Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
So its a complete non-story.
Yep. It appears to come down to ... "We quit featuring Kindles and -- surprise, surprise -- they quit selling."

O. Oliver Obvious reporting.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Apparently I need 4.
Currently I need six ... and that new Kindle NT2 looks tempting ...
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #33
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
It's not surprising. People who go to Waterstones go to buy a physical book, not buy an ereader. I'm constantly surprised that so few people even glance at the Kindle displays in Waterstones. It's not like they're even hidden away either, and people hardly show any interest. The fact that so many Waterstones have been refurbished has also helped their core product, physical books, as the more pleasant environment entices people into the shop, and lets them browse in comfortable surroundings. The selection of titles in even the smaller shops if pretty comprehensive, unlike what I have been hearing of Barnes and Noble in recent years. All in all, along with the other retailing improvements, is it any surprise that physical books have been doing better while the kindles are ignored? The answer is no. The fact that Daunt has turned an ailing chain around and is set to lead it into the black for the first time in years shows that when smart business sense is applied, even something as apparently as dead as a brick and mortar bookshop actually has more life in it that most people thought.
My Kindle 3, 3g, Kb is alive and well. I have thought about buying one of the new ones that are more like tablets, but I have a tablet and actually read most of my ebooks on my computer which is always available. For travel the Kindle 3is always with me too, especially out of internet range.

I still love a b&m book store. I will go to them and browse for hours on business trips when there is little else (for me) to do during the evening. Once I find a book I must have, I order it, but usually not at the bookstore. Normally it will be Amazon eBook or Amazon used paper. One some occasions I will buy a paper book at the b&m book store, at Walmart, the grocery store or the drug store or a dollar type store.

I was in a dollar type store 2 or 3 days ago searching for a planner of the type I like which I had neglected to acquire before Christmas, and discovered to my chagrin that their paper backs have now migrated from 1.25 and 1.50 to a flat $3.00 USD. I walked away!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #34
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Okay, I'm curious, how many Kindles are the most you need?
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #35
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasi&prefects View Post
Okay, I'm curious, how many Kindles are the most you need?
At least one more than the number you have.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #36
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Based on a recent holiday, I'd say Kindles and other e-readers are definitely thriving. Four years ago when I first went there with my Sony PRS, I had loads of people ask me about it, but there was no-one else there with an e reading device. This year, almost every person who was reading was doing so using a Kindle/Kobo, or in fewer cases, a tablet. Out of maybe 50 people reading I saw 1-2 who had actual paper books.

This is in a demographic of people who were mostly 40+ and many were older/retired and you'd typically expect them to shy away from tech.

I respect of how many Kindles a person would need - the devices will be replaced less often, but that said, I've just upgraded an old device which had gone wrong after 3 years. Another friend also did the same, so these devices do have a relatively short life cycle, and given they're mostly plastic are easily cracked/broken if dropped or sat on.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #37
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Funny, i never see anyone even glancing at the kobo stands in Whsmiths either. Mainly because they always look like an afterthought more than anything else.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #38
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When Amazon stops making new models, then it would indicate that e-ink readers may be stagnating.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #39
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
When Amazon stops making new models, then it would indicate that e-ink readers may be stagnating.
While probably true, it's also true that Amazon has the resources, and the proven low-percentage-shot inclination, to either make new models despite stagnation (either to serve their niche customers, or to try to unilaterally reinvigorate the market), or to stop making new models despite a thriving market just because Bezos wants to try something else.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 01-09-2015 at 03:32 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #40
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have four ereaders. My problem is that I keep wanting the latest models and I've never had one break on me. I've given them away and sold some but they just keep working.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have four ereaders. My problem is that I keep wanting the latest models and I've never had one break on me. I've given them away and sold some but they just keep working.
Same here. And since I still seem to have eye trouble using the new front-lit readers, I'll probably be using my older readers for quite a while yet.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #42
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsicole View Post
Based on a recent holiday, I'd say Kindles and other e-readers are definitely thriving. Four years ago when I first went there with my Sony PRS, I had loads of people ask me about it, but there was no-one else there with an e reading device. This year, almost every person who was reading was doing so using a Kindle/Kobo, or in fewer cases, a tablet. Out of maybe 50 people reading I saw 1-2 who had actual paper books.

This is in a demographic of people who were mostly 40+ and many were older/retired and you'd typically expect them to shy away from tech.

I respect of how many Kindles a person would need - the devices will be replaced less often, but that said, I've just upgraded an old device which had gone wrong after 3 years. Another friend also did the same, so these devices do have a relatively short life cycle, and given they're mostly plastic are easily cracked/broken if dropped or sat on.
Drop? Never!

Maybe that is why mine has lasted so long.

Last edited by frahse; 01-10-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #43
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

My tech equip is in the same boat.

The City did finally make me "junk" some of my old (still running) cars because they were uninsured.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #44
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Drop? Never!

Maybe that is why mine has lasted so long.

I haven't either, but my friend dropped on on holiday from a sunbed and it cracked the body of the unit. After a few months it gave up the ghost.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #45
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mine has coped quite well with a toddler flinging it around.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote