Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #46
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Maybe the Pocketbook Touch?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #47
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An unregistered Kindle is a very poor choice. You collections by not registering. Also, ePub is open when not encumbered with DRM. Mobi & KF8 are not open even if no DRM.
My understanding is KF8 is essentially the subset of ePub2/3 that the Kindle happens to support at the time, which is no worse than anybody else's ePub support, since nobody's is complete. It's annoying you have to 'compile' to KF8 from ePub, but it's pretty transparent since Calibre etc. can do it for you.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
KF8 supports a rather more complete subset of ePub3 than ADE - the ePub reader used in the vast majority of ePub devices - supports. Eg, it supports right to left languages such as Hebrew and Arabic, which ADE does not.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-10-2013 at 02:04 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Valid points. But if you are buying a new reader now, for potential use for several years, it wouldn't make sense to me personally to buy something which is, at the time of purchase, "old" technology, unless there was some overwhelming reason to do so, such as a very heavily-discounted sale price.
It depends if the bells and whistles which constitute "new technology" are important to the buyer at hand. When buying something mechanical/technical for my personal needs I pay attention to what it does, not what year that model was "popular"

So, for "open e-reader" where you can sideload books and just read and go, my T2 is absolutely where it's at. I walked INTO the store with a loaded 4GB microsd card, bought the T2, put the card in it, and could use it out of the box, on the bus home. No registering, no hand holding, no fuss, no muss. Took me less than 5 minutes to have the books sorted into collections before I even arrived home.

That, to me, is exponentially more important than whether there are mini lights all over the front of the screen, or whether the "resolution" is higher or there is "whispernet" or whatever. I don't care. If I can read, and can still access the advertised features without announcing to the company that I am the owner of serial number 8DOSIODJKOEIRU or whatever, then I'm happy. Freedom > bells and whistles everytime.

I tried "not registering" my kindle when I bought it, and could not do much with it. Collections was greyed out, and dictionaries weren't even loaded onto it unless I registered that device to my account.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #50
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
I've got the Pocketbook 622 free from SAS since I had a lot of Eurobonus points that I never used, I get all my books from the library so all my books are basically paid by my tax money, so they feels like they are free. I get seven books every week and then I remove the DRM protection vilt Calibre.
You rarely see e-readers in Sweden, people buys ipads instead or paperbacks since they are very cheap.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
KF8 supports a rather more complete subset of ePub3 than ADE - the ePub reader used in the vast majority of ePub devices - supports. Eg, it supports right to left languages such as Hebrew and Arabic, which ADE does not.
But, on an eInk Kindle, the smallest line height one can have may not be acceptable to the OP. I know I find it annoying. So I'd rather stick with ePub because I can set the line height my way.

Some people will find such a line height a bother. Not everyone will but some will and the OP may be one of them. We just don't know. But I'd rather not have the OP buy a Kindle to find out it's unacceptable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd rather not have the OP buy a Kindle
I extracted the salient part of your post.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #53
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I extracted the salient part of your post.
Who says with three words what can be said with three sentences is capable of every other meanness too!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #54
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Kobo eink devices support much of ePub3 - necessary for the complex text layout and fixed-layout manga on their Japanese store - but I dunno if it's doing this with an updated version of Adobe's engine or (I suspect) a new bespoke engine.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
The Kobo eink devices support much of ePub3 - necessary for the complex text layout and fixed-layout manga on their Japanese store - but I dunno if it's doing this with an updated version of Adobe's engine or (I suspect) a new bespoke engine.
It's a new engine. It only works with Kobo's own "KePub" format, not standard ePubs.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #56
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
It's a new engine. It only works with Kobo's own "KePub" format, not standard ePubs.
Indeed. I just tried loading a bunch of ePub3's onto my Glo and while they all loaded none of the new ePub3 features worked (R2L, MathML, fixed layout, etc.). Perhaps if I fiddle with the extension I can 'trick' it into thinking they're kepubs to trigger the new engine...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Indeed. I just tried loading a bunch of ePub3's onto my Glo and while they all loaded none of the new ePub3 features worked (R2L, MathML, fixed layout, etc.). Perhaps if I fiddle with the extension I can 'trick' it into thinking they're kepubs to trigger the new engine...
Yes - add a "double extension": ".epub.kepub". That should make it use the new engine.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
Yes - add a "double extension": ".epub.kepub". That should make it use the new engine.
Neat. Most things seem to work pretty well. Multi-column layout. Embeded fonts. Right-to-left, including 'reversed' page turning (tried with Arabic and everything looked nice). Even MathML seems to be mostly working. Also allows for zooming/panning of full-screen images which the regular engine doesn't.

Need to find a doc' with proper footnotes (either end-of-page or pop-up), which is the ePub3 feature I'm really looking forward to, to see if that works...

Wonder what regressions there are that keep them from using this new engine for all books.

Edit -- indeed it does support popup footnotes! at least in very basic form.

Last edited by stewacide; 01-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Wonder what regressions there are that keep them from using this new engine for all books.
I don't know, I'm afraid. There's been quite a lot of discussion of the new engine on the Kobo forum; might be worth asking there. As you rightly say, it was added primarily to support vertically-oriented text for the Japanese market.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions. First off, without knowing where the OP is, your supposed "premium price" may be entirely mythical. Currently, in Canada, for example, I could have a T2 direct from Sony for $99.99. A Kobo Glo will cost $129.99. A Kindle Paperwhite is not available for shipping to Canada. I could spend several hours and a fair number of dollars travelling across the border where I can get it from a Best Buy for US$119.99. I assume this is the ad-free version, but the BB site doesn't say. Sony is the least expensive by far.
Location is definitely important when talking about pricing.

The Sony T2 is €165 in the (handful of) shops here that sell e-readers. I got my Kindle Paperwhite (cheapest version, WiFi & ads) delivered for €150, imported via a local shop, which includes all the taxes (VAT + customs).

The other available options here are some Prestigio models for €165-169, iRiver HD for €165, and - a very, VERY recent development - the Kobo mini for €99 and Kobo Touch for €129. You can also order, via a local shop, a Nook Glow for €150 or a Kobo Glo for €165.

I really like the Sony T2, but at €165, it seems very much overpriced (as does the iRiver). No local options to buy a Pocketbook, Onyx etc.

I'm really happy with my Paperwhite, but I did buy it with the full knowledge that if I'd got a bad one, I'd have been in trouble - no way to get a replacement from Amazon, certainly. But then I use Calibre with Alf's plug-ins and I also buy from Amazon quite a bit, so neither the reader's choice of formats or using it without registration is of concern to me.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote