Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
Same here. They were also the only site where I could buy UK books (I live in the US). Darn it. And I'd finally decided to pick up a couple of books from my UK-book wish list today.
You may wish to try Kobo. That's what I do for buying UK ebooks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You may wish to try Kobo. That's what I do for buying UK ebooks.

Don
I think I tried before and it was too complicated--either that, or I did something wrong. With BoB, all I needed was a UK address. I used my PayPal account for all my transactions.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
But I just signed up for an account yesterday... I did find it strange that the books I looked at were unavailable when I tried to purchase.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
The end is nigh for small ebook sites... The Oligarchs are closing in....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I don't get is they didn't sent out a email or anything! No posts on their Facebook page either. If it hadn't been for someone here I wouldn't of checked it and say I could of lost purchases if I've yet to download them.

That is not acceptable. Every other store that closed gave us a warning.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Guess you don't remember PaperbackDigital. There one day, gone the next with no chance to download like BoB is doing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Guess you don't remember PaperbackDigital. There one day, gone the next with no chance to download like BoB is doing.
Who? Never heard of them. BOB isn't some small store. They send out newsletters and have a Facebook page. It's still no excuse for not letting their customers know.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
What I don't get is they didn't sent out a email or anything! No posts on their Facebook page either. If it hadn't been for someone here I wouldn't of checked it and say I could of lost purchases if I've yet to download them.

Well, if it's back in business then no warning was necessary; if not, we may still get an email in time to download all purchases. If they're able to resolve their issues in short order, not telling people is probably the best strategy; customers won't feel wary of them if they missed a brief interruption.

OTOH, if I had known last weekend, I would have bought a heck of a lot more at 40% off! I figured there's always another sale. There's a lesson there; if the price is as good as it's going to get, no point in postponing until the next sale.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Aw, had started using them for some epub purchases.... might need to consider Kobo instead but I just am not too keen on the storefront for them. Hopefully not the end of BoB and we'll see it come back, doesn't sound too promising though
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have some $30 in my account there, suppose I can kiss those goodbye.
Dang, I had $2.24 in my account from the two free audiobooks and one free epub book I bought. I didn't realize I was such a big spender there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Who? Never heard of them. BOB isn't some small store. They send out newsletters and have a Facebook page. It's still no excuse for not letting their customers know.
No, I agree that they should have sent something out. They may still yet I suppose.

Back in 2007? when PaperbackDigital closed it was a pretty big deal for quite a few folks. They just one day put a graphic up on their website indicating they were closed and that was that.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Back in 2007? when PaperbackDigital closed it was a pretty big deal for quite a few folks. They just one day put a graphic up on their website indicating they were closed and that was that.
I'd forgotten that one. They closed on 1st January 2008. Now added to the Wikipedia entry on DRM snafus.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Books On Board
I understand that they carried more than Romance Novels, but you couldn't tell that
from all their emails or their web site home page. I never bothered with them because
they appeared to lack any interest in providing the kind on reading material I am interested in.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd forgotten that one. They closed on 1st January 2008. Now added to the Wikipedia entry on DRM snafus.
LOL, I just went to their old website and it still has the graphic that met people the day they closed all those years ago...

Old 04-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Books On Board
I understand that they carried more than Romance Novels, but you couldn't tell that
from all their emails or their web site home page. I never bothered with them because
they appeared to lack any interest in providing the kind on reading material I am interested in.
Yes, they carried pretty much everything that Amazon, B&N and Kobo do minus most of the self pub books, but you're right their emails rarely reflected that fact.