Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #1006
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
If her computer's new enough to have Windows 7 and has a wireless adapter, it can be set up as a wireless hotspot. Alternately, if you have a laptop that fits the bill, you could set yours up this way to update her NOOK with new DRM keys or whatever.

As administrator, enter the following at a command prompt:

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<some ssid> key=<WPA passphrase>
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
This creates a WiFi hotspot that connects to the computer. If you then go to Network Settings and find the adapter that's actually connected to the network, go to Network Sharing and share the network with the new connection (probably named "Wireless Network Connection 2".

This connection survives a reboot, but it needs to be restarted with the "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" command. If you're setting her computer up, you can put that command in a script and either put it on the desktop or have it run automatically at startup.

If you want more information or more detailed tutorials, Google "Windows 7 virtual access point".
...or you could buy her a wi-fi router for $18 from Amazon and plug it in. http://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-W...ds=wifi+router

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #1007
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If a person has a Non-WiFi (cable/DSL) router that supports multiple wired computers:
get an Access Point

An A/P attaches just like any other CAT5 device with no wired-WiFi network isolation issues

Multiple A/Ps are what business use for coverage, whisle maintaining a single (appearing) wired network
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #1008
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colerson View Post
Right; so the SD card slot was annoying, but not a deal-breaker (although it was one of the reasons I went B&N in the first place).

Amazon has a download link, so that's advantage Amazon. Sure you need a Kindle, but even with a Nook, you can't download from B&N anymore, so that tips the scale.

Basically, everything which differentiated (in a positive way) B&N from Amazon, and what pushed me toward B&N in the first place, has been removed. It's a tie in a few places, but Amazon wins everywhere else: better ereader software, Matchbook, website that doesn't break half the time I try to use it, and so on.
You can still download from B&N. I can and I do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #1009
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Mom-in-law is rather fed up with "technology" right now, but good to know there are lots of options if she decides to give ebooks another try.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #1010
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Jon -- While it remains theoretically possible to download books directly from B&N's website, it is a hassle that Amazon doesn't trouble you with -- that is what people are trying to point out to you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #1011
Colerson
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can still download from B&N. I can and I do.
Last I saw you could download with a “hidden” URL (that a Greasemonkey script helpfully could provide), or you could use the PC app. Basically, it's not B&N's intent to allow you to download and sideload, but you can get around it for the time being. That's not acceptable to me, given that in the past you could download, and since they've signalled their intent (no sideloading of B&N content), why would I want to continue with them?

The few reasons I had for choosing B&N over Amazon have been removed, and after re-evaluating the two, I've decided Amazon does a better job of providing what I want.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #1012
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
...I'm so mad at B&N nowadays that I can't even walk into one of their stores -- and I used to love hanging out there, it was one of my favorite places!
Yes, I used to go into the store almost every week. I would take my Nook and read the "More in Store" articles. Then later took advantage of the ability to read ebooks in the store. In addition to shopping for the books I still like physical copies of. Now I seldom go and the experience is tainted by my annoyance at the Nook side of things. It's really sad because they are the only game in town here since Borders closed.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #1013
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Jon -- While it remains theoretically possible to download books directly from B&N's website, it is a hassle that Amazon doesn't trouble you with -- that is what people are trying to point out to you.
Using NookStudy, I am able to download from B&N, move the eBook(s) to Calibre and have the DRM removed. The new version of the DRM removal plugin handles B&N a lot better then before. So it's a lot easier than it was.

Now it's just as easy to clean B&N eBooks as it is to clean Amazon eBooks. Both use an app to download and both use the same plugin to remove the DRM.

But, it is possible that B&N will pull some new stunt that will change this. But for now until they do, I don't mind buying from B&N as I do have some credit.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #1014
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I haven't hooked my nook up to my PC in a while, so does anyone know if B&N changed the way the books are downloaded to the nook ST/ST Glow? I know in the past I could pull the epub files right from the device and back them up to my PC.

I have Nook Study loaded and have been using that, I'm just curious if anything changed with the devices.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #1015
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using NookStudy, I am able to download from B&N, move the eBook(s) to Calibre and have the DRM removed. The new version of the DRM removal plugin handles B&N a lot better then before. So it's a lot easier than it was.

Now it's just as easy to clean B&N eBooks as it is to clean Amazon eBooks. Both use an app to download and both use the same plugin to remove the DRM.

But, it is possible that B&N will pull some new stunt that will change this. But for now until they do, I don't mind buying from B&N as I do have some credit.
Very true, but what that means is that B&N is now only just-as-good as Amazon in that regard.

And in the area of direct-download-from-cloud, Amazon is superior.

No one is denying you can certainly still DeDRM your B&N books. But, and this is the big but, B&N no longer has the advantage over Amazon (particularly when it came to linux users, but in general anyone who doesn't want to install more bloatware).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #1016
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I haven't hooked my nook up to my PC in a while, so does anyone know if B&N changed the way the books are downloaded to the nook ST/ST Glow? I know in the past I could pull the epub files right from the device and back them up to my PC.

I have Nook Study loaded and have been using that, I'm just curious if anything changed with the devices.
As far as I remember, the only Nook where you had access to the B&N book files without root was the 1st edition.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #1017
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Very true, but what that means is that B&N is now only just-as-good as Amazon in that regard.

And in the area of direct-download-from-cloud, Amazon is superior.

No one is denying you can certainly still DeDRM your B&N books. But, and this is the big but, B&N no longer has the advantage over Amazon (particularly when it came to linux users, but in general anyone who doesn't want to install more bloatware).
The one advantage B&N has over Amazon (to some) is that when you do remove the DRM, you have an ePub eBook and for those that do no convert and/or code shift and read ePub, this is an advantage. But on the flip side, those that read Kindle eBooks and also do no convert then going with Amazon is an advantage. Overall, it is easier to go from ePub > KF8 as I have seen some KF8 that might need some work after a conversion to ePub. Mostly those are from small publishers or self-published. The BPHs start off with their for sale ePub and have that converted for sale at Amazon.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #1018
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
As far as I remember, the only Nook where you had access to the B&N book files without root was the 1st edition.
I had such access, without root, on my NOOK Tablet.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #1019
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I had such access, without root, on my NOOK Tablet.
You made me look. I'd forgotten my Nook Color also had access to the B&N book files. But I think my Nook Touch and Nook HD have them stored where you need root to get to them. I have them all rooted though (except my 1st edition). Another reason I liked Nooks...because they were so hackable.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #1020
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
How will this work with the Classic Nook or the Simple Nook? I still use my lovely first generation for reading out of doors, yard beach etc. . I love it but I doubt I could read from a cloud
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote