Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
sang
sang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quick scroll is a good function that should be added

Hi,

From my experience of using e-ink reader, the biggest problem is that it is difficult to navigate from one place to another easily.

For example, when I am reading a page and I need to refer back to another section, what you need to do is to enter the page number to go to there. But for most case, we do not know the exact page number but just the appropriate location. So we need to "guess" and try the page number for several times in order to go to the correct page.

So it should be better that have a function "Quick Scroll", this command show a scroll-bar-like item on the screen and we use the 5-way control to scroll to the page that we want to go. It is something like the one in iBook. And this should be possible even on e-ink device as it does not require fast refresh rate .

Last edited by sang; 07-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I agree its difficult to use it ,specially navigation
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, search navigation on e-Ink devices is slow and cumbersome. I'm not sure what the solution(s) might be. Maybe a thumbnail view of 20 or 30 pages on the screen. Sometimes we remember what the general layout of the screen looked like. Some readers allow you to use shortcuts to jump 10 pages at a time, like the Sonys. The Kindle DX (not sure about the K2) allows you to use the 5 way button Left to jump to the current or previous chapter's first page and the 5 way button Right to jump to the next chapter's first page. There are probably already many shortcuts built into any reader if you check the forums. But we really could use some better functionality.

Sadly nothing beats the old dogeared approach of a printed book. But with some imagination I'm sure they could greatly improve reader navigation.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-25-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
I'm pretty good at remembering a phrase from the passage I want so I just type that, and then either highlight or bookmark the page. Ultimately it works better for me than in a DTB. I can see everything on a few pages in the View My Notes & Marks feature.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote