Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Aristoexian
New Here
Aristoexian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro | iPhone 11 | MBP
Unhappy For Our Calibre Experts (iPad questions)

Hey, I'm delighted to find you all here! I'm an iPad/Calibre user with two questions I wonder if the hive might be able to address.

The first is to clarify that the device connect button in Calibre is not for iPad users. I do hope there is hope if it in the future, if not. I know we have other means, and I've been using the Content Server beautifully since I found Calibre many months ago. Now, however, iBooks is balking at taking in any more books. I have 10G of space left so it's not that, rather it seems to be something between Safari and iTunes (I've restarted and reset everything, being a Mac Tech.) I did find references to the problem for other users online, but nothing definitive.

Anyway, I'd be interested in any impressions. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Aristoexian; 09-19-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: A Typo
Aristoexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
See calibre + Apple iDevices: Start Here. I use the Connect to iTunes command under the Sharing icon to establish the connection to iTunes, then the Send to Device button to send selected books to iTunes. Also, I'd suggest upgrading iTunes to the latest version 10.7, if yours is an earlier version.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-19-2012 at 11:24 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristoexian View Post
The first is to clarify that the device connect button in Calibre is not for iPad users. I do hope there is hope if it in the future, if not. I know we have other means, and I've been using the Content Server beautifully since I found Calibre many months ago.
If by "device connect button" you mean "Start wireless device connection", then yes, and yes.

The first "yes": Calibre Companion, the app that uses calibre's wireless connection driver, currently runs only on android devices.

The second "yes": we (the builders of Calibre Companion) are looking at building an iOS (iPad etc) version of CC. We have two concerns: we need to convince ourselves that the demand is there, and that the Apple App Police won't refuse to put our app into the app store. The reason first concern is obvious: why build something that iPad users won't want? The second is is an issue because Apple might decide that we compete somehow with iBooks or iTunes and reject our app. The only way for us to find out is to spend the time and effort to build it, only to have it all go into the trash can if the app is rejected. We think this is an unlikely outcome, but it is a concern.

Did I answer your question?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Aristoexian
New Here

Indeed you did, thank you so much. Please believe that we iPad users most definitely want it. If you have any statistics at all on how many of us DO use the iPad may that be your guide as to potential profitability. I run an iPad user's group in my workplace. Out of 100 desks in our company 50 use an iPad and twenty more will soon. We are a Macintosh shop, but from what I've heard this is not a-typical of the general population. Of those who currently use iPad thirty are using Calibre, with various complications with transferring books. Some have SMTP size restrictions at home and security restrictions at work so email is unreliable, many, like me, have problems transferring via iTunes since jailbreaking (a problem documented on Apple Discussions) and some are just afraid of the Content Server. I'm not afraid of the server but have developed an issue that requires I completely quit iBooks for some books to transfer. This issue affects about thirty percent of my titles and is new since I got a retina MBP with Mountain Lion. All this is to say I think you will be blown away by the interest in an iPad app. I'm not a developer so not intimately familiar with the rules around acceptance/rejection but I'm sure this could be determined beforehand, so you don't waste all that effort. Let me know if you'd like me to look into that for you.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If by "device connect button" you mean "Start wireless device connection", then yes, and yes.
@Aristoexian, oops, sorry for misunderstanding your post and answering the wrong question.

@chaley, thanks for clarifying and responding.

unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Aristoexian
New Here

@Unboggling I meant to thank you for your kind response. You couldn't have known about my issues as I didn't describe them at all. You were very kind to jump in as you did.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Ballaterboy
Ballaterboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Calibre companion for iPad

Just an observation. Al my books are on kindle. 457!!!! I keep track using Calibre. There is a library for each author and the books grouped in series and in logical order so I can read them chronologically. To assist me when aim out and about and I want to move to a new book I need to access calibre to see the next in the series. Likewise if I change author just for a change. Calibre Companion is ideal for this as it is on my Android Smartphone.

Now I have an iPad4 it would be so much easier to have CC on that instead of the phone. Don't want to move books to iPad as I prefer my Kindle for reading.

Just a thought if you are deciding to have a version for iPad or not.
Ballaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
An iOS version of CC is on our todo list. We (well, Steven) just need to find the time to do the work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
huotg01
Enthusiast
huotg01 began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader, Xiaomi Note 10
I know 2-3 persons that would be very interested in a iThing CC...

GH
huotg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Live2Read
Live2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toys

Device: Rooted Sony PRS-T1 w/ Alternate Home Screen; iPhone 4s (Audiobooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huotg01 View Post
I know 2-3 persons that would be very interested in a iThing CC...

GH
I know another one (me).

I put CC on my husband's tablet yesterday and was stunned (and envious). Best 3 bucks I ever spent.
Live2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If Apple rejects it you could always put it on Cydia...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device connect, ibooks balking