Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read either paper books or eBooks using a book stand?
Yes, I often use a book stand. 11 13.25%
No, I've never used one, and never would. 47 56.63%
I've not used one, but I'd like to try one. 19 22.89%
Just show me the results! 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Poll: Do you use a book stand?

Just wondering what proportion of readers use a book stand, as discussed in a recent thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only purpose I can see for a book stand is to hold a book open so you can see the pages like for a recipe book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If I'm reading at a table, I othen prop the reader up against something, if I need my hands free, e.g. to eat my lunch with.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
An option like "Yes, I sometimes use a book stand." is missing imho. I would vote for this.

Reading at a table with laptop and iLiad with bookstand as textbook.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
or an option like "i don't have one and doubt i will take the effort to get one, but if i happened to acquire one i might use it sometimes".

unless the pillow in bed counts, obviously.

i could imagine it being useful if reading whilst eating lunch, as gwynevans said, because i often do this and i usually have to prop my book against *something* (often the bread must do). with pbooks it is especially tricky, because you have to prop it up and hold it in position and keep it open and then try to turn the pages with one hand and avoiding knocking it over... have i mentioned lately just how much i love my eb1150 ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
If I'm reading at a table, I often prop the reader up against something, if I need my hands free, e.g. to eat my lunch with.
So you have your hands full eating. And the reader sits there with the page you've just read. So do you have to put down your food just to turn the page? Maybe wipe your hands so you don't get food on the reader? Does the stand allow easy pushing of the page turn button without sliding or needing your other hand to hold the stand steady?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd definitely like to try one. I sometimes read on the lounge, and I'd like to sit the Iliad on my little "sidetable" sometimes (just like I've currently got my laptop on it). It would be good if one sat stably on your chest in bed too, as I get "dead fingers" from holding up a book or the Iliad (I'm not sure why - it must pinch a nerve or something). I'd definitely like one for plane travel, to sit on my little travel-tray so I could keep my head against the seat.

Jon, I think you hit on a good use for an ebook reader I'd not thought of before - recipe storage and display (with stand). Store them as appropriately-sized pdf's on my Iliad and I can even scribble notes on them (even add a "notes" page to each recipe). Conversions. Replacement ingredients. Glossary. Ingredient reference (imagine if I could get an indexed ebook Larousse Gastronomique or Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion).

Mmmmm, sounds delicious.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've used one on occasion, but it's not a common thing for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The polls are quite limited in selection. For instance I used them a lot as a college student when reading and writing simultaneously was required. Now I do not use them for most of my reading.

Maybe add
* I use to but not anymore
* Only for Text books
* I used them but didn't find them useful
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I use one as well while eating. Not very sociable I know but it works well. Holds the book at a perfect angle. I tried one with paper books and it was too much of a bother to adjust the arms to hold the pages from turning but electronic readers work great.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So do you have to put down your food just to turn the page? Maybe wipe your hands so you don't get food on the reader? Does the stand allow easy pushing of the page turn button without sliding or needing your other hand to hold the stand steady?
It's normally either a sandwich, in which case I can always keep a finger clean to prod the next page rocker, or something like rice, in which case I only need the one hand for the fork! :-)

As the base is touching the table all the way along, the button prod doesn't slide it around!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It's normally either a sandwich, in which case I can always keep a finger clean to prod the next page rocker, or something like rice, in which case I only need the one hand for the fork! :-)

As the base is touching the table all the way along, the button prod doesn't slide it around!
See, JSWolf, you should have guessed that if she can use a sony, then she's advanced past eating like a monkey and knows how to use a fork !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Don't know which one to vote for.
I have a book chair from the local Waterstone but I was not impressed by it. I prefer to hold a book, but who knows? If I had "the perfect" book stand, probably I would use it. It is just nect to impossible to make such.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
ZaZg
Isabelle G
ZaZg doesn't litterZaZg doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I would have needed an option saying I was using a bookstand until I got my Reader.
Since I got my Sony Reader, I don't need a bookstand, because the Reader is much lighter than the huge books I used to carry around.
ZaZg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
When reading with a TabletPC sometimes I use one: reading a literature book in a 2.1 Kilo M200 TabletPC can get heavy after some time.

But with my 174 grams Cybook, no need at all, it’s a feather!!!

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote