Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should We Be Able To Resell Our Ebooks? (First Sale Rights)
Yes 93 73.23%
No 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I am interested in selling my ebooks at a price of zero.

The vast majority of my used p-books go to our local "Friends of the Library" book sale. I do sell a few, but not many.

I find it sad that I can not even donate my used e-books to our local library. Who knows, they might even want to keep them for their own e-book collection, since it's pretty puny right now - and unlikely to get any bigger if the HC 26-checkout limit nonsense spreads to other Big 6 publishers.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
I remember reading somewhere on a forum, not sure which one of a individual who bought a reader expecting to have all the books on it and they couldn't get to them.
They didn't say what type. They weren't asking for help, it was just a remarked in another discusion.

Anyhow, if I were to decide to sell my Sony 900 (I shudder at the thought) wouldn't all the books I have on it still be there for the person who would buy it?

The only way I could see a person wanting to sell a reader is because they bought a new one. If that would happen, then what happens to the books that have been installed on it?

A Kindle I can see as they have some form of password to activate it, and if you are connected to the Sony Library it could create a problem otherwise, I don't see how selling a reader can affect the books on it.

I do feel that in some ways the books on a reader is different from paperback beside the obvious of electronic device versus paper. When I finish a DTB I can sell it to a used book store, give it away or burn it,it is my choice.
But an ebook, doesn't the ability to transfer a copy open up the door for an individual to pirate copies?
I know that is a problem now, the DRM is being stripped and copies are being sold. There is no black and white in this area.

As for selling the ebooks (not the reader) I am of both minds, I can see the good and bad of both sides. If you are asking if sell the reader with the boooks then I go it should be allowed.

Last edited by Janette55; 03-13-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: response of poll
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette55 View Post
Anyhow, if I were to decide to sell my Sony 900 (I shudder at the thought) wouldn't all the books I have on it still be there for the person who would buy it?
It depends.

If the books were in the public domain, that would be fine.

If your contract with the bookstore from which you bought the books stated that they were non-transferrable, you would be in breach of contract, and could be prosecuted.

If you retained copies on your own PC, or under your account at the bookstore, you'd be breaking copyright law.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How can the publisher be sure that once the sale is made, that there is still not a copy left behind by the seller?

Personally, I am in favor of being able to sell eBooks. But I do understand how that question is an important one that really does need to be answered.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If your contract with the bookstore from which you bought the books stated that they were non-transferrable, you would be in breach of contract, and could be prosecuted.
If the contract itself were legal. If the contract is based on flawed interpretations of the law, it's not enforceable. If the books were sold in the first place, not licensed, it's not illegal to re-sell them or give them away. Just because the ebookstore claims they were licensing them doesn't make it true.

Just like copyright statements in the front of many books:
Quote:
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical,
including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the author.
It's false. You *can* legally reproduce parts of the book without permission. Can quote it for reviews, can use it for analysis or research, can make lists of the contents and characters, and so on. Just because they've declared a set of rights doesn't actually grant them, and buying a book doesn't bind purchasers to never copy any fragments of it without getting written consent from the author.

Quote:
If you retained copies on your own PC, or under your account at the bookstore, you'd be breaking copyright law.
If you sell your house, it's not illegal to keep a copy of the key. It's illegal to *use* it after you've sold the house, but having potential access is not the same as violating the property rights of the new owners.

If bookstores won't remove access to the books, that doesn't make transfer of them illegal. Accessing them after the transfer is a violation of copyright law, but having them available for access is no more a violation than owning a photocopy machine.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

If bookstores won't remove access to the books, that doesn't make transfer of them illegal. Accessing them after the transfer is a violation of copyright law, but having them available for access is no more a violation than owning a photocopy machine.

I was under the impression that copyright law limited the act of copying.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
No, it's the ACT of making an unauthorised copy that violates copyright law; whether or not you read the book is irrelevant. By giving a copy of a book to a third party, without the permission of the copyright holder, you have created an unauthorised copy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
With paper books you have a physical object that can't be separated from the IP so it must be dealt with. The object must be made, physically moved to the user, there is a limited number of them, they can wear out. With ebooks those problems go away. You want a copy, buy it and have it in seconds.

Why do people want to create some elaborate system to allow them to sell other people's work? Who would pay for it and why? If you want to donate to a library send them a check.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's the ACT of making an unauthorised copy that violates copyright law; whether or not you read the book is irrelevant. By giving a copy of a book to a third party, without the permission of the copyright holder, you have created an unauthorised copy.
If I download the books onto a flash drive after purchase, that's a legitimate, authorized copy. If I then sell the flash drive, I haven't made any unauthorized copies.

If I download *for the purpose* of selling, I may be making an unauthorized copy, but I often download for reading to several places--memory card on my reader, portable flash drive so I can comfortably move books on & off my reader, and hard drive in case the bookstore vanishes overnight.

Selling the physical medium where I've stored a legit copy doesn't create an unauthorized copy. If I don't open the other copies I have access to, I haven't violated any rules. Of course, that's on the honor system--but so's physical bookselling; they're also counting on me not photocopying the book & then selling the original. (With most bound books, a photocopy is much lower quality than the original. With fanzines and micro-press publications, it's often not.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #25
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can the publisher be sure that once the sale is made, that there is still not a copy left behind by the seller?
How can they be sure you didn't photocopy it or scan it ?

When I pay for something I expect ownership, end of story. If I want to sell my MSWord then I do so. If I want to sell my MP3s then I do so.

I bought several enjoyable eBooks, by one specific author, from Amazon last year for a reasonable price. I didn't like the first two titles.
So I sold them to my old school friend who has an eReader he won in a local competition. I erased them because a) I have no interest in them and b) because that is what I do when I sell something.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Hell yes, you can do it with a P-book
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #27
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Yes we should be able to sell them. I don't know about any specific method of doing it proposed here, but it *should* be legal.

I'm interested in this for a different reason than expressed so far: If one can re-sell an ebook according to the first sale definition, then one can also sell that ebook to a geolocation for which it was originally not available. Someone could make a business of buying a legal copy of an ebook, then re-selling it to someone in a georestricted country. This would probably need to be some kind of drm-ridden transaction (for a database definition of "transaction") to make sure copies are not left hanging around, but I imagine it might be accomplished by using a secondary encryption wrapper (kinda like putting an encrypted mobi file inside an encrypted zip file)

The practice of this kind of business would be to never decode the original file, but put it in another wrapper for the new customer, who would need to decode twice before reading. It would be a pain, but less than the pain of never being allowed to buy the book in the first place, and hopefully the pain might be enough to avoid being sued.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #28
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Nevermind...

Last edited by spaze; 03-14-2011 at 02:17 AM.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #29
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
People here are saying how one can make a photocopy of paper book and sell the original.

Well, the problem here is that by making so, one breaks copyright laws.

One of the reasons, among many, that selling a digital media is not legal because it's just too damn easy to make a copy of an ebook, even your grandma can do it.

My best advice: If you're so naive then go ahead and resell your ebook. Chances are no one will have resources to go after you, but it still doesn't make it any more legal.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
LeoMartin
LeoMartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think it's a tough call. It really depends on the details of how it occurs. If I were to gain access to the .doc file of The Da Vinci code, do I have the right to give it away? No, so why would giving it away via selling be any different*?

*Assuming that I keep a copy. If I don't keep a copy, then it's more like the case where you own a copy of the book and want to resell it
LeoMartin is offline   Reply With Quote