Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Complete deDRM failure - some questions...

So, I have this lovely Sony Reader and I don't use it all that much, and I want to put some Amazon content on it, because I have some. It isn't working, I just bought the Python Essential Reference from Amazon, and then had to go and find a PDF online to read it on my Reader. That sucks. [Yes, it is available at the Sony store, I should have bought it there, but I have an ear infectino right now and I am not making good decisions, but the principle of the thing remains]. So here is the setup:

I'm on a Mac, OS X 10.6.4.

I have Windows 7 (64 bit) running in VMWare.

I have Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac.

I don't have a Kindle device.

My big problem so far has been getting a PID to use. As far as I understand, I can't get one for the K4Mac software, I need to install an older version of K4PC on Windows and get the PID off of that.

Question, is this true? Do I have to go to the PC?

Second, can I then use that PID on the Mac, or do I have to use it only on the PC?

The reason I ask is because I have read that I need to install the 32bit version of Python on Windows in order for the magic to work, and I don't want to mess up my PC Python environment too much, since I am doing a school project scripting ArcGIS and it is already getting way too complicated over there.

If I need to mess around with the PC too much, I am just going to have to wait.

Thanks for the help! MobileRead!
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The skindle utility for stripping DRM from K4PC ebooks is written in C and does not need python, but it does need to be run from the Windows command line. I assume it will work on your VMware Windows 7. I have recently seen reports that it does not work with the very latest version of K4PC.

Assuming this works, you would download an AZW ebook to your K4PC and then strip the DRM using skindle (both within VMware). The skindle utility finds the needed PID from K4PC's kindle.info file, which it typically finds automatically. You will then have a DRM-free MOBI that can be used on whatever device you want, or converted to a new format (e.g. ePub) using Calibre.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-14-2010 at 07:08 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much, wallcraft! I had seen mention of skindle recently, but just assumed it was an alternative Python script. I will give that a try.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
llreader
Mesmerist

Well, that was very exciting, at least, but no results. I uninstalled and deregistered the version of K4PC that I had and installed an older one [EDIT: Version 1.0 - this may be the problem]. Then I synced, got the book (a prc file, which is weird to start with, since it is an AZW on my Mac), and the program was able to produce a PID for the device and the file, but "an error occurred" and "No valid pids available".

Maybe I should try again with the newer version of K4PC?

Last edited by llreader; 08-14-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
llreader
Mesmerist

Ok, the newer version of K4PC has AZW files and everything works just dandy.

Off to enjoy my legally purchased content! Thanks a million!
Advert

Tags
amazon, dedrm, kindle, mobi conversion, mobi dedrm