Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
ePub Squeaker: Tool to tweak ePubs

I've created a simple tool to update ePubs (either one book or an entire directory structure) to make them easier to use with a Nook.

Specifically, it does the following:

* Tries to fix the ePub so the Nook can find the cover for the library view.
* Removes Calibre bookmarks.
* Splits HTML files at page break tags, to create a page break on the Nook (or on other ADE devices).

This program requires .NET 4.0. Source code is provided, under an MIT-style license, with apologies (I know I need to do some cleanup work, especially on the GUI).

Any feedback, unexpected errors, etc. are appreciated.

Downloads are available from the Google Code project.

Last edited by ATimson; 04-23-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: v0.2 release
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Looks very interesting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your work!
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v0.2 has been released. The major new feature is that it will split an ePub at page-break-before tags; Nook and other ADE readers ignore these, so the text appears continuous, instead of starting the new chapter on a new page.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
mossmaal
mossmaal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hi ATimson, i really appreciate you creating this tool!

Unfortunately it keeps crashing on me when i try to update all my books at once (12,000 in various sub directories). Is there any way i can get some debug information for you about these crashes?

Have you considered writing this tool as a calibre plugin? I'm sure it would attract a lot of interest from all nook owners.
mossmaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist

Let me see what I can do about debug information - I don't think I'm leaving any, so I think that I'll have to give you a new version to create some...

If I'd started writing this as a tool for sharing, I'd probably have gone the Calibre plugin route; I really wrote it half as a tool for myself, half as practice in using C#. I may still rewrite it, but Python gives me hives.