Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
2 Kindles on same Amazon account?

Let's say there is 2 kindles in a family and they use the same Amazon account, would this work for sharing books within the family?

*EDIT*
Huray for me, first post and I didn't search before posting...
This is possible, found the answer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40328

Last edited by Bjorn; 03-04-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Yup, correct. I have two Kindles and three iPod touches on my account - all family members...
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is what I like. I have my Kindle and my sister's on the same account so we can share books Cheaper that way
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
Let's say there is 2 kindles in a family and they use the same Amazon account, would this work for sharing books within the family?

*EDIT*
Huray for me, first post and I didn't search before posting...
This is possible, found the answer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40328

I have two Kindles, as well. (My wife doesn't "read" - if you understand what I'm saying.)

It's somewhat confusing, because when I download a book (or a Sample), Amazon NOW prompts me for what Kindle I wish to download to when placing the book purchase (or Sample) onto my computer first. (If at home, I always like to place the book onto my computer. I also want back-ups, so all the books I've purchased get saved onto my computer, anyway.)

For example, when I go to "Send Sample Now," I have to choose among 3 items:

1) Donald's 3rd Kindle (this is my Kindle Int'l I just bought)
2) Donald's Kindle (this is my Kindle U.S. only)
3) Donald's Kindle for PC 2 (what the hell is this, you may ask. Well, I THINK it may be my computer [or Kindle PC software on my computer. BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW!).

I MUST choose to which "device" to download to before I can click on the "Send Sample Now" button.

So my questions are these:

If both Kindles are on the same account - and they are - then why not simply have only ONE choice? Why are there 3 choices?

When I go to "Transfer via Computer," and click on "Send Sample Now," I then have to choose to which Kindle I want to "assign" (my word choice) before I can do anything.

ADDED JUST NOW: I just now downloaded a sample to my computer and tried to open it with my computer. Kindle PC loads up and these are the words: "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (The book is on my desktop. I'm wondering if it must be in a specific folder?)

This is all very confusing, and perhaps someone who's experienced this conundrum can enlighten me.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-17-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Each of your Kindles and Kindle book reading devices has a unique PID. Every download is coded with DRM for that particular PID. You can share your content among the devices on your account but each download will have DRM specific to that device.

I download all my content to my K1 (as it's the first in the list). I use K1 and Calibre as a back. The K1 is also the master PID for DRM removal for future use. For K2, I just pull books from the archive as needed (I don't keep a lot of content on K2).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Its very economic. Share all the books you want
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
this makes me wonder, can one migrate a kindle from one account to another? this would open the possibility of creating a social network of people sharing their electronic books somehow (not 100% sure how DRM would prevent this, but I like the memory of swapping books, disks and audio cassettes with my friends).
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
harlamar
harlamar began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle or ipad, which? (or neither?)
Well, this is pretty interesting - - "Yup, correct. I have two Kindles and three iPod touches on my account - all family members... "

Its an interesting question of whether one can migrate a kindle from one account to another, it seems possible to me (well, more possible than convincing my boss on a dental plan [link removed - moderation]). Now, i'll be searching for some peer kindle networks out there, although always careful of what information to share...

Last edited by dreams; 10-16-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: [link removed - moderation] | Last edited by harlamar; 05-14-10 at 08:57 AM.
harlamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I just now downloaded a sample to my computer and tried to open it with my computer. Kindle PC loads up and these are the words: "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (The book is on my desktop. I'm wondering if it must be in a specific folder?)

This is all very confusing, and perhaps someone who's experienced this conundrum can enlighten me.
Don,

I found it confusing as well, but I can assure you that can still read the book on both Kindles (without having to pay for it twice).

But you do have to download it twice. In each case, choose to download it to your PC, but when it prompts you for the device on which you want to read the book, choose one of the Kindles for the first download, and the other for the second download.

The same is true if one of the "devices" is in fact the Kindle for PC application. But not if it's the iPhone or iPod Touch application - for those cases, you only need to download it once. The iPod will pick it when you do a refresh.

Hope this helps.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
If you have 3 devices on one account can you synchronize bookmarks between 2 of the devices but exclude the 3rd one?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
It is my understanding that when you share Kindles this way, you're also sharing one credit card. Don't think I want to share my credit card on a social network.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
this makes me wonder, can one migrate a kindle from one account to another? this would open the possibility of creating a social network of people sharing their electronic books somehow (not 100% sure how DRM would prevent this, but I like the memory of swapping books, disks and audio cassettes with my friends).
Technically you can de-register it with, say Bookster's Account, and add it to Bookster's Mum's Account. It will receive BM's books, but, I suppose, won't be able to read and/or receive (or even keep, I believe) Bookster's books from Bookster's Account.
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Gayle1942
Gayle1942 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle is registered to my daughter's account so we can share ebooks. When I want to purchase an ebook, I go to my account buy the book but since I don't have the Kindle registered to my account, it gives me the option to gift it to someone else. I expect you can do that even if you do have a Kindle registered to that account but I don't know because I don't have that. Anyway, I gift the book to her. She then gets an email to which she has to respond to accept the gift. Once she does that, I go to her account and download the book to my Kindle. If she wants to, she can download the book to the Kindle app on her iPad. If she buys a book, I can also go to her account and download it to my Kindle.

I have to have the password for her account in order to download to my Kindle although I guess it would work if I didn't have that -- she would just have to go initiate the download to my Kindle. This might not work so well if she didn't trust me to not buy stuff on her account since it would go onto her credit card. She might not like it if I got myself a new TV or fancy camera.
Gayle1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
One thing that nobody here has pointed out is that having multiple Kindles on one account for multiple users either means that you have to read the books at different times, or turn of the syncing issue [if you don't want to be pestered with the last page read sync message].

We have three on one account [six devices... my K3, my daughter's K3SO, my girlfriend's K3SO, my phone, and two PCs used by me]. I turned off the last page synchronization features (didn't use it much anyhow) because my daughter and I were both reading the same book at the same time. Also, I don't think that there's a straightforward way to reset the last page read to the beginning of the book when the next person starts reading it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
One thing that nobody here has pointed out is that having multiple Kindles on one account for multiple users either means that you have to read the books at different times, or turn of the syncing issue [if you don't want to be pestered with the last page read sync message].

We have three on one account [six devices... my K3, my daughter's K3SO, my girlfriend's K3SO, my phone, and two PCs used by me]. I turned off the last page synchronization features (didn't use it much anyhow) because my daughter and I were both reading the same book at the same time. Also, I don't think that there's a straightforward way to reset the last page read to the beginning of the book when the next person starts reading it.
My wife and I have turned off the sync, although we rarely ever read the same book at once anyway. The biggest problem we have is that sharing the same account can screw up the recommendations feature since we probably only read the same book 5% of the time.

As for going back to the beginning, it is usually as easy as using the menu to "Go To The Beginning". It may not be automatic, but it works easy enough.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote