Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Battery Life

One of my pals asked me which ereader is best for him, where the most important thing for him is the battery life. My Libra Pro's battery can go 24 hours without a charge if it is left on for 24 hours. How long can your reader go if it is left on for 24 hours?

I have not given my pal his answer as yet, its pending the answers to this question.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
From my Sony point of view up until recently I had PRS600 and the battery would last me 2 weeks between charges thats with reading around 2 hours a day. I now have a PRS650 and the battery seems to last longer but its early days for me on that.

However you cant just leave it "on" so to speak as the reader will put itself into sleep mode if it hast been used for a while. This still uses power but should still last 2 weeks.
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Excellent, any Kobo and Kindle users?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I think Kindle 3 has the best battery life that I have heard of and Sony is close behind. My Nook lasts 4-10 days between charges depending on how many books I read (usually 2-4 in a week). I never turn it off.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My Kobo lasts about 2 weeks and I read about 3-4 hours a day.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DXG lasts three - four weeks but I read in spurts so I have no idea what its real average is. The K3 has had plenty of folks confirm the one month mark.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle DXG:
1st charge gave me 8 days, reading about 1 or 2 a day and uploading about 50 books at that time.

Kindle 3 wifi (wifi off most of the time)
1st charge was 12/05/2010 ... reading about 2 or 3 hours a day, still is about 25% so, 13 days so far? and using wifi sometimes but sporadically ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Kindle would be his best bet in my opinion. My own experience with the Kindle is that the battery life is just as advertised. I got my Kindle at the beginning of October. I charged it after about a month of use. Since then, I have charged 1.5 times - the .5 was because I had it plugged into the computer at the time so thought I may as well top it up. I only use the wifi to download my purchases, which I make on the computer, and then switch it off.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have a kobo and i think this is for all eink screened ereaders but they basicley use little or no power if they are still, as the screen is never blank its page turns that take up the most power. I charge mine about once a week and have only once ran out of battery i forgot to check battery level.but all in all ereaders have great battery life
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The battery life is variable. The Nook's battery life is a great deal less then the K3 because it has the lcd screen at the bottom. I don't know what the Kobo's battery life is but the K3 gets a month, the DXG gets 2 weeks, Sony's get somewhere close to two weeks, the Nook gets about a week.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Kindle2 has the best battery life. With wifi and 3G off, it can hold a charge for around 4 weeks. In use with plenty of reading it can last up to 3 weeks (with wifi/3G off). Even with the wifi/3G on the entire time and being used, it will still last at minimum 2 weeks before needing a charge.

Of course this is jb asking....
We all know how you hate Amazon so the second option would be the non-color version of the Nook which lasts 7-10 days with wireless off.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

screwball there is no K2 with WiFi. The K3 has WiFi.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
From my Sony point of view up until recently I had PRS600 and the battery would last me 2 weeks between charges thats with reading around 2 hours a day. I now have a PRS650 and the battery seems to last longer but its early days for me on that.

However you cant just leave it "on" so to speak as the reader will put itself into sleep mode if it hast been used for a while. This still uses power but should still last 2 weeks.
With the new Sony Readers, if you have power management on, it goes into standby after 10 minutes of inactivity and powers down after 2 days of inactivity. I like the 2 day power down. But I do not like the 10 minute standby. I'd rather it be 30 minutes. That would be much more useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
daisywriter
daisywriter began at the beginning.

Device: none
This website about ebookreaders has extensive information about allmost all ebookreaders on the market and the battey duration is listed too.
daisywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
chloe garrett
chloe garrett began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
One of my pals asked me which ereader is best for him, where the most important thing for him is the battery life. My Libra Pro's battery can go 24 hours without a charge if it is left on for 24 hours. How long can your reader go if it is left on for 24 hours?

I have not given my pal his answer as yet, its pending the answers to this question.
I have had a Sony Reader for a year and the battery life got less and less. Granted, I am a big reader, but eventually the battery did not charge. Now, the big problem---I can either send the Sony back to repair--$100 or get a new one and lose all the books I have purchased.
Do any of the new readers have an easily replaceable battery--similar to a cellphone?
chloe garrett is offline   Reply With Quote