Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
goomonkey
goomonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Convert HTML

Hi,

I am new to using calibre, but already love it. I am using it to convert files to put on my nook. So far, it has been working well, but I have been having problems with conversion of webpages. I have tried saving webpages as "complete" in firefox because I need the pictures (it is a textbook). However, when I do that, and then open the file and convert it in calibre, I wind up with a blank document. If I export only the html, then the tables, but not the main body of the text, show up.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
goomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
sorin
Connoisseur
sorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Try to make a recipe for that site.
sorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin View Post
Try to make a recipe for that site.
I doubt that will help. If calibre can't handle the saved html there's probably something odd about the code there He hasn't really given enough information to understand why it doesn't work. I'd start by making sure that the saved html can be seen with a browser. For 99% of web pages, a saved html that will display fine in a browser will also convert fine and show both pictures and text. It's possible his "textbook" has some protection on it, but if so, I'd expect the saved html to fail.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
goomonkey

Saved file

The saved file works fine. I opened it in chrome as well. No problems...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonkey View Post
The saved file works fine. I opened it in chrome as well. No problems...
Does "No problems" mean it's fixed, or just that the browsers work and calibre has trouble. If the browsers work, do they work without connection to the internet? IOW, are the browsers fetching something when they open the "saved html," or are they looking only at the locally saved material?
If it's all locally saved material, and you are having trouble adding it to calibre, how are you adding it to Calibre? You should just drag the index.html file into Calibre.
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
goomonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Does "No problems" mean it's fixed, or just that the browsers work and calibre has trouble. If the browsers work, do they work without connection to the internet? IOW, are the browsers fetching something when they open the "saved html," or are they looking only at the locally saved material?
If it's all locally saved material, and you are having trouble adding it to calibre, how are you adding it to Calibre? You should just drag the index.html file into Calibre.
Unfortunately, no problem means it works offline in the browser, but not in calibre. I have been dragging the index.html file to calibre, which it then labels as a zip file.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I wonder if the book is not really text, but simply images of pages? If so that might explain some of the problems. When the you load the html into a browser can you resize the window and get text flow to happen as the book contents are adjusted to fit the available window space?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonkey View Post
dragging the index.html file to calibre, which it then labels as a zip file.
That's normal. What about itimpi's question?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
goomonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I wonder if the book is not really text, but simply images of pages? If so that might explain some of the problems. When the you load the html into a browser can you resize the window and get text flow to happen as the book contents are adjusted to fit the available window space?
Good thought, but not the case, I can select the text, and I looked at the html file. Definitely not images...

Oh well.