Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I read all the Heinlein 'juveniles' well after becoming an adult. They were wonderful!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #62
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I think that's very judgemental and narrow-minded. I like Young Adult books and think people should be able to read what they like without shame.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #63
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
*Science Fiction
*Fantasy
*Cheesy romance
*The Old Man and the Sea
*Anything by Diana Gabaldon
*Anything by or about a celebrity
*Anything by or about a politician with the exception of The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #64
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The twilight saga.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #65
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Why do grownups want to read the same 500 words over and over?
I'd just like to point out that the same can be said of formulaic romance novels.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #66
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Taking the question literally, I would read most things for enough money no matter how boring.

What they couldn't pay me to read would be things that are too disturbing.

I think that's very judgemental and narrow-minded. I like Young Adult books and think people should be able to read what they like without shame.
the more disturbing the better as far as I am concerned. I love them.
Anybody can read what they like but as I said when 40 year old women start droolling like 13 year old girls over edward I dont walk I run from them. Creepy weirdos.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #67
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
I'd just like to point out that the same can be said of formulaic romance novels.
Now you've done it!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #68
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
the more disturbing the better as far as I am concerned. I love them.
And you are calling others creepy weirdos? Interesting.

I have no interest in Twilight myself, but I know people who do. I can assure you they are neither creepy nor weirdos.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #69
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
What!
Pay Me!?

I would sound out jumbles of letters if I was getting paid.
Beats my real job.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #70
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
And you are calling others creepy weirdos? Interesting.

I have no interest in Twilight myself, but I know people who do. I can assure you they are neither creepy nor weirdos.
Same here.

Also, not all YA is Twilight and Twilight is not all there is to YA.

And it may come as a surprise to some, but there is more to YA than vampire romance - and not all YA is even romance-focused at all! And even if there is some romance, although it's not the focus of the plot, not everyone reads the books for that.

Not that there is anything wrong with people who do. *shrugs*

Back on topic: "adult" books. Erotica. Most textbooks. Inspirational/religion-focused books. Anything featuring graphic rape or extremely graphic murders. Poetry. Books for pre-schoolers. Political treatises. Philosophy. Most anything that bores me, really. Although if they paid really well, I could probably pretend to read them / skim them...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've read and enjoyed the occasional YA book. In fact, a few years ago I searched the web to find, order, and read a crumbling copy of the 10th book in the Bomba the Jungle Boy series. As a youth, I bought the books whenever they arrived in one of our local Woolworth's 5 & 10¢ store. Unfortunately, they stopped selling the books after the ninth one. Since the whole point of the series was Bomba's search for his parents, whom he was to find in book ten, I spent the rest of my youth and most of my adult life never knowing what happened to them.

Bomba the Jungle Boy may have only been dime store young adult pulp fiction produced by the Stratemeyer Syndicate under the pseudonym Roy Rockwood, but it was the first series that really fired my imagination.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Enough money and I suppose I could read anything...

However, it would take LOTS of money (or threats of horrible things to come) to get me to read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #73
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
The Fifty Shades trilogy....no amount of money could get me to read it, and I'm broke
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
The Fifty Shades trilogy....no amount of money could get me to read it, and I'm broke
Come on.......everybody's got a price....
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #75
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I was actually thinking of this as well, but from what I saw when flicking through the first book it's an easy read, so for a lot of money... and maybe some alcohol...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton