Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
505 died - should I fix or replace it?

I can't believe it. One day it was working fine. Then a few weeks of no use. Now nothing. I tried recharging via the USB cable for 12 hours straight. Nothing.

I paid almost $400 for it and accessories over a year ago, so the warranty has expired. The new readers are cheaper. Even the Apple iPad, which I originally deemed not worthy as an upgrade from my 505, is looking more appealing.

What to do? I was considering an upgrade anyway, and the demise of my 550 only makes the purchase more urgent.

Last edited by BBRags; 04-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
From various other member posts, it sounds like the battery completely died.

You need to do a full charge with an AC wall charger (through the yellow round hole on the 505). You can purchase a cheap PSP charger that will work.

Let us know how this works.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
My first thought was the same as dreams (sheʻs so smart!)- if itʻs fully depleted, youʻll need to charge through the wall charger. The USB wonʻt always work to charge fully discharged batteries. Hope it still works!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What's a 550? Is that a new model?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
BBRags
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What's a 550? Is that a new model?

BOb
I meant the 505. Sorry.

I don't own a PSP charger and really don't want to throw good money after bad. I have an Energizer Cell Phone charger that outputs 5VDC and rigged a cord that connects it to the 505 (see pic below). The charger is working, you can see the reader's red light is on.

If that doesn't work, I think I may junk it. Next time, I'll buy an extended warranty. It doesn't make sense to send it to sony for repair. A brand new Sony 900 goes for $400 and includes an AC adapter, zippered case, internet.

The big question is do I wait for Sony's response to the iPad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader_recharge.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	49191  

Last edited by BBRags; 04-04-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Dont junk it! I may be able to put it to use. how much do you want for it? Send me a PM
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I wouldn't junk it either. At least it's good for spare parts.
If you are considering a new Sony reader, I would probably go for a PSP charger anyway just to see if it does the trick.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
PSP chargers are around $10, and it'll likely bring your Sony back to life.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Barthelemy
Barthelemy began at the beginning.

Does the picture above show your actual device?
Because I see red LED light which indicates that the device is charging.
If that's the case, wait for few hours and it should work again.

I had my screen stuck once, but resetting the device helped so I would try that as well, don't give up so easily.
Barthelemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
BBRags
Connoisseur

Update: reader is running!!!! I fully recharged the 505 and tried turning it on. Didn't work. Then I pressed the reset button and flicked the on switch several times, and then the 505's LED flashed yellow and the screen came up.

I didn't think it had frozen earlier because the USB recharge wasn't working and because the screen was totally blank (it didn't freeze during the start up cycle).

Thanks everyone for the help!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm happy for you
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
BBRags
Connoisseur

Thanks Mike. I wasn't ready to dip into my piggy bank for a new reader.

Should I post any info about my Energizer cellphone charger mod? Is it obvious what I did? The charger has been discontinued; some dealers may have it in stock. It makes nifty pocket charger for the 505 (and the newer models if they use 5V).
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm interested in information on that charger of yours. I finally treated myself to the Sony charger for Christmas because my 505 wants more current than the usual el-cheapo charger can supply. As we're now a two-Reader family, a second (and more affordable) charger would be good.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
BBRags
Connoisseur

"I finally treated myself to the Sony charger for Christmas because my 505 wants more current than the usual el-cheapo charger can supply"

Cellphone AC adapters are small and lightweight, but they can output almost an amp of current. If the phone actually draws that much current, the cell charger has to provide it.

I put up a post on how to mod the charger later today or tomorrow. I have to take some pics.

Last edited by BBRags; 04-06-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #15
BBRags
Connoisseur

Before preparing a write-up about how to convert the cellphone charger for use with a 505 reader, I stopped by an Office Depot store to see if they had any more chargers in stock. I got one several months ago from them on closeout for $15 ($20 retail).

Well, I went in, found them and immediately bought TWO MORE Energizer chargers because they were $1 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!! It's worth $1 for the two lithium AA cells that are included. I'm attaching a picture as proof. If you're near an Office Depot, it might be worth a trip to see if they have any left. The store in San Carlos (California) had 2 more in the closeout bins.

The chargers are for Motorola phones, but I don't think it matters what phone, because they appear to all have the same charging unit, only different cables. The chargers all output 5VDC (I believe). In any case, Motorola phones charge at 5V.

More information about the Energizer chargers here. I'll try to post instructions on how to modify the cell charger tomorrow or the day after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	energizer.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	49444