Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Barnes & Noble E-Reader Could Come Oct 20 With Lending Options

"Barnes & Noble E-Reader Could Come Oct. 20 With Lending Options"

"On Thursday, The Wall Street Journal reported that Barnes & Noble is set to introduce its own six-inch touch-screen device to compete with Amazon’s Kindle....The bookseller will likely introduce it on Oct. 20. The company has an event planned for that day at Chelsea Piers in New York, for what an invitation calls “a major event in our company’s history.” Again, Barnes & Noble has no comment.

The bookseller also hopes to make e-book lending a centerpiece of its device, according to two people in publishing who asked not to be named because talks were confidential. Readers can not lend digital books on the Kindle, although books can be read on up to six separate devices linked to the same Amazon account.

But B.&N. has been talking to publishers about a new model, whereby users are granted a license to “lend” an e-book to a friend. This could help the bookseller market the device to members of its book clubs program. However, publishers are pushing back on this feature and the two sides are currently engaged in discussions about how many loans a year publishers will allow."

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...wt=nytimesbits
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds interesting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I could have misunderstood what I have previously read, but can't already share content between six Kindles on the same account at the same time? I would imagine that covers the size of most book clubs...if not then two accounts and a couple copies of each book should cover it...assuming I understand the Kindle TOS correctly.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Amazon_account

I imagine that is one of the things which puts a Kindle a but higher up the list for a lot of book clubs...but don't think that B&N is not doing this for a profit at the expense of the device owners, they will charge more (over the single copy price) for "club licenses" and probably by a fair amount.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I could have misunderstood what I have previously read, but can't already share content between six Kindles on the same account at the same time? I would imagine that covers the size of most book clubs...if not then two accounts and a couple copies of each book should cover it...assuming I understand the Kindle TOS correctly.
Yes, if all the Kindles are only used for bookclub reading. A Kindle can only be registered to one account at a time.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, if all the Kindles are only used for bookclub reading. A Kindle can only be registered to one account at a time.
thanks for the confirmation and reminding that a Kindle can only be registered on one account at a time. Still no reason a few friends or family cannot get together and order their own books yet still share with each other on this account. It only means all the devices must be on the same account. You can put any muber of credit cards on an Amazon account so that makes it a none issue for those who care. Otherwise they can use a shared card or not whatever works.

And yeah, at the time of book purchase, it's a bit tedious to select the correct credit card to pay with but that can be worked around...it costs nothing extra and gives each person the books from five others to choose from or share with...so that best seller for $9.99 costs the group ~$1.67/ea if they want to look at it that way. That's better than $60 if purchased by each individual.

I would guess eventually Amazon would shut this door though.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Okay so basically now is not a good time to get a kindle considering all the other possible competitors that are just around the corner. I'm gonna wait for this barnes and noble ereader and see what it's like. If it has wireless delivery and browsing it may be a winner...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
If it has wireless delivery and browsing it may be a winner...
It definitely has wireless delivery. We don't know about web browsing yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
Okay so basically now is not a good time to get a kindle considering all the other possible competitors that are just around the corner. I'm gonna wait for this barnes and noble ereader and see what it's like. If it has wireless delivery and browsing it may be a winner...
I am not hopeful, given that B&N only sell e-books in the US. Another "US-only" device is not really what the market needs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am not hopeful, given that B&N only sell e-books in the US. Another "US-only" device is not really what the market needs.
Yes, when are those companies opening their eyes and notice there's a lot more potentional customers out there? Especially if what it says about the lending is true, as I know a lot of people who would want to buy a device but are holding back because they can't share a book with a family member or friend.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I really hope B&N manage to get the publishers support for ebook lending. I wouldn't be as opposed to paying paperback prices if I get the same rights as a paperback, ie lending out or selling on.

Even if it's US only initially, that doesn't preclude later deals with distributors abroad to market the device and may put a bit of pressure on existing eBook device sellers to implement a similar feature. Colour screen + lending books would be two pretty key features.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which brings up a germain question. What is it with people in countries that who don't want these devices and wont market and sell them in their homelands?

You don't even have to design one, you could rebrand one.

Ever think about entrepreneurship, Harry?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Lending would be really great if they could pull it off, if they could make the loaned book automatically expire after a given time like libraries do. I think it would be a big step in the right direction for the future of ereading.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I hope this wireless connectivity b&n is talking about isn't wi-fi hotspots. I want to have the kindle experience where I can shop for and have a book delivered to me anywhere I am. Newspapers and magazines would be a huge plus too... If they don't have that it might be a deal breaker for me. I'm actually not too concerned about the whole lending feature... Not a huge deal for me. It's funny sometimes how technology complicates something as simple as lending your friend a paperback novel...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote