Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Though graphite would be acceptable. The NOOKcolor is a great example.
Graphite works too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sorry I'm late, but I missed this. Here's the thread about the offers:

Special Offers for new Kindle (KSO)

Keep in mind that these offers are exclusive to the US. You'll have to do a bit of hoop jumping to get around that restriction.
Thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #48
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
first major leak, in the cnet article above. It does appear it will have an all touch eink screen.
Intriguing. Intriguing enough for me to wait to buy an e-reader. Might as well see what they come up with before I make a decision!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #49
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Barnes and Noble has made it official that they will announce the new nook next Tuesday.

http://news.cnet.com/new-nook-to-be-...?tag=cnetRiver
Thanks for the link.

Simple Touch Reader sounds nice, and I don't think this could be anything BUT an eink device, that looks and feels similar to the Nookcolor, but lighter and probably a bit more compact.

I remember when BN announced the Nookcolor, and it was panned and mocked almost universally, and BN was branded as a desperate failure. Look where the Nookcolor is now. I hope BN continues to innovate and bring new ideas to the reader/tablet market.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think a new e-ink nook with a touchscreen and just enough bezel to hold it comfortably would be a great product.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Is it too much to hope that it will also have the 'HD' eink screen (1024x768 6") that iRiver's Story HD reader has? 200dpi would be nice...

Wonder if it will have a stylus also.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #52
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
B&N appears to be leading the way with their devices, each one was panned at first but still took a large chuck of the market. Reason: they supplied what many people wanted, not just the same old same old .. to such a point that Amazon appears to be playing catch up in a few areas. (that should get a few bites from the Amazon fanboys)

I think any new reader they bring out will have some cutting edge feature.. But nothing over the top as it now has become more about price than anything else.

But I know it's all still fun to try and guess what it will be and to throw out there wish lists.

I still think the popup ebook market has been ignored for too long :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #53
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If it has a touch screen, I wonder if it might also have the same browser as the Color Nook. The big problem with the Classic Nook's browser is the impossible screen navigation via the bottom panel. At least it would be handy to be able to go online occasionally if the new nook had a touch screen and a better browser.

Anyway, for me the best rumored-improvement would be longer battery life. That is really one of the few things I dislike about the Classic Nook as a reader.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Is it too much to hope that it will also have the 'HD' eink screen (1024x768 6") that iRiver's Story HD reader has? 200dpi would be nice...
I thought that EInk (or whoever makes the screens) said there weren't going to be any new screens for 2011, so a higher resolution seems out?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #55
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought that EInk (or whoever makes the screens) said there weren't going to be any new screens for 2011, so a higher resolution seems out?
no new advancements in the current screen for 2011.

I think the contrast is a good as you can get for now. I would like to see eink not only advance color but to work on page turning. would love to see the "flash" effect gone and have a smoother page turning look to it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The screen is from LG Display, not E-Ink (the company who said they were not bringing out new screens this year). See iRiver Press Release.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #57
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I would love a Sony-style Nook. Hopefully the battery life would be better and the touch screen interface would be good.

I'd prefer to be able to turn off the touch screen page turning if possible - too easy to do accidently on my NC - but for picking books, navigating, etc...it would be really nice.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #58
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'll toss my prediction into the ring...
A new touchscreen eInk nook, the size of the Aluratek Libre Pro... $99.
I'll counter that with a 6" touchscreen for $129. No sd card support, no user replacable battery, no color lcd strip. Wifi, basic web browsing, lighter and thinner than kindle.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #59
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Yes, you have nailed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I'll counter that with a 6" touchscreen for $129. No sd card support, no user replacable battery, no color lcd strip. Wifi, basic web browsing, lighter and thinner than kindle.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #60
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I would expect an SD card slot. It's a major advantage over the Kindle.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote