Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #31
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
This was indeed my problem with the arm build (see above )

My current problem is with build:x86:static . g++ is unhappy with some assembler code in onyx_wireless... given that it's unlikely that I will ever need that on the x86 platform, I'm wondering whether I should just disable it...

Code:
[  1%] Building CXX object code/src/wireless/CMakeFiles/onyx_wireless.dir/ap_item.cpp.o
cd /home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/build/x86/code/src/wireless && /usr/bin/g++   -DSHARE_ROOT=\"/usr/share\" -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_UNIX -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_TEST_LIB -DQT_DBUS_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_TEST_LIB -DQT_DBUS_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/third_party/gtest/include -I/home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/code/include -I/opt/onyx/arm/include -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtScript -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtWebKit -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtGui -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtTest -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtDBus -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtXml -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtSql -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtNetwork -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtCore   -Wall -Werror -o CMakeFiles/onyx_wireless.dir/ap_item.cpp.o -c /home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/code/src/wireless/ap_item.cpp
/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtCore/qatomic_arm.h: Assembler messages:
/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtCore/qatomic_arm.h:131: Error: no such instruction: `swpb %bl,%al,[%rdx]'
make[2]: *** [code/src/wireless/CMakeFiles/onyx_wireless.dir/dialup_dialog.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
When I compile the SDK for x86, the qt header files from my system are used, not those from /opt/onyx/include. Do you have the qt header files installed? It could also be that you have some environment variable defined that tells the build script that they should use the arm headers.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
When I compile the SDK for x86, the qt header files from my system are used, not those from /opt/onyx/include. Do you have the qt header files installed? It could also be that you have some environment variable defined that tells the build script that they should use the arm headers.
libqt4-dev is installed.
No special environment variables are set.
Nonetheless, the arm headers are explicitely included:
Code:
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/build/x86/CMakeFiles 
[  2%] Building CXX object code/src/wireless/CMakeFiles/onyx_wireless.dir/ap_item.cpp.o
cd /home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/build/x86/code/src/wireless && /usr/bin/g++   -DSHARE_ROOT=\"/usr/share\" -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE -DCONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_UNIX -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_TEST_LIB -DQT_DBUS_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_TEST_LIB -DQT_DBUS_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/third_party/gtest/include -I/home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/code/include -I/opt/onyx/arm/include -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtScript -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtWebKit -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtGui -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtTest -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtDBus -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtXml -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtSql -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtNetwork -I/opt/onyx/arm/include/QtCore   -Wall -Werror -o CMakeFiles/onyx_wireless.dir/ap_item.cpp.o -c /home/grsch/arbeit/home/boox_m92/booxsdk/code/src/wireless/ap_item.cpp
There must be some problem with the make files (didn't find the source of the problem, yet)... could it be that they updated the repository between your checkout and mine?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Starting with a fresh checkout and using
build:static instead of build:arm/x86:static it finally worked.

Furthermore, I managed to compile some of the packages in boox-opensource , though not all:
  • dictionary_tool was missing the libz statement again (patch attached)
  • cr3, djvu_reader, fbreader_onyx, feed_reader, music_player, rss_reader failed to compile for X86 (not yet tried for ARM) for diverse reasons (not yet tried to debug).
  • feed_reader seems to be missing a file (feed_action.cpp)

I've updated the wiki on how to compile boox-opensource packages.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dictionary_tool_arm_build.patch.txt (263 Bytes, 322 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #35
kodomo
M92 info archivist

So it turned out that music_player was merely missing some -dev packages on the x86 platform.

feed_reader is indeed missing the feed_action.h header file.

cr3, djvu_reader, fbreader_onyx, and rss_reader have portability issues compiling for x86 on amd64 machines (e.g., casting pointers to int).

djvu_reader and rss_reader compile for arm on amd64, and for x86 in 32bit environments.

fbreader compiles for x86 in 32bit environments, if a not needed cryptopenssl lib inclusion is removed from its CMakeLists.txt (patch attached) - but arm toolchain & sdk are lacking the needed libcrypto .

cr3 yields linker errors (several 'multiple definition' errors, such as this one)

Code:
./../../../libs/libonyx_ui.a(number_dialog.cpp.o): In function `ui::NumberDialog::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent*)':
number_dialog.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `ui::NumberDialog::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent*)'
All in all, the 32bit environment tools also seem much more forgiving, as the libz (missing in some CMakeLists.txt) was found even without the applied patches.

Hence what we need from Onyx seems
  • The feed_action.h header file
  • The crypto lib in the SDK (prebuilt and/or source)
  • The kernel sources and patches
  • A solution to the cr3 linker issue (anyone?)
Attached Files
File Type: txt fbreader_build.patch.txt (310 Bytes, 342 views)
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #36
kodomo
M92 info archivist

...wrote a support ticket requesting the missing resources (but didn't get feedback that submission actually worked)... hope they will react

Cheers!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer
Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
libcrypto is provided by the openssl package, you can download the sources here.
Koudijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koudijs View Post
libcrypto is provided by the openssl package, you can download the sources here.
Cool - an OpenBoox devel. stumbled across our thread

Welcome, Koudijs!

Thx for the link (though I'd still prefer them adding it to the regular sdk package :P )

Btw., since you're already 'here' - do you happen have a pointer to firmware/software update (procedure/safety) documentation?

Do the update routines reside in the bootloader? Initrd? Another partition? Or does one have to fear bricking a device by replacing files in the regular file system?

And are there plans to extend OpenBoox support to the M92? :P
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Btw., since you're already 'here' - do you happen have a pointer to firmware/software update (procedure/safety) documentation?

Do the update routines reside in the bootloader? Initrd? Another partition? Or does one have to fear bricking a device by replacing files in the regular file system?
You could give a look at this post of mine.

I didn't mention there that the bootloader runs the update kernel+initramfs only if you hold down the "ok" button (if there is no update file, nothing happens, except displaying messages).

Just replacing files in the root filesystem will do no permanent harm. A bad flash can brick the device, since the initramfs where most of the updating procedure is gets updated as well, leaving you unable to update again; however that update is done last, so you should be able to log in the M92 and fix everything by hands.
Also as long as the bootloader is good you should be able to flash a good image manually, but I don't know how to connect to the serial port (no obvious serial/jtag pin header).

Hope this helps!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #40
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
When connecting to my M92 via g_serial over USB everything works fine. But as soon as I log out by typing "exit" in the remote console, I have to remove the "g_serial.ko" module on M92 and insmod it again in order to login again. Is this intended? Any way around this?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #41
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
When connecting to my M92 via g_serial over USB everything works fine. But as soon as I log out by typing "exit" in the remote console, I have to remove the "g_serial.ko" module on M92 and insmod it again in order to login again. Is this intended? Any way around this?
There should be no need to remove and insert back the module, just run again the start script, because putty exec's the shell, so it is not running anymore when you logout. I didn't feel confortable running putty in a background loop, let alone changing the inittab, because having it running could prevent you from removing the module and I thought it was simpler this way. IMHO a script that runs getty, sleeps 5 seconds and loops is safe, as long as you kill it when you don't need the serial anymore.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #42
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Okay, your solution sounds very sensible Thanks for the explanation!
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #43
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
You could give a look at this post of mine.

I didn't mention there that the bootloader runs the update kernel+initramfs only if you hold down the "ok" button (if there is no update file, nothing happens, except displaying messages).

Just replacing files in the root filesystem will do no permanent harm. A bad flash can brick the device, since the initramfs where most of the updating procedure is gets updated as well, leaving you unable to update again; however that update is done last, so you should be able to log in the M92 and fix everything by hands.
Also as long as the bootloader is good you should be able to flash a good image manually, but I don't know how to connect to the serial port (no obvious serial/jtag pin header).

Hope this helps!
Does - thx (linked to wiki pointers section).

I'm still trying to assess the situation (though I don't have much time these days ), finding out what you can/cannot do and collecting infos/resources to play around with the device.

Mentioning jtag: Did you actually disassemble the device? It might interest some folks to know about the specific hardware built into the product (e.g., the wacom tablet type to facilitate a search for alternative styli).

Unfortunately, I didn't get any response from Onyx on my ticket requesting kernel sources/patches yet... I'm wondering whether something went wrong submitting the ticket, or whether they're ignoring it... has anyone else tried?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #44
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
I handed out a copy of the one I used to a few users, but it still not quite ok. As soon as I get a fully working configuration I'll publish it and let you know.
Hi FDD.

How are things going with the kernel config?

Can you please add a section to the Devel Wiki page w.r.t. kernel module compilation?

If I interpret this post https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ke...ly/006417.html correctly, there's a considerable chance that the M92 USB controller may support host mode... and that would open a new world of possibilities (bluetooth/keyboard support for text input, e.g. )

I hope that Onyx will release the sources and patches in accordance to the GPL, though... It'd be a shame to have to involve the FSF :-| .

btw.: I'm a little surprised to see bluetooth.ko included with the std. fw image... it seems to be used by the wifi driver... does anyone know why? Does the atheros chip support bluetooth, or is it only this bt coexistence interface?

Last edited by kodomo; 03-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #45
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
fbreader compiles for x86 in 32bit environments, if a not needed cryptopenssl lib inclusion is removed from its CMakeLists.txt (patch attached) - but arm toolchain & sdk are lacking the needed libcrypto .

cr3 yields linker errors (several 'multiple definition' errors, such as this one)

Code:
./../../../libs/libonyx_ui.a(number_dialog.cpp.o): In function `ui::NumberDialog::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent*)':
number_dialog.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `ui::NumberDialog::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent*)'
Compiling openssl and placing the resulting 'lib' and 'include' directory content into respective /opt/onyx/arm/ subdirectories allowed compilation of fbreader.

Attached, you'll find a patchfile modifying the Makefile to make it easy to use the toolchain.

To use it, download and unpack the openssl archive, patch the Makefile, set your environment variables (as described in the Development wiki), and call
Code:
export INSTALLTOP=`pwd`/build/arm ; export TC_PREFIX=arm-linux- ; make install
The binaries will then be put into ./build/arm .
Copy the contents of the include and lib directories into your onyx sdk environment (presumably under /opt/onyx/arm - mind that there's already an include/openssl directory).

fbreader should compile thereafter (mind to remove the other library dependency).

I'll update the Devel wiki to that respect.

Cheers!

Update: initial post was missing a '-' after arm-linux
Attached Files
File Type: txt openssl-0.9.8-Makefile.patch.txt (1.7 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by kodomo; 03-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.