Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Vacooley. You'll soon find many alternative legal sources for ePubs. And, of course, to strip DRM for conversion is pretty easy. There are instructions all over the web, but it's only borderline legal (no matter how morally justified) so we can't discuss it here. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And echoing Neil, there are plenty of places to get ePub books with no DRM... just load 'em right up and read away. Bottom line: If you don't want to go through the big booksellers, you don't have to.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I've read on the B&N forum that if you notify them of the difference, B&N will often lower their price. I've not tried it though
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I've read on the B&N forum that if you notify them of the difference, B&N will often lower their price. I've not tried it though
Kinda reminds me of the "We'll beat the price of any competitor by 10%", which always brings up the question "so why don't you just put your price there to begin with?"
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Kinda reminds me of the "We'll beat the price of any competitor by 10%", which always brings up the question "so why don't you just put your price there to begin with?"
For the same reason companies offer "mail-in rebates" rather than just lowering the price.

They know a good percentage of folks won't go to the bother of sending in the request/rebate.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacooley View Post
OK, so now I have a great new Nook. I go to buy books only to find out that:

a. I can get the REAL book (including shipping) for less.
b. I can get the "Kindle Edition" from Amazon for over $5 less than the "Nook Edition".

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated situation.

I am going to stop buying any Nook ebook that is more than the same Kindle ebook. I will just get a paper copy from Amazon or find a library that has it.

The only way the industry is going to change is if a significant number of potential buyers do the same.

So, who is with me?

Could you give the title of the book that has such a difference in price between ebooks from Kindle and the nook?

I haven't seen really any price difference between the two in quite some time. Not since Apple got into the business.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
to strip DRM for conversion is pretty easy. There are instructions all over the web, but it's only borderline legal
To be pedantic—one of my favorite activities—there's no "borderline" legality about it in the US. In the US, circumventing DRM from e-books is illegal, even for personal use. It's like driving 76 MPH in a 70-zone; virtually everyone gets away with it, but that doesn't make it legal. I was once pulled over for 60 in a 55 zone with absolutely no traffic—I guess the trooper was bored.

Well, okay, there's one bit of borderline on DRM circumvention. If you're prepared to prove that there is absolutely no version of the e-book that allows any form of read-aloud or other non-visual presentation, there's a long-standing exemption intended for use by the blind but not actually restricted to the blind (I presume because it's easier for sighted people to strip the DRM on behalf of the visually impaired).
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
eBooks are real books.

They're just not paper books.
I'm sorry, but they are not real books. A book is a physical object, often made of paper. You may be getting the real content or story with an eBook, but they are not real books.
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by morari View Post
I'm sorry, but they are not real books. A book is a physical object, often made of paper. You may be getting the real content or story with an eBook, but they are not real books.
Yes, they are "REAL" books.

Paper books are also "REAL" books.

E-books are not physical books, if thats what you are trying to say, but they are "real".
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Secretlyowned
Secretlyowned began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3, Nook Classic (previously Sony PRS-600BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't buy books. I rely on public domain and libraries for my reading material.
The library has most of the books I want, and I recommend titles for purchase, which really makes them have what I want!! Even though there is a wait list on some popular titles, I don't mind...works great, and it works with the Nook!

http://overdrive.com/
Secretlyowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:

The mind makes it real .
By the way, Morpheus called, and he's pissed
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #27
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
A book is its content just as a club is its membership and a church its congregation. If you are to define a book as 'paper pages between covers', then that rules out all other forms, clay tablets and scrolls, for instance, and a book would still be a book even if its pages were blank. I mentally refer to my reading device as the title of the work (the book) I'm currently reading. It's known today as my 'Skakespeare's Will'. 'Shakespeare's Will' is, without a doubt, a 'book'. Ask its author. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For the same reason companies offer "mail-in rebates" rather than just lowering the price.

They know a good percentage of folks won't go to the bother of sending in the request/rebate.
True. As well as, if they do apply, most people forget about them and never notice if the check never comes. Which is why I very rarely buy anything requiring a mail-in rebate. Gotta be something I really want at a really good price.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #29
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yes, they are "REAL" books.

Paper books are also "REAL" books.

E-books are not physical books, if thats what you are trying to say, but they are "real".
I said exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.

A "book" is an object. It's as simple as that. When you download an eBook, you're not procuring an object, you're downloading data. That data may make up the same CONTENT, but it is certainly not a book.

When you download a collection of songs, do you try to call it a CD?
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I said exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.

A "book" is an object. It's as simple as that. When you download an eBook, you're not procuring an object, you're downloading data. That data may make up the same CONTENT, but it is certainly not a book.

When you download a collection of songs, do you try to call it a CD?
'sigh. If the content is the same, how are they not the same?

I don't say " I just read this wonderful "data" by XXX......nor do I say "I just read this wonderful "e-book" by XXX......I say "I just read this wonderful "book" by XXX.........

Its a book, not data.

And I don't download music at all.

If I did, I'd call it 'music'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook prices