Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Nook apps for Mac hangs on 10.6.8

Apple issued a Mac OS X 10.6.8 software update to prepare the Mac for Lion. After installing the update, the Nook app for Mac is pretty much useless. It hangs on the splash screen. The BN chat tech person told me to reinstall, but that didn't help. I also deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Barnesandnoble folder and that didn't help either.

Other people are having the same problem, but no solutions out there.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...n/td-p/1111396

Are other people seeing this problem? Solutions? Thanks!
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
If it's any consolation, Safari 5.1 and/or Lion also broke the Kindle for Mac application...

Last edited by EldRick; 08-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've been having the same problem with it. I'm still on Snow Leopard, so Lion is not the culprit.

I find if I keep quitting and relaunching it (usually) eventually launches. But having typed this, of course, it's now refusing to launch altogether (until system restart?). A few times clicking on the app window seemed to wake it up, but might have been just coincidence.

It's not 'hanging' in the sense that it does not respond to input. You can for example, access the menus and even bring up a context menu from the app window (Back/Reload) but it proceeds to load the home screen on its own terms.

Hmm. Try this: when it 'hangs', wait a few seconds, then close the app window by clicking the (usually) red 'Close' button in the upper left corner (instead of File/Quit). Then re-launch. This has worked for me 4 times in a row. Maybe if you always close with the red button it will always launch?

Last edited by tomsem; 08-04-2011 at 12:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Amazon disgorged a Kindle for Mac v1.6.2, which works on Lion.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
gdh
gdh began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Having same issue as others, MacBook running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and BN Nook Reader 3.0.0fc9774. Generally freezes during startup... Keep trying and trying and eventually, it loads. But, here's another trick that seems to work some of the time. Use your Finder window in the Mac, locate an already downloaded book (epub, etc.) that the reader software can open, select it and choose "Open With" on the Finder File menu. It worked for me when the other method did not. It also DIDN'T work. In short, another way to "keep trying".
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The Nook app for Mac is still in beta. I was able to read open books with it only 2-3 times, now when I click on a book the reading tab becomes active like if I was on it but I still see my library. Basically, I can no longer open any books with it.

Last edited by Ubermensch; 11-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
I Bruno Beer
Custom User Title
I Bruno Beer began at the beginning.

Device: various
Platform:Mac OS X v.10.6.8
NOOK for Mac build number:3.0.0fc9774
user:

application location:/Applications/NookForMac.app
system clock speed:2147 MHz
system RAM:6144 MB
system file size:476611 MB
system free size:207771 MB
log contents:

=================== BEGIN LOG ===================
2011-11-12 05:47:38.00737975 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================
2011-11-12 05:47:39.00178323 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1455] select schema_version from bn_schema_version where id = 0 ... fail
2011-11-12 05:47:39.00222268 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: duplicate column name: lend_message
2011-11-12 05:47:39.00245983 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: cannot commit - no transaction is active
2011-11-12 05:47:39.00246045 ERROR [SQLiteDatabase.cpp:1426] sqlite3_exec ERROR: cannot commit - no transaction is active

=================== END LOG ===================
I Bruno Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
my solution was to switch to calibre
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
robinhull
robinhull began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
My solution to this problem was to try closing any application that uses the internet. After that I opened Nook for Mac and it connected. I hope this solves the problem completely.
robinhull is offline   Reply With Quote