Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Looking for a 6"

Hi

I'm now looking to buy a 6" eReader (e-ink) which should provide following features: (in hierachic order of prefered)

- Searching for a specific page number in a pdf
- Opens 20MB text-only pdf
- Custom zooming, remembers zoom
- remembers last page
- setting bookmarks in pdf

Is there a device who can at least provide the first 3 needs?

edit: It should take 2gb SD Card.

Thanks for your help!
Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 10-09-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The Cybook does the 4 first ones, but it does not search a page number, just permits to jump to one - you input the number.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your files are "text only", however, you'd be a lot better off converting them to a proper eBook format rather than using PDF. PDF is a pretty awful format for eBooks, and it's easy to convert text PDFs to other, more "eBook-friendly", formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks both for the very helpful answers. Cybook will fit very good (I didnt mean a search function, rather a jump to page function).

I have a lot of pdf files. Why should I convert them? What would be the advantages? And how to convert pdf in a ebook friendly format - is this possible with batch?

Sorry a lot of questions from a 6" newbie.

Thanks again and greetings
Gogolo
Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Thanks both for the very helpful answers. Cybook will fit very good (I didnt mean a search function, rather a jump to page function).

I have a lot of pdf files. Why should I convert them? What would be the advantages? And how to convert pdf in a ebook friendly format - is this possible with batch?

Sorry a lot of questions from a 6" newbie.

Thanks again and greetings
Gogolo
See my post here about the reasons for not using PDF.

The Windows MobiPocket Reader software generally does a reasonable job of converting PDF to MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Gogolo
Addict

Very nice, thanks. I'll try to convert some and see how it works.

I just read that the Cybook has no folder structure. Hmm thats almost a killer argument for me. I should have written that in my list above.

Gogolo
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Very nice, thanks. I'll try to convert some and see how it works.

I just read that the Cybook has no folder structure. Hmm thats almost a killer argument for me. I should have written that in my list above.

Gogolo
Hanlin V3 and rebrands have excellent folder support (BeBook for instance).

Not so excellent Mobi support at the moment tho, Mobi works, but no dictionary lookup support, and no adding of your own fonts, just the "built in" ones.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict

And the Hanlin V3 supports jumping to a specific page? Opens a 20MB pdf textonly file?

Thanks!
Gogolo
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
And the Hanlin V3 supports jumping to a specific page?

Thanks!
Gogolo
Yes it does
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

Ok, thanks!

I will run further analysis

Gogolo
Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
And the Hanlin V3 supports jumping to a specific page? Opens a 20MB pdf textonly file?

Thanks!
Gogolo
No Mobipocket device including the Hanlin, Cybook, iRex offering actually supports an accurate jump to page. This is also true of all the PDA and even the PC implementation. They basically compute a guess as to the page number because there is no actual page number in the database. They use the length of the file to estimate a page number. If you read the book they update a counter so at that point the page number is accurate but they have no idea what the last page number is. If you jump ahead say 100 pages and compare that with what you get if you page forward to that same point you will not be on the same page number. Bookmarks are set to points in the file and not page numbers.

PDF is page oriented so page numbers are exact.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
PDF is page oriented so page numbers are exact.
Thank you, thats usefull, because I have pdf files with sometimes 5000 Pages and correct page jump is most important.

Gogolo
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
One more info for your questions:
it tales a 2 Gig SD card, and (this you did not ask) has 512 Mb of internal memory.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't forget to take a look at the Sony Reader PRS-700 due out in November. It has proper page numbers for LRF/LRX eBooks and remembers where you left off when reading. It will do all that you want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Gogolo
Addict

Jon, thanks for this hint!

Gogolo