Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
DoubleHelix
DoubleHelix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best eReader for writing?

I do a lot of bicycle touring and backpacking. Most of my trips last more than a week.

I am looking at getting an eReader that I could take with me.

Main needs:
1) Battery life greater than a week
2) Supports writing (I really dont like the keyboard on the Kindle 3, the Bluetooth capabilities of the nook seem promising though I dont know if it is fast enough to accommodate making documents or if there is even an app for it).
3) Preferably <$300

If it needs to be rooted to accomplish this that is fine, I have an android phone which I have rooted and installed custom roms and recoveries.

Thanks for the help,
Devin
DoubleHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You're out of luck; only e-ink has that kind of battery life, and the e-ink readers don't support writing at any useful level.

However, you could look into a solar-powered USB charger for Nook color or other tablet-style reader.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Nook or Kindle. They don't Support writing. You can make notes, highlight the text though.
I like Nook more because Kindle looks kinda cheap. I have Nook and am absolutely happy with it. I normally charge it once/week. I read a lot, about 5-6 books every week.
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I heard they had to do a lot of hacking to turn on the Bluetooth chip in the Nook Color. Not sure if they managed to do it with Nook Simple Touch Reader.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The sony readers and kobo touch have basic sketch programs that can be used to jot down notes.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I do a lot of bicycle touring and backpacking. Most of my trips last more than a week.

I am looking at getting an eReader that I could take with me.

Main needs:
1) Battery life greater than a week
2) Supports writing (I really dont like the keyboard on the Kindle 3, the Bluetooth capabilities of the nook seem promising though I dont know if it is fast enough to accommodate making documents or if there is even an app for it).
3) Preferably <$300

If it needs to be rooted to accomplish this that is fine, I have an android phone which I have rooted and installed custom roms and recoveries.

Thanks for the help,
Devin
Honestly, it sounds to me like you're looking for a rooted NookColor that you could install some kind of word processing app on. You're not going to get that kind of battery life out of it, though... you'd need some kind of mobile charger. I saw the suggestion of a solar-powered one up above... maybe that would solve the battery issue?

I don't believe that any of the other readers, particularly the e-Ink ones have the composition features, though they have the battery life.

Good luck - hope you find something useful!
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah... I agree pretty much you will need a tablet. I suggest the Asus Transformer over the nook color though because...

1) You do not need to root it
2) It has an optional keyboard with second battery in it that doubles as a case
3) It comes with Polaris Office which does a good job of creating/editing MS Word Docs.

BUT it does not fit your price point. The only option in your price range that is close is the Nook Color running CM7 or other Android ROM then getting Polaris office from the market for it.

Now if you just want reduce your needs to a reader... Kindle or NookTouch would be much better due to huge battery life.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepie View Post
Nook or Kindle. They don't Support writing. You can make notes, highlight the text though.
I like Nook more because Kindle looks kinda cheap. I have Nook and am absolutely happy with it. I normally charge it once/week. I read a lot, about 5-6 books every week.
There are a number of "notepad"-type apps available for the Kindle. I don't know how well they work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what kind of writing do you intend to do?

Boox 60/Bebook Neo and Pocket Book 603 have Wacom pen input. If you are just jotting notes about where you are etc they would be fine. I haven't tried anything longer than the grocery list

I have 3 brand new in the box Boox 60s that are then end of a batch from a month ago that im thinking of putting up on sale at a price below $200 just to move them out while waiting on the next batch..
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
How about taking an ebook reader and a (gasp) paper notebook?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
An alternative is a WM5/6 PDA (a Dell or an HP) with several batteries (they're replaceable) and a means of charging the flat batteries. The only defect with that scheme is sunlight readability. If you have to have sunlight readability, I'm afraid you can't get there from here in a simple package.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I doubt that solar charging would be practical on a bicycle trip.

If you have or are willing to get a dynohub, Busch & Müller have a dynohub powered charger that can be set to provide a wide variety of voltages and currents. The e-werk also has an option to connect its own rechargable battery which will continue to recharge your device while the bicycle is not in motion and provide additional voltage smoothing while the bicycle is in motion. The battery can be removed and used to recharge and/or power devices at night. The e-werk is not cheap, but it is compact and should be water tight and reliable

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ewerk.asp

Schmidt, Shimano, and Sanyo all make good dynohubs. There is a wide range of price and performance. Part of the performance is drag. None have high drag, so it is up to you how much to pay to reduce drag, reduce maintenance, etc.

I don't have direct experience with the e-werk, but Peter White does not sell junk. I do have a Schmidt dynohub that has been in daily use for over 12 years and I have been very happy with.

BTW, there are now some very good dynohub powered LED bicycle headlights with shaped beams available now. They put out plenty of light and put it on the road where it belongs.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
My advice would be:

- take Dulin's offer, Bebook Neo or Pocketbook 603 or
- buy a 5" device like Cybook Opus or Pocketbook 360(+) or Sony350 and a paper notebook.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As Dulin asked, what sort of writing? For example, a travelogue might be better accomplished with a smartphone to just record voice notes (transcribe later) and photos.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
How about ... a (gasp) paper notebook?

Do they still make those?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote