Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Thumbs up Played with a Kobo Wi Fi last night... nice

Yep, My daughter got a new Wi Fi Kobo for Christmas and I synced it to my account and d/l my library.

The login to wireless was flawless as it was an open connection and logging into kobobooks.com was seamless as well. It took about the same amount of time to sunc her kobo as it does to do mine through usb.

All in all a very painless experience, I'm not sure how easy it is to purchase through wifi is, but that is a topic for another day.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
purchase via wifi is pretty painless as well, so long as you've setup your payment options in advance. I usually will only use wifi for firmware updates as I'll usually just sync my books whenever the battery gets low.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I prefer shopping on my pc just because it's quicker to sift through large amounts of books on the website.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
EDinNB
Enthusiast

If I'm buying for us, it will be desktop and then she can sync at will..

EDinNB
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just don't lean on the screen. I broke mine today, meant to push it away from myself as I was getting into my truck. Instead my hand slipped and I ended up putting my whole weight on the centre of the screen. Needless to say it doesn't work anymore and everybody here is sold out. Soooo po'd at myself right now, I loved my Kobo
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I strongly suggest investing in a solid book cover for protection. I find the pouch type to still be too soft and while it they will help against screen scratches, they are still very bendy.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I strongly suggest investing in a solid book cover for protection. I find the pouch type to still be too soft and while it they will help against screen scratches, they are still very bendy.
Actually after that incident I am getting my wife to make me one, with a hard plastic insert for the part that covers the screen to avoid any future mishaps like that.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Actually after that incident I am getting my wife to make me one, with a hard plastic insert for the part that covers the screen to avoid any future mishaps like that.
might be a lot more expensive that way. I was able to find some nice leather book covers with what I'm assuming are carboard inserts, but still pretty stable, for $6 CAD a piece on amazon.ca. could easily slip in plastic inserts to solidify it more, and I'm sure it'd be cheaper and less time than it would take yourself.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDinNB View Post
If I'm buying for us, it will be desktop and then she can sync at will..
EDinNB
You don't HAVE to use the WiFi at all if you have the WiFi Kobo. Having used both, there is no way I would buy the original Kobo at this point in time. The WiFi version is noticeably faster, and because the hardware is so much better, eventually it will probably have features that will not be made available for the Kobo-1.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Just don't lean on the screen. I broke mine today, meant to push it away from myself as I was getting into my truck. Instead my hand slipped and I ended up putting my whole weight on the centre of the screen. Needless to say it doesn't work anymore and everybody here is sold out. Soooo po'd at myself right now, I loved my Kobo
Oh no! RIP, Danger's Kobo.
I made myself a hardcover-journal-style cover for that same reason- it always made me nervous to have that fragile screen out in the open.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
EDinNB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You don't HAVE to use the WiFi at all if you have the WiFi Kobo. Having used both, there is no way I would buy the original Kobo at this point in time. The WiFi version is noticeably faster, and because the hardware is so much better, eventually it will probably have features that will not be made available for the Kobo-1.
I suspect there will be plenty of "barely used" ereaders appearing oneBay in the next year...

I'll keep my eye out for some decent priced wifi unets and then offer mine up to the unsuspecting masses.....

It will be the same as whats worn under an old Scot's Kilt...Nothing worn... all in perfect working order...

EDinNB
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I got a leather book-style cover on Amazon.com for $17 and it rocks! Glad I didn't wait for the book-style covers at Chapters...they had to go back to the drawing board after making them too big. Ooops!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Danger
Evangelist

Well after a 200km round trip I now have a new Black K2 thanks to a wonderful lady at Wal-Mart who was good enough to hold their last Kobo in stock for me until I showed up. Yes 200km as NOBODY closer had any left in stock and I couldn't wait the "1-2 weeks to ship". Was it worth it... oh yah, despite the really crappy weather.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Yay the christmas season is saved! lol.

That's the one downside of these things vs a paper book.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
That's the one downside of these things vs a paper book.
Yeah the single point of failure problem occurred to me when I went to Mexico. One little mishap by the pool and ALL the 140 books I brought with me would be toast.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote