Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #16
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
I could probably be one of the first. I have well over 100 Doc Savage books. They tend to run a bit over 100 ebook pages and are a fast read. Not only that but once you have read a few there are whole paragraphs that are "read" almost as a block.
"Bubble gum books" Fun to chew but when the flavor is gone you don't look back.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #17
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I don't usually join things either, but I do think I read at least 100 books a year, in general- if all books are counted (even ones I read to my kids), I'm double that at least
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #18
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Books like Slaughter House 5 take me a couple hours to read at most. Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, on the other hand, takes about a month or so to finish.

Sometimes it's just not worth it to sacrifice quality for quantity, no disrespect to Vonnegut of course.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I joined, too; pbooks also count, I hope?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm in.

No way I'll get to even 50, but it will be fun to keep track, and to see what the serious readers here are reading.

PS - I don't see where on the Forums page you find Social Groups. That is to say, I can't find the group other than through the link in the OP. Where is it?

PPS - OK, I found it now, under Community.

Last edited by GA Russell; 12-20-2010 at 01:39 AM.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I, personally, would really appreciate if you start using capital letters where appropriate only.
Thank you in advance,
A.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #22
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I joined, I might just make it since I've read about 40 book in the last 6-7 months.

Just wondering, the third rule says that books must be over 200 pages long to count toward your total. How do you qualify 200? As epub pages? I know a Kindle uses a different method to show how far you are in the book . It also depends of which font size you use and some and some people delete the blank lines between paragraphs which also shortens the book. Or should we look at the pages of the pbook?
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Sounds like fun!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I, personally, would really appreciate if you start using capital letters where appropriate only.
Thank you in advance,
A.
I agree, and I mean no disrespect, honestly. It's just when I see all caps on forum postings, even in the titles and usernames, I kind of cringe and shy away because it seems like somebody is shouting at somebody else. And those who know me here know that I prefer to stay among the rainbows and unicorns.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #25
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Just wondering, the third rule says that books must be over 200 pages long to count toward your total. How do you qualify 200? As epub pages? I know a Kindle uses a different method to show how far you are in the book . It also depends of which font size you use and some and some people delete the blank lines between paragraphs which also shortens the book. Or should we look at the pages of the pbook?
I'm not so worried about this myself. If I think I should add it, I will. If I don't think I should add it, I won't.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I would say if the physical book is over 200 pages since ereaders all have different page counts. I know my Nooks page count is usually almost half that of the physical book.

The page numbers can be found at www.goodreads.com if you need them.

What about audiobooks, do they count? I sometimes have both the book and AB and I will be at page 110 of the book and have to go somewhere so I find my spot in the audiobook and continue from there until I get home. Or if I have a migraine I will listen to one while laying in the dark.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
What about audiobooks, do they count? I sometimes have both the book and AB and I will be at page 110 of the book and have to go somewhere so I find my spot in the audiobook and continue from there until I get home. Or if I have a migraine I will listen to one while laying in the dark.
Good question. Recently got an Audible account and have "reading" a few audiobooks on and off over the past couple of months.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I consider an audiobook to be a book, and I would count it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would not consider an audio book to be legit unless it were unabridged.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Doubt I can hit a hundo, never hurts to try.

edit: what about novels that are broken into seperate books, Brothers Karamazov for example.

Last edited by BenBanned; 12-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production