Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #1441
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool What a picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Even better is the image of Morgan playing that thing while Butters goes to do some medical stuff.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #1442
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I haven't tried any of these but have heard of a couple of these authors.
I forgot one!

The Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #1443
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I forgot one!

I've been considering this one but haven't quite committed.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #1444
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I forgot one!

I like these though Mercy would probably punch the cover artist
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1445
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Mercy Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I've been considering this one but haven't quite committed.
Consider the similarities:

Urban Fantasy
1/2 Native American descent
Woman auto mechanic
Takes place in the state of Washington
A coyote

I believe there's a good chance you'll like the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I like these though Mercy would probably punch the cover artist
Yeah, probably! But I find the covers interesting. The same artist (Dan dos Santos) creates Mercy's facial characteristics quite differently on almost every cover. Here's my favorite (I just love the earrings!
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	98083

Last edited by alansplace; 12-22-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #1446
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Finished Proven Guilty and starting White Night. Little bit disappointed by the end. Nothing really happens other than lots of open ends. I stopped thinking in books, so I did not even take any time off before starting new one.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #1447
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of White Night
Spoiler:
"I've got to figure out what all of the killer's victims have in common, if anything."
"They're dead?"

Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #1448
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Cold Days. Another Harry Dresden book, another cover with Harry Dresden wearing a hat. :P *cue up "Gotta have a hat" by Ray Stevens*

Currently reading "Old Soldiers" (it's in Keith Laumer's BOLO universe). Will go to Cold Days when done what that.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #1449
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool New release date - Spring 2013 - for 4th James Potter book

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #1450
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:

I doubt it will be released. Check out http://www.jamespotterseries.com/cha...incomplete.pdf - author talking about abandoning James Potter so he can publish real stuff and not be branded as a mere non-serious fan-fiction writer.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1451
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I doubt it will be released. Check out http://www.jamespotterseries.com/cha...incomplete.pdf - author talking about abandoning James Potter so he can publish real stuff and not be branded as a mere non-serious fan-fiction writer.
Oh, don't give up on it being released. I've had that 47 page beginning part since it was posted last March. I entered it on GoodReads back then. A few months later George posted that he was back at it and he planned on a Fall release. Right after the solstice he posted the banner (the one that I posted here) on Facebook. I believe it. There's been a continuing dialog around the web about it since last March, that I've followed concerning this.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-23-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #1452
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would like to suggest for fans of kate Shugak and Tony Hillerman, Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield Series. Available in libraries as well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1453
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jane Whitefield Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I would like to suggest for fans of kate Shugak and Tony Hillerman, Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield Series. Available in libraries as well.

Helen
Hmmm....looks interesting, thanks for the tip (1st book in the series $7.99 at amazon). By the way, FYI, this series doesn't appear to be urban fantasy and neither is Kate Shugak or the Tony Hillerman books. Instead they are about Native American protagonists.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-23-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #1454
DuckieTigger
Wizard

What is urban fantasy anyway? Dresden Files is supposed to be, right? Is everything fiction that is set up in the confines of a city, and that is more fiction than is hypothetically "real", thus more fantasy, automatically labeled as "urban fantasy"?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #1455
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Urban Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What is urban fantasy anyway? Dresden Files is supposed to be, right? Is everything fiction that is set up in the confines of a city, and that is more fiction than is hypothetically "real", thus more fantasy, automatically labeled as "urban fantasy"?
My take on Urban Fantasy is a story with supernatural elements set in modern society.

Wikipedia says:
Quote:
Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, as well as fictional settings. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city

Urban fantasy describes a work that is set primarily in a city and contains aspects of fantasy. These matters may involve the arrivals of alien races, the discovery of earthbound mythological creatures, coexistence between humans and paranormal beings, conflicts between humans and malicious paranormals, and subsequent changes in city management.

Several characters of urban fantasy are shown to have self-esteem issues or tragic pasts. These matters often tie into the larger story or the development of the protagonist. Though stories may be set in contemporary times, this characteristic is not necessary for the fiction to be considered urban fantasy, as works of the genre may also take place in futuristic and historical settings, real or imagined. Author Marie Brennan has set urban fantasy in Elizabethan London, while author Charles de Lint has featured the genre in the fictional city of Newford

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy