Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #46
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I would Never be away from a socket for over 10 hours of continuos pad use.

this isnt the device for you but the fact is taht for a device that can do what this can that 10 hours of movie watching is very very good.

your 40" screen is far too big for me to carry on the train and I have no chance of getting it on a plane. that doesnt mean I feel the need to go "40 inch screen, meh"

If all you do is read then fine eink it is for you. But I read, browse the web, and play games oh and watch films and listen to music. a dedicated ereader with 40hrs battery that cant do any of that, meh!

Im not typing this on one of my 5 eink reading devices because...I cant.
Hence why I said 'meh' for 10 hours. If this was a proper laptop or even a netbook 10 hours would be great, but it's not. It doesn't do anything I want or need, so it's 'meh' to me. My eink reader is 6 inch, I can drop it into my pocket and it does what I need it to do. My laptop is 11inch, it does web browsing, video, word processing and all the rest and I get 4 hours from it (which is enough for that device and how I use it). Again, this is 'Mobileread', not moible-everything-else.

Jeez.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #47
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I must admit, I am interested. I have an iPhone, and with all the apps I already have ready to transfer to the iPad..... pretty sweet. Including of course the reading of all Kindle, B&N and heck, every ebook format. If it TRULY gets 10 hours battery life, and the price is not too extreme.... it just might seduce me.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #48
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
iBooks..hmm..looks like they have aimed for it..
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #49
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I refuse to read iBooks. Meh.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #50
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
WOW book prices $4.99 up on the screen close up! that seems to be a paperback price its showing Eclipse and lovely bones looks like hardbacks at $12.99 - I, Alex cross
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
They bought out one of the current iPhone book app makers, looks like.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #52
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But they are using ePub.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #53
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
ibooks prices seem standard - are they going for a superior experience? Will ibooks be available on iphones/ipods?
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #54
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
ePub.... they are going to be using ePub. At the very least it will be another source of books assuming the DeDRM schemes out there work.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #55
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Hmmmm... Just as I was about to suggest that the thing isn't over yet:-

"Launching an app called iBooks. It’s integrated with an iBook store from which you can purchase and d/l books direct to the iPad. They’ve partnered with Penguin, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, MacMillan and Hachett Book Group..."

I'm shocked at the screen ratio, tbh - I mean 4:,3 not widescreen or 'A' proportions; way too 'square' for me, I think

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #56
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

iBooks is ePub?

Gizmodo says iBooks uses ePub!
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #57
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
But they are using ePub.
yes..interesting!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #58
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm glad they chose ePub. I just hope they let you read your own books and not just ones you buy from them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #59
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Will it be yet a third DRM scheme for the iBook ePub?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #60
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

The native format is ePub.... awesome! This may put ePub over the top as the standard....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote