Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Receiving 2.5 Update a Major Disappointment

So I finally manage to update my Kindle to v2.5. Excited, I try to create a collection, but much to my disappointment the option is greyed out! I try out the PDF and zoom function. That option works. Not brilliant, but it works nonetheless. I play around for a while on the settings page, and soon realise that there's no way to register my Kindle (US version) unless I have access to Whispernet which I don't because I don't live in the US. I call Amazon Customer service and they confirm that I can't create collections unless I have access to the wireless service!!

So here's the deal: if I want to create a collection on my Kindle, I have to buy a flight ticket to somewhere in the coverage area in the US. There I can register my Kindle DX, fly back and create collections! Total madness. Just to create folders, something that my Sony PR-505 can do (and more) on day one!

Amazon is a joke!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
FrozenRiver
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
well, you are not the only one... same situation here. don't know what to do.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, apparently there is a way to register without Whispernet. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78823

It sounds very technical, and I'm not keen on trying it out until I know what I'm doing. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Also this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70739
Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You have to create the collection first! Go into Menu from Home page, and you should have the option to 'create a newcollection'. Name the collection and then it asks you to add books to it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Pushka, it's greyed out! I can't get in ... device has to be registered in order to access some of the settings in settings menu.

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-14-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
FrozenRiver
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
The password protection is under the same category: you've got to be registered before you can do anything.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
wish i could do a review
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
You can register your Kindle online, can't you? Go to the Manage your Kindle page on the Amazon site

Last edited by jxh11215; 05-17-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Better explanation
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Sheikspeare,

Did Kindle CS tell you if the Collections feature would work when the manual download comes along, or....?

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem likely, does it? Any way for you to sell your US Dx and buy a global and transfer the books over? I know it's a hassle, but if it takes a while you'll definitely have the update by then and if there's nothing else for it....

I'm sorry no one's been able to explain that script/register without wireless/ thing to you, yet...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Anarel,

Amazon basically told me that without registration the Kindle will have limited functionality. The only official way of resolving this is to do it through Whisphernet. The US DX they argue was not built for the global market. So, in other words, I need to get a DXi.

As for the unofficial route, it seems to me that Amazon is a couple of steps ahead in the game. It look like the debug mode has been blocked in the 2.5 update. If someone figures out a way to downgrade to v2.3, then debug and update to v2.5 it might work. But what a hassle, no? Just to get the Collections feature -- something that really ought to be part of the basic functionality of every DX!

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-18-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
What I'd like to know is just what trick let's Amazon know that *my* K2s are ready for and eager to receive the update to 2.5. And is there a way to extend the 'sleep mode delay' so I can set one of them up to sit and wait until either the update happens or the battery goes dead? This 5-10 minute sleep mode can't be good for getting the 2.5 update, can it???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Deleted

Last edited by dieterpops; 05-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote