Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
What are some of the better book to film adaptions out there?

What are some of the better book to film adaptions out there?

I have over 1500 DVDs in my collection if you count my kids' and wife's movies. I love to read and I love to watch movies...so it sounds like it should be the perfect union, right? Usually not the case though.

I am looking for movies that either surpassed the book or simply did the book justice. Go ahead and post horrible adaptions also if you'd like. I love to talk about a great fail.

My choice for great film based off of a book would be:

The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King based off the book "Rita Hayworth and Shawhank Redemption."

iso more opinions
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
My choice for great film based off of a book would be:

The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King from the book "Rita Hayworth and Shawhank Redemption."
I think that was a short story, not a book.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is considered a novella.

"A novella is a written, fictional, prose narrative longer than a novelette (short story) but shorter than a novel."

edit: but this is the lounge...so short stories included then.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of my favourite books is Peter Carey's Bliss. I actually think the movie adaptation is very good (it's well-cast). This sentiment is generally unanimous, as long as I'm the only one in the room.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Some of the best book-to-movies that I can mention (where I'm familiar with both the movie and the novel):

- Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Although they made some changes, the film was very faithful to the look and feel of the first three books in the series and the casting was pretty much spot-on.

- Watchmen: Very faithful to a majority of the comic, with some (in my opinion) justifiable changes from the original comic book. For me, its main drawback is that even though the movie is over 3 hours long, they still weren't able to fit everything from the original comic book series in the movie.

- Scrooge (U. S. Title: A Christmas Carol), the 1951 version starring Alister Sim: For me, this is the best movie version of the story ever made and is the standard I compare other versions to. Also, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol is excellent, and Magoo is perfect cast in the role of Scrooge.

- Hoodwinked: An excellent version of "Little Red Riding Hood" that takes the familiar fairy tale and tells it in a new way (and very funny way) that will keep you guessing until the end.

- The Godfather and The Godfather Part II: Together, these two movies are an excellent adaption to the entire Puzo novel (Part II covers the parts of the book not covered in the first movie) and for me the first movie was one that I couldn't stop watching until the end.

- Superman The Movie: An excellent version of the Superman story, and still one of the best comic book movies ever made. It distills everything that you need to know, presents it in an entertaining manner, and tells a great story.

- The Adventures Of Pinocchio, the 1996 movie starring Martin Landau: Although they do make some changes from the original story, this version was true to the original story (unlike many versions, for me this version felt like it was taking place in Italy), and added some great enhancements not in the original story. That Pinocchio is played by a real puppet greatly adds to the movie.

- Chobits: An excellent 27-episode anime adaptation of the manga and very faithful to the original story (although, as usual, they made some modifications).

Although this is backwards, there is one movie-to-book adaptation I must strongly recommend: TRON. Although the movie was great, the novel version added so much detail to the original story and it is definitely worth reading.

If you give any of the above a look, I'm sure that you'll enjoy them.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned

I seen all of them except for chobits and the 1996 version of pinocchio. Very good choices by the way. A lot of fanboys were crushed with the whole lack of giant squid in the watchmen though...I was still impressed.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I seen all of them except for chobits and the 1996 version of pinocchio. Very good choices by the way. A lot of fanboys were crushed with the whole lack of giant squid in the watchmen though...I was still impressed.
Without spoiling the ending, I felt the change they made in Watchmen (referenced above) worked much better than the original and was much more believable.

Although I'm a comic book reader, I don't consider myself a fanboy. When it comes to movie adaptions of comic books, I understand that there will be changes made to the original out of necessity (such as budget limitations, rating restrictions, and so on). With many comic books, it would impossible to include everything that was in the original story. What I do expect is that the movie/TV series will be true to the original comic book.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Enemy Mine". Novella by Barry B. Longyear. Made into an excellent film.

And, of course, the three "LOTR" films (specifically the "Extended Editions"); I really don't think that it could have been done better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Some of the books to movies that I like:
the accidental tourist
frankenstein (boris karloff version)
into the wild
i, robot
k-pax
LOTR trilogy
the phantom of the opera (both 1925 & 1943 versions)
rebecca (1940)
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
To Kill a Mockingbird
The African Queen
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
David Lynch's DUNE. He took Frank Herbert's horribly boring and long-winded book and actually made something interesting (though often times still boring).

I also love Timur Bekmembetov's adaptation of Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series. He took the first two books, jumbled them up and turned out two movies that are very different than the books but still immediately recognizable with them. I still don't know if I prefer the plot of the books or the movies more.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Big Sleep
Double Indemnity
First Blood
Rear Window (actually better than Cornel Woolrich story it was based upon)
The Hustler
The Long Weekend
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Moby Dick
Tbhe Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men

Actually there are quite a lot more good book to movie translations than there are bad.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Bladerunner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
The Shining http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_%28film%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
David Lynch's DUNE. He took Frank Herbert's horribly boring and long-winded book and actually made something interesting (though often times still boring).
I love the book. I can't stand the movie. I like other Lynch's movies though.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Bladerunner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
The Shining http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_%28film%29

I love the book. I can't stand the movie. I like other Lynch's movies though.
I haven't seen all of Lynch's work, but of what I've seen I agree his movies and his work on television (except for the TV series "On The Air"). "Blue Velvet" was excellent (it was essentially "Twin Peaks" without the TV censorship). I did enjoy "Dune" as a movie, but I haven't read the original novels.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This is an excellent adaptation of E.M. Forster's short story, The machine stops.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0223855159236#

This is the story that the Book Club just selected for their January discussion, which will probably start sometime in February.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a happy_terd production