Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I’m voting for Lamb by Christopher Moore.

Here’s a couple of the excerpts that convinced me:

My ability to learn Hebrew and the Torah was spurred on by my friendship with Joshua, for while the other boys would be playing a round of tease the sheep or kick the Canaanite, Joshua and I played at being rabbis, and he insisted that we stick to the authentic Hebrew for our ceremonies. It was more fun than it sounds, or at least it was until my mother caught us trying to circumcise my little brother Shem with a sharp rock. What a fit she threw. And my argument that Shem needed to renew his covenant with the Lord didn’t seem to convince her. She beat me to stripes with an olive switch and forbade me to play with Joshua for a month. Did I mention she was besought with demons?

Overall, I think it was good for little Shem. He was the only kid I ever knew who could pee around corners. You can make a pretty good living as a beggar with that kind of talent. And he never even thanked me.

Brothers.

<><><>

“… [L]et’s play Moses and Pharaoh.”

“Let my people go,” said Joshua, as Moses.

“Okay.”

“You can’t just say, ‘Okay.’”

“I can’t?”

“No, the Lord has hardened your heart against my demands.”

“Why’d he do that?”

“I don’t know, he just did. Now, let my people go.”

“Nope.” I crossed my arms and turned away like someone whose heart is hardened.

“Behold as I turn this stick into a snake. Now, let my people go!”

“Okay.”

“You can’t just say ‘okay’!”

“Why? That was a pretty good trick with the stick.”

“But that’s not how it goes.”

“Okay. No way, Moses, your people have to stay.”

Joshua waved his staff in my face. “Behold, I will plague you with frogs. They will fill your house and your bedchamber and get on your stuff.”

“So?”

“So that’s bad. Let my people go, Pharaoh.”

“I sorta like frogs.”

“Dead frogs,” Moses threatened. “Piles of steaming, stinking dead frogs.”

“Oh, in that case, you’d better take your people and go. I have some sphinxes and stuff to build anyway.”

“Dammit, Biff, that’s not how it goes! I have more plagues for you.”

“I want to be Moses.”

“You can’t.”

“Why not?”

“I have the stick.”

“Oh.”
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well The Egg is a nose ahead....

and Free!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #78
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must say that I'd be glad to read any of the current poll leaders this month, they all look interesting...

Tom, I think is was the video link I sent you that pushed you over the edge. Sheesh!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #79
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

and Free!
Well, it does come with an attractive price....Free!
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

While MacDonald's work was popular with critics at its release, modern reappraisals of the book have been critical of the book's treatment of native Americans. Her treatment of the rural working class "spawned a perception of Washington as a land of eccentric country bumpkins like Ma and Pa Kettle."

Jeeze, we just got through a month of Southern apologetics.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-28-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #81
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Jeeze, we just got through a month of Southern apologetics.

Yeah, but that wasn't FUNNY!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just rereading the description for The Egg and I. Sounds like a boring version of Green Acres.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #83
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just rereading the description for The Egg and I. Sounds like a boring version of Green Acres.

It was probably the impetus for the series. Brilliant!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

It was probably the impetus for the series. Brilliant!
But I get allergic smelling hay!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #85
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But I get allergic smelling hay!
Fresh air!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
Well, it does come with an attractive price....Free!
As is Topper and The Rynion Omnibus and Augustus Carp and My Man Jeeves.

Where's WDE with the price and links too all these books...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #87
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I nominated The Egg and I then I voted for Lamb. But, to be fair, I have to say that if you haven't read A Confederacy of Dunces, then you are missing a real treat. Hilarious in an eccentric way.

I'm still hoping for my first 2 choices above but, I read Confederacy just last month so I could still discuss if it wins.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #88
kennyc

Go f-f-f-f-fford!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #89
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I accidentally hit my mouse and lost all the information I had collected... so I'll have to fill this in again.. let me know if you have another book link, please.

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald Lit - lrf - imp - mobi/prc by Patricia and ePub by weatherwax

Topper by Thorne Smith imp - lrf - mobi/prc by BenG

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole various sites search list

My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse lrf by HarryT and at feedbooks

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain lrf - mobi/prc - imp by Madam Broshkina and at feedbooks

Fool by Christopher Moore various sites search list

Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford lrf - mobi/prc - imp by Patricia

A Damon Runyon Omnibus Lit - lrf - imp - mobi/prc by Patricia

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore various sites search list

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde various sites list

Candide by Voltaire lrf - mobi/prc - imp by Patricia and lrf - mobi/prc - imp by RWood

Last edited by dreams; 03-31-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: copy links
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #90
kennyc

Thanks for that Dreams!!!