Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #31
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
You can use emelFM file manager to do it, but if you want to do it in the shell use the commands:

cd /mnt/settings
cp registry.xml.djvu registry.xml
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
You can use emelFM file manager to do it, but if you want to do it in the shell use the commands:

cd /mnt/settings
cp registry.xml.djvu registry.xml
thank you!
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Here's javadjvu version 0.2.

I've added an uninstaller and some support for zooming.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get panning working yet.

For those who install the djvu viewer for the first time:
Don't forget to restart your iLiad after the installation is complete.

For those using the 0.1a package use the following steps:
1) Use the uninstaller, this will partially uninstall the djvu viewer
2) Install the 0.2 version using the installer
If everything went well you can remove the /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml.djvu file. (There's no harm in not removing it, it's just that it'll take up a few bytes in your iLiad's internal memory.)
After these steps you can either enjoy the new DjVu viewer, or fully uninstall it using the provided uninstaller.

The installer sometimes indicates that the installation was successful even when something went wrong. So you might want to check the logs manually.
(For those upgrading from 0.1a using the above steps: there will be an entry in the log file after step 2 stating that the registry already contained the JAVADJVU program. This is OK, it's just caused by step 1 which does not uninstall the old version completely.)

Ok, that's it. Any further updates after this should be easier, since future installers will simply upgrade older versions and future uninstallers will be able to remove older versions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip javadjvu-0.2.zip (521.1 KB, 778 views)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
wolven
wolven began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Unhappy

Just got the Iliad and am trying to get it working for all my stuff.

Tried installing DjVu this on 2.12.1 and it told me where to go.
wolven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #35
fantispug
fantispug began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Beautiful. It installed fine for me. I can now read all my DJVU files!

Thank you very much Martijn

Post-script: It keeps restarting the iliad for no reason. It seems I spend a while trying to find the right page, and then I lose it (since the last page isn't saved).
Ah well, still better than nothing.

Last edited by fantispug; 05-29-2008 at 12:37 AM.
fantispug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #36
Martijn
Connoisseur

@wolven: Before copying the installer to your iLiad, Edit the Firmware_Script in the install directory so that it contains 2.12.1 instead of 2.12. It should install after that.

@fantispug: I'll try to make it so that the next version remembers the last page.
As for the restarting, I've found a djvu file that does that on my iLiad too. So I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it, but it's a pain to debug.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #37
Martijn
Connoisseur

I think the rebooting issue is because the iLiad runs out of memory and the kernel starts shooting processes.
After enabling swap space (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Swap_on_iLiad), I was able to avoid the rebooting issue, though the viewer became very, very slow.

I guess I'll have to see if I can make it more memory efficient.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #38
Martijn
Connoisseur

Ok, here's version 0.3.

People who are upgrading from 0.1a should read the upgrade instructions for the 0.2 version in my previous post. You can upgrade from 0.1a to 0.3 directly using these instructions.
Anybody who's upgrading from 0.2 can simply run the installer.

The new features of 0.3 are:
- The installer should work with both the 2.12 and 2.12.1 firmware (I don't have 2.12.1 so I didn't test that).
- Full zooming and panning support using the stylus.
- Panning using the arrow keys (maybe I should increase the panning distance for them)
- The viewer re-opens documents at the same page at which they were closed

There's still a lot to do, but I won't have much time in the coming weeks, which is why I make this release now.

Stuff that still has to be done:
- Reduce the amount of memory used to avoid the rebooting issue
- Save the panning position between page flips
- Save the panning position and zoom when closing a document (and restore it upon opening the document)
- Reduce the number of screen updates during panning
- Fix the busy led (sometimes it doesn't blink while the viewer is actually busy)
- General cleanup of the code
Attached Files
File Type: zip javadjvu-0.3.zip (523.2 KB, 1141 views)
Old 06-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #39
Mizuhito
Mizuhito began at the beginning.

THANKS

VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Mizuhito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #40
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks Martijn, zooming & panning is nice.

#screenshot: javadjvu-0.3 in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	javadjvu-0.3.png
Views:	1114
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	13159  
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #41
Mizuhito
Mizuhito began at the beginning.

Problem

I have some problem with the program. After 20-30 pages it stops and the iLiad reboot. What can I do?

Thanks
Mizuhito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #42
Martijn
Connoisseur

The rebooting is caused, as far as I can see, by the iLiad running out of memory, after which the kernel starts killing processes.
Unfortunately there are no easy solutions.

Enabling swap space on your iLiad should help (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Swap_on_iLiad), but will slow the viewer down.
Or you can grab the source code from the mobileread development hub and have a go at reducing the memory usage.
Alternatively you can edit the djvu.sh script in /home/intent and pass the maximum memory usage via command line options of the elate program.
This won't allow you to read the djvu file, but it will exit the djvu viewer instead of rebooting your iLiad.

I am curious as to what is going on, since the viewer should not cache more than a few pages. If you can read 20 pages, you should be able to read the entire document. Maybe the final few pages are pages with a lot of images on them?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #43
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
most likely explanation seems that it doesn't properly uncache..
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #44
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
Hey! This is an awesome project, but I don't know how to install it. Can someone give this noob an explanation?

EDIT: Sorry for the tourble I figured it out. Someone delete this post.

Last edited by atesta; 06-26-2008 at 11:06 PM.
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #45
fargo
Virtual Books Reader :)
fargo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Kindle DX, iPhone
Nice project. Thank you

I have encountered the following problems with version 0.3 on my 2.12 iLiad:

1. This viewer keeps rebooting my iLiad after reading few pages.
2. Zooming does not keep its coordinates after flipping page. The viewing window shifts up and to the left on the next page.
3. A continuous mode would be great.

Last edited by fargo; 06-27-2008 at 12:53 AM.
fargo is offline   Reply With Quote