Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Some perspective on why ebooks are so filled with errors.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-...b_1023072.html
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Given the convoluted workflow, it's a wonder ebooks aren't bigger piles of mess than they are.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds like a cop-out to me.
All they have to do is do the proof-reading back and forth from the author, the type setters and publisher until all are happy just as they do now but ON THE ORIGINAL file document from the author, and only after that they should work on the layout and appearance and do PDF's or whatever else they do before printing or creating the ebook file.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
All they have to do is to proof-read the OCR'd output that serves as the source for the e-book. This isn't rocket science.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Sounds like a cop-out to me.
This is the same thing I thought.

Still an interesting read, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's definitely not an excuse. My favorite line from the article is, '"When you consider the fact that many e-books from the major houses are priced higher than paperbacks," Cronin says, "a mistake-riddled reading experience is pretty hard to rationalize."'
Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What a bunch of extremely clever people... how come you're not all producing perfectly proofed, edited and beautifully laid out books if it's so easy...

Quexos and RainingLemur have always known better regarding production than those who do it and howyoudoin is obviously reading a different article when he's talking about "OCR," where did that creep in...

As resident experts, let me know when your perfect publishing enterprises get off the ground and we can all bow down in awe and admiration...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
jupstin
Groupie

Sure, perfection is too much to expect, but should my kindle copy of Gene Wolfe's "On Blue's Water" really keep confusing "needler" (the name of a type of firearm,) with "needier"? Obviously, this is an OCR problem that apparently no one saw, and it doesn't happen once. I'd say more often than not the wrong word is used. I found a pirated version of another book in the series that had the same type of mistakes. Also, in the paper version of the book, hyphens are used to break words up, but in the kindle version, these words remain hyphenated even if they no longer occur at the end of a line. It's hard to chalk this up to anything other than either laziness or apathy. And yes, the kindle version cost more than the paperback version.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
On the one hand, I think it's nearly impossible to vanquish every last typo.

On the other hand, I picked up a Brautigan omnibus e-book from my local library (the one with Revenge of the Lawn), and gave up after 8% of the book because I had noted over a dozen obvious errors, e.g.:

"Hey, kid, take your head cut of your ass" ...
"No," she said. "I don't wan: any hamburger," ...

After reading that 8% and seeing errors that even a basic spellcheck would have caught, I was convinced that either (a) no one at the publisher had even read the ebook prior to selling it, and/or (b) no one at the publisher gave a f*ck about Richard Brautigan. The lack of professionalism on the part of the publisher made me really angry.

From the Gutenberg folks, I can accept a lower standard. But for people whose job it is to produce "perfectly proofed, edited and beautifully laid out books," and who charge top dollar, the standards are different.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
howyoudoin is obviously reading a different article when he's talking about "OCR," where did that creep in...
What do you mean? The author says, "While many of the most egregious errors involve scanning and OCR mistakes for older publications, book designer and typesetter Maggie Dana, author of the novel Beachcombing, explains why newer books aren't exempt"

It seems like a reasonable idea to conclude that closer proofreading (or proofreading at all) of OCR'd texts could help - at least when it comes to older publications.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What a bunch of extremely clever people... how come you're not all producing perfectly proofed, edited and beautifully laid out books if it's so easy...

Quexos and RainingLemur have always known better regarding production than those who do it and howyoudoin is obviously reading a different article when he's talking about "OCR," where did that creep in...

As resident experts, let me know when your perfect publishing enterprises get off the ground and we can all bow down in awe and admiration...
Because, like jupstin says, the sort of errors that are commonly encountered in shoddy ebooks are OCR errors. Where 'I' becomes '1', the serif 'l' becomes 'i', and the like.

But I guess we're just dumb folk with no idea of what's going on
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
From the Gutenberg folks, I can accept a lower standard. But for people whose job it is to produce "perfectly proofed, edited and beautifully laid out books," and who charge top dollar, the standards are different.
Exactly. When I spend $9.99 on a product that costs nothing to reproduce, I expect it to at least match the quality of the $7.99 version that I bought in a store.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Because, like jupstin says, the sort of errors that are commonly encountered in shoddy ebooks are OCR errors. Where 'I' becomes '1', the serif 'l' becomes 'T', and the like.
And one of my personal favorites - the letter "i" becomes :
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But how do we get a mess like with Snuff where a lot of the instances of people and couple were missing the leading space? The explanation of back and forthing a PDF doesn't explain this. Unless the PDF was used as the source and then errors are a free-for-all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how do we get a mess like with Snuff where a lot of the instances of people and couple were missing the leading space? The explanation of back and forthing a PDF doesn't explain this. Unless the PDF was used as the source and then errors are a free-for-all.
I know what you mean. There are some errors that I just can't "reverse engineer."