Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
After K2?

Now that we see the changes apparent in K2, what do we expect to see in K3?
Will they copy features from Ipod Touch and Iphone?
Bigger screen?
Additional wireless features?
Color?

What's the thinking out there and when might we see K3?

cheer
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There were several reports last year that Amazon was working on a device with a larger screen (presumably 9.7" EInk) primarily for college students. This would not be the K3, but may be the next release from Amazon in the US. See Report: Not one, but several Kindle successors in the works! and Report: A Kindle for college kids?. Note how many things those reports got wrong, but we do know that PVI is about to release (finally) its 9.7" screens and there will be several devices using these once they hit volume production. This screen is likely to be significantly more expensive than the 6" though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle Phone
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Bigger screen?
Color?

cheer
LOL! Isn't it a little too early to be speculating about what's in the K3 before we even get our hands on the K2?

:-P
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Bigger screen?
Color?

cheer
Will they ever make a device with a larger screen that can read tables and diagrams for the college crowd? what a boon that would be!

Will they ever get their heads out of the sand and find a way to go world wide? Wireless isn't even necessary.

After seeing how they butchered (only in my opinion, of course) the Kindle2, I don't have a lot of hope.

I will hold onto my two Kindle1's until they die a from being loved to death, and by then.........who knows?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I want to tsee what they come up with for the K9...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post
LOL! Isn't it a little too early to be speculating about what's in the K3 before we even get our hands on the K2?
Certainly not!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm thinking multitouch touchscreen for sure. if apple doesn't try to sue them, that is.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I think the K2 is going to be here for a long time. Assuming eink tech keeps pace, prices will slowly drop along with the occasional special discount. We'll see a 8.5x11 version of the K2 (not the K3).

The Kindle 3 will feature the next big thing in eink tech - either pure white with faster response or possibly color. We'll probably see a low-end version for $149 at about this point too (maybe less if they make it wifi).

The K1 was a proof of concept and beta unit. Other than a few tweaks, I think this is the version we'll have for the next few years.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's best to wait until the PVI 9.7" screens are out and see what companies do with them. Also, the Plastic Logic device is due out sometime in 2010. So (IMHO), I would wait and see what happens. And are these 9.7" screen also going to be using a glass substrate that may be more of an issue then on the 6" screens due to the larger size?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm hoping for a large-format reader in the fall.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's best to wait until the PVI 9.7" screens are out and see what companies do with them. Also, the Plastic Logic device is due out sometime in 2010. So (IMHO), I would wait and see what happens. And are these 9.7" screen also going to be using a glass substrate that may be more of an issue then on the 6" screens due to the larger size?
Actually, IIRC correctly the 9.7 inch devices were all delayed a year or so because the screens were to fragile so PVI nixed em so they could perfect a fully plastic and flexible screen that wouldn't be so brittle in such a big size. I think I heard that the screens will be going into production this year by second quarter. Of course, you know how that goes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I think I personally would opt for more features like touch screen and additional wireless features (like bluetooth) rather than size. The current size fits nicely in my handbag and I am not bothered by the amount of text on a single page.

For graphics, size is a whole other matter, but I only use my Kindle for leisure reading. (Although I did try to put an instructors reference manual on my Kindle and it turned all my little symbols into hash.)

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Bigger screen?
Color?
cheer
Out of all of those I expect to see additional wireless features and color next.

A touch screen would be $$$ at that size. The iphone is a pretty small touch screen after all. I reckon kindle 4 might be touch screen.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I want to tsee what they come up with for the K9...
You mean a talking device with an integrated laser ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developers corner, kindle