Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Morrile
Morrile began at the beginning.

Device: None
Exclamation New to all this...

Well after saying hello I was advised to post question here, so here goes

I have some paperback books which are no longer published, I have scanned every page into PDF and Word. Paperback pages are justified with the book title and page numbers on every page, but not in the form of header and footer.

So how do I proceed to convert these into a format suitable for e-books?

Morrile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first thing to do is to remove the title and page numbers with "search and replace" in Word. Once you have a "clean" text you can easily convert it to your choice of eBook formats - ePub, Mobi, or whatever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Morrile

Hello Harry

Many thanks, but what about justified text? as some text has been split with a hyphen, so the text doesn't flow
Old 02-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll have to fix that kind of thing by hand.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Morrile

thanks Harry, it looks like I have a lot of work ahead
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Creating a good looking eBook is a lot of work, I'm afraid. You can automate a lot of it, but at the end of the day it takes "human judgement" to decide what looks good and what doesn't.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Morrile

I think I was making the usual assumption that one could just import a PDF file and the software would convert everything for you.

Thanks for being honest.

Morrile
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's your choice of PDF as a starting format that's the fundamental problem. A PDF file isn't a "book" - it doesn't contain paragraphs, sentences, or even words, as any normal text document does; it's purely drawing instructions of the form "draw this shape at these coordinates".

For future reference, you'll probably get much better results if you start with a good OCR program (Abbey FineReader works great) rather than with PDF.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
If you're formatting for the Kindle this page might help.
http://kindleformatting.com/

I was thinking of picking this up as a reference when going ahead with book formatting.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
sherya mathur
Enthusiast
sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: saamabook
hi
If you want to formatting pdf to E-book. then if you are creating index for that E-book then you will find that is suitable format for utilizing.By index we will do search ,count & read.
sherya mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's your choice of PDF as a starting format that's the fundamental problem. A PDF file isn't a "book" - it doesn't contain paragraphs, sentences, or even words, as any normal text document does; it's purely drawing instructions of the form "draw this shape at these coordinates".

For future reference, you'll probably get much better results if you start with a good OCR program (Abbey FineReader works great) rather than with PDF.
To piggyback on HarryT's comments, I treat PDF as a final destination format. Although it is possible to extract text from a PDF I don't count on it. Rather, I save my ebooks in another format (OpenDocument Text) and use that as a source to generate my ebooks as a PDF.

Instead of using PDF like a text format that can be reformatted and altered, I use PDF as electronic paper. I format them for my reader's screen size and they display exactly as formatted on my reader's default size (Small). One of PDF's major strengths is that it gives you complete format control over your ebooks.

Like with printing on paper, if I want to make a change in my ebooks (such as increase the font size or the space between paragraphs) I change the source document and then regenerate the PDF. Although my reader is capable of reflowing PDFs to increase the font size, I've been dissatisfied with the way my PDF look when reflowed.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Morrile

Thanks folks!