Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
timbgray
timbgray began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre & iPad
Problem syncing large library with iPad

Made a mistake in selecting some specific books to sync from iTunes, those books sync'd fine, but all the other books were deleted. Chalk that one up to user error.

But when I use the sync all option (about 2600 books) it chuggs for a while, and I see the individual books going over, but when the sync is complete, there is still nothing in the iBook application. I can sync by selecting the individual books, but would prefer to have all of them on the ipad. (but the ibook app clearly isn't designed to manage a large library).

Any similar experiences, solutions?
timbgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
might want to contact apple support on this one. I have about 500 books synced just fine. maybe there is some limit, or bug.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Wow. I have 71 books, and the bookshelf has a definite lag when I open iBooks the first time...how is it with that many books on the shelf?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i use list view.. the shelf is just too cumbersome.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Not to be critical of other people's personal choices but I wouldn't dream of syncing any more than the 10 or so books on my to-read list. Everything else sits in the iTunes library but I stop syncing them after read.

I find the slow sync of the iPad to be the biggest annoyance. The backup length is directly related to the number of files in the iPad. Currently it seems to back-up everything instead of using incremental back-up of changes. Maybe once they fix that I'll reconsider, but for now I tend to manage files carefully to avoid 15 minute back-ups.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

well. once the books are synced they don't get resynced so they don't take up any more time. my backups don't take more than 10 minutes and i have a 64g ipad with 59 of it full, 20 of that video. does it try and do a full backup every time? have you ever let it complete itself once? have you tried contacting apple support?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well. once the books are synced they don't get resynced so they don't take up any more time. my backups don't take more than 10 minutes and i have a 64g ipad with 59 of it full, 20 of that video. does it try and do a full backup every time? have you ever let it complete itself once? have you tried contacting apple support?
I had been following the discussions on the Apple support boards and there seemed to be no resolution but I decided to go ahead and do as you suggested...

Long story short... there is a new iTunes version that ends in ".12" that iTunes version 9.1.1.11 does not auto update to. So I downloaded it directy and installed it. It's like night and day. The whole sync took seconds just like a good incremental back-up should

Thanks for the suggestion, Scott.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

ah yeah. i mentioned that version a few weeks ago. it was released a few hours after the .11 version was out. bad apple.

not a criticism against mobileread, we have some good discussions here, but this is not a replacement for apple's support forums.