Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What I miss from the pBooks

Now that I have a Cybook, I'm enjoying very much the ereading experience. Very convenient and it's making me read more than before.

However, I still miss a couple of things:

- Nice and stylish covers. Call me shallow, but I really miss a colourful cover in my books. It's as if the books lost a little bit of identity after ebook conversion (only black & white covers and, most of the times, not full screen or even absent. And you'll only see it once, when you start reading).

- The feel of volume and weight of a pBook. It's VERY good to have a weightless ereader and is allowing me to read in places and positions never tried before. However, I still miss a little bit of that sensation of holding a real book.

- Not being able to skim some pages. Sometimes, I like to take a peek of the following pages, to know when I will reach a chapter ending or a text break, to plan how much I will keep reading in that session. With ebooks, that's not pratical.

And you?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Now that I have a Cybook, I'm enjoying very much the ereading experience. Very convenient and it's making me read more than before.

However, I still miss a couple of things:

- Nice and stylish covers. Call me shallow, but I really miss a colourful cover in my books. It's as if the books lost a little bit of identity after ebook conversion (only black & white covers and, most of the times, not full screen or even absent. And you'll only see it once, when you start reading).

- The feel of volume and weight of a pBook. It's VERY good to have a weightless ereader and is allowing me to read in places and positions never tried before. However, I still miss a little bit of that sensation of holding a real book.

- Not being able to skim some pages. Sometimes, I like to take a peek of the following pages, to know when I will reach a chapter ending or a text break, to plan how much I will keep reading in that session. With ebooks, that's not pratical.

And you?
I miss the cover art too .... which is why I would really like to be able to edit the metadata in the mobi files. And, please don't tell me to use mobi2mobi ... that program is a pain in the rear. The feature I think I like best in Calibre is the ability to stick in the IBSN number and pull up cover art. Now, that's what I call handy.

As for weight .... I can't say I miss it at all, but that's because I'm having joint problems and it's difficult for me to pick up anything much heavier than my Kindle. However, if you wanted to add weight, you could always go to the store and buy some of those little lead weights they sell for drapes. A little velcro and .... you've got a nice heavy book on your hands.

I'm also not one for skimming ahead. But, the progress bar on my Kindle does a very good job of telling me where I am in the book ... and I can live with that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't miss them at all
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm also not one for skimming ahead. But, the progress bar on my Kindle does a very good job of telling me where I am in the book ... and I can live with that.
What I meant with skiming, is that I just look at the text, to figure how much can I read in that reading session. My main time for reading it's at night, before sleeping. And I can't really risk myself to distract and finding me reading at 3 am! So I like to take a peek and see how many pages 'til the next text break or end of chapter, and read 'til there. Or maybe realizing that I can stil read 2 more chapters before turning off the light.

That's what I meant. I would never spoil a story by actualy reading ahead.

Last edited by Over; 07-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
When reading late at night, I too, tend to want to read to the end of a chapter and then go to sleep. I've adapted based on the author I'm reading. Some have very short chapters so I can kind of guess. Others have long chapters so I just have to decide where to stop on my own.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-07-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I miss the little plot synopsis that's usually included on the dust jacket or back of the book, especially when it's one of the books I've downloaded for free and don't know enough about the plot to know if I'm currently in the mood to read it. Lately I've read 5-6 pages into a book before realizing it's not the one I wanted to read.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Yes...to all of the above.

I miss the covers--and the synopsis.

I also like to peak ahead to see how many pages I have left until I reach the end of the chapter. I even do this on my Sony sometimes. Just page forward until I get to the next chapter and then back to where I am. Not a very good solution as it takes a lot more time than just glancing forward in a pBook.

But, on the other hand, I'm enjoying my Sony immensely. I love having so many books on hand at any one time.

I also have a fairly large selection of unread pBooks that I purchased before I got my 505, so I sneak one of those into my reading list every once in a while.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
In the obverse, what I don't miss about p-books is when I'm away from home, finish a book in a series, and wish thta I had the next one available to read. With the Kindle, I can either go to it in the index if I have it, or dl it if it is available from a variety of sources.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't miss anything at all. I went "e" and don't plan to go back!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
In the obverse, what I don't miss about p-books is when I'm away from home, finish a book in a series, and wish thta I had the next one available to read.
Completely agree with that! And now that I keep a series order list on my Reader, I know exactly which book to start next.

Dreamer
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
What I meant with skiming, is that I just look at the text, to figure how much can I read in that reading session. My main time for reading it's at night, before sleeping. And I can't really risk myself to distract and finding me reading at 3 am! So I like to take a peek and see how many pages 'til the next text break or end of chapter, and read 'til there. Or maybe realizing that I can stil read 2 more chapters before turning off the light.

That's what I meant. I would never spoil a story by actualy reading ahead.
Ohhhhhh .... got it. Yeah, I suppose I might miss that a little myself. Not enough to make me give up my ebook, however.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I miss the little plot synopsis that's usually included on the dust jacket or back of the book, especially when it's one of the books I've downloaded for free and don't know enough about the plot to know if I'm currently in the mood to read it. Lately I've read 5-6 pages into a book before realizing it's not the one I wanted to read.

Dreamer
You know what I've been doing? No .... of course you don't, so I'll tell you. I've been downloading the synopsis for the free ebooks from sources that sell the pbooks online.

Then, I copy that into my PC database (for which I am using Calibre at the moment ... although it breaks my heart that I can't make mobi conversions with it).

Then, I also d/l the cover art for the book. That way, at least on my PC, I've got cover art and a synopsis for each book. The one reason I really wish that Calibre allowed conversion into mobi/prc is that, if that were possible, I could also have that kind of information on my Kindle ... which would be ever so nice.

But, since you have a Sony, you can do that already. And .... OMG, that ice cream looks soooo goooood!!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
You know what I've been doing? No .... of course you don't, so I'll tell you. I've been downloading the synopsis for the free ebooks from sources that sell the pbooks online.

Then, I copy that into my PC database (for which I am using Calibre at the moment ... although it breaks my heart that I can't make mobi conversions with it).

Then, I also d/l the cover art for the book. That way, at least on my PC, I've got cover art and a synopsis for each book. The one reason I really wish that Calibre allowed conversion into mobi/prc is that, if that were possible, I could also have that kind of information on my Kindle ... which would be ever so nice.

But, since you have a Sony, you can do that already. And .... OMG, that ice cream looks soooo goooood!!

I may start doing that with new books, especially the ones without cover art.

Glad you approve of the yummy goodness!

Dreamer
Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I may start doing that with new books, especially the ones without cover art.

Glad you approve of the yummy goodness!

Dreamer
I may have to have some ice cream today .... but seriously, my usual routine now is to pop over to Amazon, grab the synopsis and the IBSN number (from any edition of the book .... I usually just use the one that has the cover art I like the best), paste both of those into Calibre, which pulls up the cover art automatically.

Doesn't take long at all ....
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes to covers and synopses... a lot of what I've been reading in ebooks is Terry Pratchett, who doesn't seem to believe in book chapters, but otherwise I'd miss the look-ahead feature as well. (I really believe that all eink displays need the ability to quickly scan the thumbnails of upcoming pages.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote