Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Ariadan
Ariadan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Downloading samples via USB

New Kindle owner here - forgive me if this has already been asked.

I have downloaded a sample of a book to my computer at work and have hooked up the USB cord to link my Kindle 3 with my computer. The file shows up under the Kindle/documents folder but when I remove the USB from my Kindle the document does not show up on my Home page of the Kindle. Am I doing something wrong.

Of note: when I view the Kindle/documents folder on my computer the document has a green key over the image of the file. Books that I have previously purchased do not have the green key.
Ariadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Ariadan

From the 'how samples work' page..

Amazon Kindle Device: Your sample will be sent automatically and wirelessly to the Kindle via Amazon Whispernet. Don't have a Kindle? Get yours here.

Free Reading Apps: Your sample will be sent automatically to your iPhone, PC, Mac, iPad, or BlackBerry device. Don't have a free Kindle Reading App? Download one here.
If you are outside a 3G wireless coverage area and cannot connect to Wi-Fi, select Transfer via Computer from the Deliver to menu when sending samples. You can then download the Kindle Edition to your computer and transfer to your USB connected Kindle.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Ariadan

I do not have WiFi at work and that is why I selected to download it to my computer. I have followed the directions from Amazon by moving that file to the Kindle/documents folder and can see the file in the Kindle/documents folder. I can not see the file on my Kindle when I inplug the USB cord.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadan View Post
I do not have WiFi at work and that is why I selected to download it to my computer. I have followed the directions from Amazon by moving that file to the Kindle/documents folder and can see the file in the Kindle/documents folder. I can not see the file on my Kindle when I inplug the USB cord.
Allrighty then. Next time you are in a position to do so, if someone else doesn't come up with a better idea, try the "call me" feature....use the "contact us" button on the bottom right of this page.....sign into your account, click on the call me feature and enter your phone number. They'll call you back immediately and walk you thru problems........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You could try downloading it again, in case it is corrupted. Or, tell us the name of the book, so that somone else can double-check whether the file works for them.

Is this Windows or Mac? If Windows, you can try changing the file extension from .azw to .mobi, and using Mobipocket Reader to open it, and view it on the PC (assuming that you don't have Kindle for PC).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Ariadan, try resorting your home screen? It should be there if it's in the documents folder.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Your work computer may have some weird permissions that are getting in the way. Possibly to prevent people from transferring data from the PC to a USB drive. It could also be automatically encrypting the file on the PC and the Kindle doesn't know what to do with the encryption on the file.

A "green key" is not an icon or symbol that I've seen on any of my Windows files, so I suspect it may be third-party security software installed by your paranoid SysAdmin. Do you have any friends in the IT department?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Ariadan

I have tried downloading 2 sample books:

The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson
NetBible

Neither shows up on Kindle page on Amazon but they are both in my Kindle/documents folder.

I also tried resorting but no luck there - I only have the User's Guide, the 2 dictionaries and one purchased book.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Ariadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your work computer may have some weird permissions that are getting in the way. Possibly to prevent people from transferring data from the PC to a USB drive. It could also be automatically encrypting the file on the PC and the Kindle doesn't know what to do with the encryption on the file.

A "green key" is not an icon or symbol that I've seen on any of my Windows files, so I suspect it may be third-party security software installed by your paranoid SysAdmin. Do you have any friends in the IT department?
This sounds like the likely solution - security is getting in the way. I'll try this at home and see if the same thing happens.

A big thanks to everyone!!