Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Custom columns vs tags

For book genres probably the tags are better, but how about something like read? Which is the impact of each?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Impact? That seems pretty subjective to me.

I do exactly what you said: use tags for genre, and a custom column for Read yes/no
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
For book genres probably the tags are better, but how about something like read? Which is the impact of each?
I find it a bit easier to manually set custom columns in the GUI than to set tags by calling up the metadata editor. That's partly a byproduct of the fact that I keep all tags when doing a metadata download, something that many others here don't like to do. As a result, I use a custom column for both read (by initials of the name of the person who read it) and for genre, where I strictly limit my genres to a known subset.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
By impact I meant which might have a lesser influence on the sluggishness of Calibre. With one column I have eliminated quite a few tags, and too many tags do seem to be a problem. Too many authors too, sadly.
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote