Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Step-By-Step Guide to ePub creation

I'm interested in learning how to manually create ePub format books but am having difficulty in finding information on what exactly I need to do.

I've looked through the forums to see if anyone has created a guide, but I can't see one.

Can some point me in the direction of a guide.

I know there are tools (like Calibre) but I would like to be able to understand what they create as I will need to customise them after creation.

Also I enjoy the manual work needed to create them. I always find more satisfaction in doing the work myself.

Any help is appreciated.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know if any of this will be of help or not...

Here is the format spec...
http://www.openebook.org/2007/opf/OP...inal_spec.html

Here is the packaging spec...
http://www.openebook.org/2007/ops/OP...inal_spec.html

Here's a write up done on Teleread that might have some useful info...
http://www.teleread.org/2007/10/31/e...epub-creation/

Also the Mobil Read Wiki has some good info...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB

I know it's not really the step-by-step guide you asked for, but I don't think I've seen one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Something I originally posted on TeleRead some time ago:

http://www.zianet.com/jgray/articles...ad1/index.html
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What I used when I started with ePUB: http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

And little by little I've added some tweaks to my ePUB files. You can unzip one of them ("The Prince and the Pauper" is a good one, since it has embedded fonts too) and see how it's done. They are all hand-written, so everything there is is there because I added it (not because it's the default of some program).

The only thing missing is creating the final zip file. I pack the mimetype file without compression (zip mybook.epub -0 mimetype) and then add the rest of the files (zip mybook.epub -rDX9 META-INF OEPBS).

Last edited by Jellby; 03-25-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Thanks guys,

That lot looks to be able to provide me with a fair bit of info and if I reverse engineer an ePub file, should get enough info.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
gernblanston
gernblanston began at the beginning.

Device: Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
What I used when I started with ePUB: http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

And little by little I've added some tweaks to my ePUB files. You can unzip one of them ("The Prince and the Pauper" is a good one, since it has embedded fonts too) and see how it's done. They are all hand-written, so everything there is is there because I added it (not because it's the default of some program).

The only thing missing is creating the final zip file. I pack the mimetype file without compression (zip mybook.epub -0 mimetype) and then add the rest of the files (zip mybook.epub -rDX9 META-INF OEPBS).
This is a very useful post, as I'm just starting to figure out epub. Do you have a link to a 'perfectly' tagged ebook, or a sample that you've created? I'm creating a book that has few images and strait text.

Thanks!
gernblanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try this: The Prince and the Pauper.

Last edited by Jellby; 11-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
gernblanston
gernblanston began at the beginning.

Device: Digital Editions
Quote:
This is very useful - thanks - esp. how to center the image. I'm using ID and I can't get my images to anchor in the correct spot on the epub page after conversion -- it always ends up at the end of the chapter! And so does the cutline/caption!

Anyone else having this issue?

Jellby -- is the tag that you used treat the image like text?

Thanks
gernblanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

anyone having problems with the link - i've been trying to access the tutorial without much luck ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I just tried now, it works for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Yep, thanks Jellby can access this Okay now .

I've been looking at others this morning and it's surprisingly "straight-forward" ..... :chuckles:

My only problem now is I currently use ADE to look at my productions and so far I have a 'problem' with one file that Sigil created and is okay according to Valloric....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I just found that I have to use (zip mybook.epub -DX0 mimetype) to pass the epubcheck. Otherwise I get an error about extra field length being 28 instead of 0.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Dwayne Smith
Dwayne Smith began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Jellby,

I had a look at your Prince & Pauper ePub and it seems to offer the embedded font as an alternative addition to the main style sheets — with the alt.css being called from within the style.css (presumably when embedded fonts are supported) — is that right?

I'd love to use this approach in the ePubs I'm working on. Is it as simple as it looks? (main css, alternative css and embedded fonts in OEBPS; then referencing all these in the Manifest) — Or are there complexities I'm missing?

Many thanks for any advice you care to offer.

d.
Dwayne Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Smith View Post
I had a look at your Prince & Pauper ePub and it seems to offer the embedded font as an alternative addition to the main style sheets — with the alt.css being called from within the style.css (presumably when embedded fonts are supported) — is that right?

I'd love to use this approach in the ePubs I'm working on. Is it as simple as it looks? (main css, alternative css and embedded fonts in OEBPS; then referencing all these in the Manifest) — Or are there complexities I'm missing?
It's almost like that, but not quite. alt.css is referenced in style.css through an @import clause, and it will be read in all circumstances, as long as @import is supported, it does not depend on whether embedded fonts are supported.

The only reason for putting the embedded fonts stuff in a separate CSS file was to make it easier to disable it if needed, just by commenting out the @import line in style.css. Other solutions would imply a larger edit of CSS files, or modifying every XHTML file.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
MichaelCampbell
MichaelCampbell began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblanston View Post
I'm using ID and I can't get my images to anchor in the correct spot on the epub page after conversion -- it always ends up at the end of the chapter! And so does the cutline/caption!
Floating images in ID will end up at the bottom. Solution: select the image and cut it, then paste it into the text so it becomes an in-line graphic. Paste your caption right below it in its own paragraph. They will now both flow with the text and anchor into position. It's best to have the graphic in its own paragraph.
MichaelCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote