Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
Bebook is empty

O.K. I turned on my bebook this morning and there is nothing in it. All my books on the SD card are there and are fine as I could tell. But everything in the bebook is gone. When I connected it to the computer the SD file came up fine but the other drive did not. When I went into the computer and clicked on the drive the bebook should be in it said I had to reformat the disk.

I tried reset. Didn't help. Now I am recharging for a few hours. While I worry.
Help.

Lake
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as if you have a corrupted file system. Have you disconnected the BeBook from your PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Don't worry. Although not a pleasant thing to discover it is relatively a minor problem. Reformat the internal memory using Fat 16 and everything should be ok. There will be no books left but it should be usable again.

Did you turn of your BeBook fully or just lock the keypad. I suspect you fully turned of. Sometimes, if the Bebook is still writing information, such as current page, when you switch of then it can corrupt the memory. It can also happen if your battery runs very low.

EDIT
Harry is also correct. ;-)
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Lake person
Enthusiast

I'm hoping it is the low battery. When I turned it off I alway switch back to the main index before I turn it off. Now, remember I pretty new at this. So I will still hear your hear your sniff of discuss Harry when I ask. Discribe the "Safely Remove Hardware" Tool. Also reformating using Fat 16. Boy I wish I knew what that is.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do you unplug the BeBook from your PC? I hope you don't just pull the cable out!

Assuming you're using a Windows PC, look at the "system tray" area, just to the left of the clock, at the bottom right of the screen. Move the mouse over the things in it, and one of them (a square blob with an arrow over it) will display "Safely Remove Hardware". Click it, and you'll get a list of "removeable devices", among which will be the drive letters assigned to the BeBook. Select that, and you'll get a message saying "It's now safe to unplug the device".

Always, always do that before you unplug the BeBook from your PC.
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lake Person

If you can't find the safely disconnect icon then copy and paste this into your Run dialogue box. RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist

Also. Why don't you visit here http://mybebook.com/ and register with the forum. We can help you with all your BeBook specific problems.
Not that there is anything wrong with Mobileread (far from it) but two heads are always better than one.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Lake person
Enthusiast

Thank you, I will take all of your advice as soon as my bebook is charged. Also what makes it a little harder is I have Windows Viste not XP. So when you discribe what to do it is always a little different.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake person View Post
Thank you, I will take all of your advice as soon as my bebook is charged. Also what makes it a little harder is I have Windows Viste not XP. So when you discribe what to do it is always a little different.
Not in this case; it's exactly the same.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Lake person
Enthusiast

I found the icon to safely remove hardware. It didn't show up on the system tray until I turned on my printer.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I found the icon to safely remove hardware. It didn't show up on the system tray until I turned on my printer.
That was *probably* because you did not have any USB devices connected at that time except the printer?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Lake person
Enthusiast

I had my Bebook connected.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Lake person
Enthusiast

O.k. my Bebook is fully charged. Still nothing on it. How do I reformat the internal memory as sugested?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
O.k. my Bebook is fully charged. Still nothing on it. How do I reformat the internal memory as sugested?
Your BeBook should show up as a Removable Storage device in My Computer.

Right click on the BeBook icon in My Computer and select FORMAT. In FORMAT select the FAT filesystem and click the Start button.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
I had my Bebook connected.
Ouch, this is not good news. The safely remove hardware icon should show up whenever you have anything connected via USB, and it should not be there when there are no USB devices.

Not showing up when your Bebook is connected means that your computer does not see the Bebook. In this case you will not be able to reformat the device or to do anything with it.

Here is what I would suggest as your first fallback. Keep your Bebook connected to your computer. Now, restart your computer (Click on the windows button at the bottom left corner of the screen, then go over to the little triangle in the bottom right of the pop up window. You should see a 'restart' choice -- choose it.) When your computer finishes shutting down and restarting, hopefully it will find your Bebook and you can follow the suggestions indicated by others for reformatting your Bebook.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote