Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
dagardner105
dagardner105 began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
DR1000s or 2nd Edition primarily for notetaking

Hi all,

I posted about devices in general in the "Which Device" forum but wanted to ask specificially about IREX so have posted in here too.

I would use it primarily to replace the Moleskin notebooks I am always taking to meetings (when i'm in sales/account management mode). I won't bore you with other options I've been through but was hoping for comments on whether an IREX device fits the bill. i.e:
  • Is the stylus accurate?
  • Is it a paper like experience
  • Does the device boot up quickly
  • Do i always need a charger with me? I would only be actually writing for an hour or so a day but would be looking at the notes quite frequently.
  • Is the stylus lag issue still present? i would find that very frustrating

This is my last option having ruled out tablets, livescribe, digimemo etc. I am somewhat put off by the high number of negative posts even on their own forums. However,I am hoping firmware updates have changed this(?).

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

David
dagardner105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I have both DR and ILIAD. (also TabletPC)
Finally i choose ILIAD for Note taking.

For comparison, based on ILIAD
It feels closer to real paper
less lagging
Screen contrast is better
Boot time is not different much in case, they need to cold boot, no hibernate but DR has sleep mode
Better battery life. (2 days ILIAD, 1/2 days DR) you need to turn wifi off and push stylus into slot to save energy
Quick access by Note button.
More difficult on file renaming (not much)
Easy carry

etc.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagardner105 View Post
  • Does the device boot up quickly
  • Do i always need a charger with me? I would only be actually writing for an hour or so a day but would be looking at the notes quite frequently.
For the iLiad BE:
It takes about 45 seconds to boot. In your case I suggest leaving it on all day (except perhaps at lunch) and charging it every night. The iLiad battery life should be plenty long enough for this to work, even though scribbling takes some extra power. The travel hub includes the USB port, so you need it to connect to a PC. Note that the battery savings from having the stylus in its slot is probably small enough that switching to a different Wacom stylus would be ok.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
<snip>
For comparison, based on ILIAD
It feels closer to real paper
less lagging
Screen contrast is better
I use the DR for note taking and I need to carry a battery pack with me (or charge it in-between) if I intend to use it all day. The lag is tolerable, but distracts a bit. The large screen is really great and gives me the "scribbling on A4" feel.

What did you mean when you said that the Iliad "feels closer to real paper" and that the "screen contrast is better"? Is this true?

Regarding lag: I thought all e-ink devices suffer from some lag. Does the Iliad really have a smaller lag? Is that software or hardware related?

EDIT: @ OP: You might want to hit this.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 03-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I'll take the DR over the Iliad any day. The DR has a larger screen so easier to take long notes. I also think the screen is better but if true not by much. I have a power strip at work and use it if I need to charge the reader. Most days I don't need to charge. Probably less power used in my case because I use the reader at work as a reference and only on occasion as a notepad.

In terms of the build between the two I think the DR is a much more enjoyable experience. People have complained about the capacitive buttons but I love them. I can turn off the side that I use to hold when in my hand.

If you use it for reading, the dictionary works great. I can even look up words in a PDF format. I was not able to do that with the Iliad. Also the DR screen size makes reading PDF files a breeze.

Even if note taking is your primary reason for purchasing a reader I strongly suggest weighing the pros and cons of the two devices for reading books. Unless you hate reading you will want to use this for reading. With my Iliad I saw it as a 50/50 deal. Half electronic and half hardcopy. With the DR I am going 99% electronic.

One other item to consider regarding the negative posts you reference. It is not that they are unwarranted but it is primarily the hardcore fans that usually post on any site that promotes a product or product segment. The people happy with the reader generally are not motivated to speak out. Also many here are hardware and software geeks so they make it a point to look at every nook and cranny and magnify the issues. Again I don't want to minimize the criticisms. There are good people here. Just that your experience will be probably be far different even if you bump up against similar issues.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
get the dr1000s - its more worth for the price.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I don't see any lag when I write on either the DR or iLiad.

However, I'm left-handed so I've never seen my writing 'as I write' anyway.

I've found a benefit in being a leftie
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I suppose there is a bit of lag sometimes, but then sometimes the same thing happens with my computer, where it takes a moment for the machine to catch up with my typing. It isn't something I ever considered a big deal.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Digital Osmosis
Digital Osmosis began at the beginning.

Device: Not sure yet
This is a weird question, but I was considering getting the DS. Writing notes and annotations to documents would be a really big draw for me, but I'm dysgraphic which I have a lot of trouble hand-writing stuff, using a pen and the like. I heard that the DS has some kind of onscreen keyboard, right? Is it easy to use? Is it any good for note taking or annotating stuff?
Digital Osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's a "DS"? Do you mean the DR1000S?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's a "DS"? Do you mean the DR1000S?
Maybe he meant the Nintendo DS??
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
If you load up some of the additional applications that developers on this forum have done (one which you may find useful would be the Xournal app), an onscreen keyboard is available. You need the stylus to poke at the keys and while it works verywell, it is not a quick way to take notes.

The writepads and annotations to pdf docs generally work with no noticeable delay when writing, in my opinion, though the merging software that comes with the companion software is poor. (It's very "blocky")

The iliad may be better, but as I don't have one I cannot comment on that. It uses different methods to store its scribbles and merging than the DR.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Digital Osmosis
Digital Osmosis began at the beginning.

Device: Not sure yet
Oh, I meant the DR1000s. Woops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
If you load up some of the additional applications that developers on this forum have done (one which you may find useful would be the Xournal app), an onscreen keyboard is available. You need the stylus to poke at the keys and while it works verywell, it is not a quick way to take notes.

The writepads and annotations to pdf docs generally work with no noticeable delay when writing, in my opinion, though the merging software that comes with the companion software is poor. (It's very "blocky")

The iliad may be better, but as I don't have one I cannot comment on that. It uses different methods to store its scribbles and merging than the DR.
By "merging software" you mean software the combines the annotations you've been making with the document for transfer to say, a PC, or printing or something, right?

So you recommend the Xournal application? And without that, there would not be an on-screen keyboard? Does installing that app make an onscreen keyboard available just for use with that app, or will it allow me to use one to "type" annotations on .pdfs or other documents? I know handwriting would be quicker for most people but it would almost certainly be worth the awkward typing for me if I had a virtual keyboard.
Digital Osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Wrt merging, yes.
I like the Xournal app. It's not without its issues, and you can follow the threads within this forum to find out more.
I think the onscreen keypad does appearis available for some other apps, I just can't think of which at this time.
You cannot use the onscreen keyboard (as far as I am aware) to annotate pdfs etc.

regards, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This video should reassure you about "stylus lag" on the DR1000S:

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote