and can be tricky.
Couple suggestions how to use it:
- go directly to http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/ instead of androiddev.orkitra.com;
- type search terms in the right upper field and hit Enter key
- if page comes empty (cannot display the webpage) just hit Refresh, e.g., F5 for Internet Explorer;
- if previous Refresh doesn’t work, go back one page and try again
- when on a page with your app you usually have 3 options (3 blue areas): Download apk file, Use a QR code scanner, Receive a direct link…; use the first only if you used PE’s browser (sometimes works on PC, but don’t count on it); always skip the second – no scanner I tried on PE, and I tried a dozen, works; with the third enter your email in an area where it said to enter and hit Enter key; this e-mail should be accessible from PE;
- open that e-mail on your PE: it has a direct link to download the app.
Quote:
… (I was a logistician in the US Marines; not a computer tech.)
You spent some time to be trained as logistician and it paid off. I can only say spend some time learning this device and it will pay you back.
I apologize it took me so long to answer, but I’m not very good with long answers and I’ve been very busy with my Ultimate Upgrade.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #153
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
ptsenter,
Many thnx for your itemized reply! I appreciate and respect the time afforded me given your busy affairs with Ultimate Upgrade. No need apologize for any 'tardiness.' The fact that you answered period speaks volumes of your character and willingness to entertain the neophyte posting of mine! And thnx, too, ktwombley: for subscribing me to the thread so that I became aware of this posting without delay! Thanks much guys/gals. Appreciate all the help afforded. I revere what you can do with computer devices. R//
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #154
mjc1
mjc1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I just applied the update the other day, and is fantastic! Market works great, gmail is working fine, tablet is running great. Thanks to those who developed this update and to those who gave great instructions for those tech challenged like myself. I tried all of the Market alternatives, and none of them compare. Thanks to your efforts, my PE has gone from a good tablet to a great one.
Thank you all!
mjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #155
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
$@#^%&^! Help!

Gmail is running fine, with the exception of the "show images" option, which seems to restart the app. Which, interestingly enough, is similar to what Netflix 1.5 is doing. Any thoughts?

Awesome update guys, if I haven't said so enough lately.

EDIT: And no sooner do I finish saying nice things then my PE begins to seriously eff-up on me. E-ink is stuck on an "initializing" screen, despite numerous restarts, display flips, obscure ways of cajoling it into awakeness (journal button, reader button, calibration tool, registration tool, resets, updating or resetting reader wallpaper, harsh language, manual SN reminding via terminal, etc.) And the PE can't see my damn library again.

Did I fry my framebuffer, as described here? (thread)

I really don't want to do a factory reset or ANOTHER golden update cycle, as I just got the stupid thing fixed from the LAST time.

Nook Color / Kindle Fire is really starting to look good to me right now.

Last edited by johnseeking; 10-31-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Whisky Tango Foxtrot ?
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #156
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
rant on>
Why is it so essential for some people to 'fiddle' with a device that works as designed with the ermine beta software - well almost - just to get some assumed advantage with g-apps when things like mail can be accessed through the built in mail app is beyond me.
/rant off>

I think you will have to do that which you don't want to do to get back to a working device. Having got it working again be more careful how you try to push the boundaries.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #157
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Having got it working again be more careful how you try to push the boundaries.
Sorry Dad.

For any others that have this happen, the final sequence that seemed to initiate the dying e-ink was a restart following the installation of Overdrive Media Console and Netflix. Everything was dandy up until the restart...

... well, except that the e-ink started leaving the last thing open up on the screen when I hibernated or shut down. This happened for a few weeks, and it was either my wallpaper or a page from a book that was up when it happened.

Come to think of it, I shut down with a book open (which I never do - I typically exit all docs and apps before I do a restart) when it happened.

So, be this a cautionary tale or the vital clues that will help some digital cavalier solve the puzzle and save the day, I hope SOMEONE gets something of worth out of this mess.

I'll be golden-ing and ermine-ing tonight I guess. I'll miss the market access and the native gmail app, but if I have to do this a THIRD time, I'll likely just chunk the d*mn thing out the window.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #158
florob
florob began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Hi everybody.
Super silly question: since I had upgraded to Ermine, I started the procedure for allmine at step 11, Got the update file, renamed, got the gapps file, renamed, etc.
Everything seemed to work fine, since it upgrated the software and so on, but nothing has changed...
Moreover, when I try to download an app from the market, it says that no device is associated. I had already created a google account, and the PE doesn't ask to sign when I reboot.
I read that the PE should be "recognized" like a Nexus One, is there any opportunity to check this?
Thanks for help,
Roberto
florob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #159
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Going to try one more thing before I wipe and gripe. I'm using ES File Explorer to copy backups of all my installed apks to usb. I'll report on whether or not I can "beside-myself-load" them back to my PE running Ermine.

Once more into the breach, dear friends...

EDIT: As expected, none of the g-apps worked. I'm okay with that. I'm back to a lean, mean Ermine install, and aside from a few apks I'm having to hunt back down, all is right with the world.

Last edited by johnseeking; 11-01-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: 'tis done
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #160
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
Going to try one more thing before I wipe and gripe. I'm using ES File Explorer to copy backups of all my installed apks to usb. I'll report on whether or not I can "beside-myself-load" them back to my PE running Ermine.

Once more into the breach, dear friends...

EDIT: As expected, none of the g-apps worked. I'm okay with that. I'm back to a lean, mean Ermine install, and aside from a few apks I'm having to hunt back down, all is right with the world.
Why not store all your apks on your PC? Then whenever you want to replace them they are available over the network and ES File Explorer will download and start the install for you.

Your 'Once more into the breach, dear friends...' is something we say every day with feeling - the number of time we hear 'so and so loaded it on his xyz so I loaded it on my abc and it doesn't work and my abc doesn't work, can you save all my files and photos because I don't have a backup', then people wonder why I have a rant every so often.

You do know you can access gmail through the built in mail app - just fill in the correct settings. Not sure about calendar, don't use it but there might be something about it in the old forum.

Anyway, softly, softly catchee monkey.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #161
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by florob View Post
Hi everybody.
Super silly question: since I had upgraded to Ermine, I started the procedure for allmine at step 11, Got the update file, renamed, got the gapps file, renamed, etc.
Everything seemed to work fine, since it upgrated the software and so on, but nothing has changed...
Moreover, when I try to download an app from the market, it says that no device is associated. I had already created a google account, and the PE doesn't ask to sign when I reboot.
I read that the PE should be "recognized" like a Nexus One, is there any opportunity to check this?
Thanks for help,
Roberto
Similar thing happened to my PE when I first tried to use allmine on top of ermine that got some use. Specifically, I already tried to register google account before installing allmine. That some how tainted the device and installing allmine did not help. After that i bit a bullet and started from first step and then it worked.

Well, to be exactly correct, I bit a bullet not because I've chosen so, but I was forced to. First thing I did was I tried to do factory reset in ermine in order to clean databases from previous attempts - and that was very bad idea, the device went into permanent initialisation mode. A full account of that high tension moment can be found earlier in this thread. And from their I went through downgrade to dingo.

The moral of my story is - if it did not work from step other then one, you are better off/safer starting from step 1.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #162
florob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
Similar thing happened to my PE when I first tried to use allmine on top of ermine that got some use. Specifically, I already tried to register google account before installing allmine. That some how tainted the device and installing allmine did not help. After that i bit a bullet and started from first step and then it worked.

Well, to be exactly correct, I bit a bullet not because I've chosen so, but I was forced to. First thing I did was I tried to do factory reset in ermine in order to clean databases from previous attempts - and that was very bad idea, the device went into permanent initialisation mode. A full account of that high tension moment can be found earlier in this thread. And from their I went through downgrade to dingo.

The moral of my story is - if it did not work from step other then one, you are better off/safer starting from step 1.
Thank you, very likely to be a very good suggestion!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #163
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florob View Post
Hi everybody.
Thanks for help,
Roberto
Open the market app on the device. Before you've done that and actually associated your account, accessing the market on the web won't work.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #164
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Your 'Once more into the breach, dear friends...' is something we say every day with feeling - the number of time we hear 'so and so loaded it on his xyz so I loaded it on my abc and it doesn't work and my abc doesn't work, can you save all my files and photos because I don't have a backup', then people wonder why I have a rant every so often.
Are you in I.T., ivan?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #165
florob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
Open the market app on the device. Before you've done that and actually associated your account, accessing the market on the web won't work.
that's the main problem: I can't find the market app on the PE... (I accessed through the web)