Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
What is the process for reporting errors in ebooks from Amazon?

Need a little help here. Wanted to know has anyone else run into a situation where they downloaded a book from Amazon and it has massive amounts of spelling errors? What did you do? Did you take note of them and send a message to Amazon? I expect this to happen from time to time when downloading PDFs and converting them (formatting errors), but these are outright spelling issues which I assumed, Amazon would fix before allowing the book to be purchased.

Any thoughts on how this should be handled? I have been taking notes of the misspelled words so I can consolidate them at the end of the read. Example: "I am not going to wok" instead of "I am not going to work". It is things like that. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I want to be clear about this - it is not impacting by ability to read the book, it is more annoying than anything else - this is probably more a function of my meticulious nature and finding these errors vs. getting a refund. I wanted to provide this information back to Amazon so they can correct the book.

Last edited by chilady1; 07-09-2009 at 02:19 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You can contact Kindle Customer Support and:
1. Report the problem
2. Get a refund for your purchase (back up on USB or PC if you want to keep the copy even with the errors - Amazon will probably pull it from your K)
3. Request the copy be pulled from sale and a new version supplied by the publisher.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You can contact Kindle Customer Support and:
1. Report the problem
2. Get a refund for your purchase (back up on USB or PC if you want to keep the copy even with the errors - Amazon will probably pull it from your K)
3. Request the copy be pulled from sale and a new version supplied by the publisher.
4. Pray
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4. Pray
Sacrificing small white rodents might be needed to get a new edited version in your lifetime.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
poohbear_nc nailed it. I've purchased more than 100 books for my K1, and only a couple of times was the formatting so bad that I called them. Both times I got a refund. Once I struggled through the book anyway, the other time I just deleted it.

I always get samples before buying any book, and the most annoying part of that is some books have an huge amount of junk before the body of the book begins: forward, acknowledgments, table of contents. Most infuriating of all is the "Praise for this book" where numerous reviews are shown. By the time you start the actual book, there is not enough left to judge whether it is worth buying. In every case of this, I don't buy the book, and send an email to Amazon about it, suggesting they urge the publishers for forgo this nonesense. Never got an answer back.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I highlight the typos so that I have clear, specific evidence. If you highlight, then immediately delete the highlight, you still have a copy in "My Clippings". I then use "My Clippings" to generate a list of typos for an email to Amazon Kindle Support, and request that they get the publisher to fix it. The Support web page has a place for the order number, even, so that you can be specific about the book. Sometimes I also email the publisher with the same list, so that they can see the extent of the problem. Only if consumers complain, will the publishers take any notice.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4. Pray
I have to agree. After working in a CS dept for a publishing company for over 10 years, I hate to tell you that it will be rare if you get a corrected copy. We would get hundred of emails a week from people complaining about spelling errors. We would forward them to the editors, but rarely did I ever see anything fixed. I'm not sure if anything is different with ebooks, but you never know.
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
Novelwriter
Big Dog
Novelwriter began at the beginning.

Device: None
Generally Amazon will refund any purchase. I wouldn't much worry about trying to get the issue fixed yourself (dealing with Amazon). They really don't care if a author's/publisher's book has typos or other grammatical errors in it. It's kinda like asking Barnes and Noble to "pull a book from their shelves" for the same reason. Ultimately the responsibility lies on the author/publisher (Sometimes you can click on their name at the top of the listing though - and find their email contact info).

If not, simply leave a review stating the issues.. I GUARANTEE the Author/Publisher will fix the issues then. Otherwise, he/she may not get any more sales. However, please make sure you "UPDATE" the review if and when the Author/Publisher leaves a comment about fixing it :-)

Novelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote