Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You can probably have windows to format (it might see the disk, but not reconise the format on it, so it won't display in "My computer". That should somewhere in configuration / administration tools. (Or not, that for Xp).

But i don't know how to reinstall if you do that. Or even if you can.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
sponder
sponder began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Let's try this. With the Cybook disconnected go to My Computer and click on it. It should show you all the drives that are currently on your computer. They should all be designated with a capital letter, probably beginning with C: unless you have a floppy drive which is doubtful in these modern times. Now connect the Cybook. In XP when I having my corruption issues a small window would open with an animated flashlight as if it was looking for something. As I understand it when I first connected the device to the computer Windows look for a found a driver to allow connection to the device. It made an entry in the Windows registry that allows it to remember the device. Because of corrupted file it couldn't do it anymore. I don't know if you will get this animation in vista. After connecting go to My Computer and click on it again. If you are connected you should have two additional drives added. The first one should be your Cybook. Click on it. If you get a message that Windows can't open the drive because of a corrupted file or directory, this is one you want to work on. Since you don't have backup files I would try chkdsk on it rather than reformatting. You can find a lot of information on running chkdsk at web cites like this http://www.deltatranslator.com/chkdsk.htm When I ran chkdsk I clicked on Start, click on run and entered chkskd: K (K being the letter my computer had assigned to the Cybook, yours will probably be different) A DOS shell opened and informed me that the file structure of FAT32 and that there were errors that were not corrected because I dd not use /f parameter. It asked If I wanted to continue (y or n). I pressed y and it proceeded to fix errors. After that it the computer could find and open the Cybook. I lost all of the original books that came with it, but this was stuff I was going to delete anyway. You might also insert a sd card. As I understand it Cybook will create directories on this card. One of them will be Ebooks. If you are connected the second drive that is created will be the sd card. Try to open it. If you can copy one your pdf's to Ebook directory. With the sd card in your Cybook turn it on and see if that pdf in now in your library and try to open it.
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Cino
Cino began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponder View Post
...Because of corrupted file it couldn't do it anymore. I don't know if you will get this animation in vista. After connecting go to My Computer and click on it again. If you are connected you should have two additional drives added. ...
Although connected, there are still no additional drives added.
Your detailed explanation is very impressive, many thanks! I sincerely believe I will need this in the near future.

Tomorrow I will buy a SD card to see if reformat helps, then I will be back to inform the result. I appreciate all that everyone here has contributed.
Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
sponder
sponder began at the beginning.

f you can't find the drive you can't reformat it. Also if you reformat that will wipe out all of the files including the system file and the fonts file leaving you with nothing. Applying Ockham's razor you should probably make sure your USB ports are working. Try connecting another device to the computer (camera, mp3 player, external harddrive flash drive card reader etc) and see if they are working. Also I have noticed that the Cybook connection is somewhat stubborn. I usually have to insert the cable in the computer a couple of times before i get the windows kathump noise telling the device is connected. Ignore the Cybook telling you it is connected go with the computer.

You can also try restoring factory default. You do this by holding down the volume - button (bottom button on the right) and power button at the same time. Follow the directions. This didn't help my situation, but it may help yours

There is also a lot of information here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...roubleshooting

If you some how manage to reformat the Cygen I am willing to emal a copy of the system file. I have firmware build 834
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Cino
Cino began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Now my problem has been solved with the help of linux.
I got a hint from this blog:
http://john.nachtimwald.com/2009/02/...stem-on-linux/

My case is very similar to this one. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on my laptop, and the problem was solved in this way:
1) sudo fdisk -l
Result: Cybook was found as sdb device.
2)sudo fsck.vfat /dev/sdb -artvVw
The process took about 6 minutes for me. Some bad clusters were found and repaired, which correspond exactly to the file unsuccessfully copied.

Hope this can help others who have similar problems, and flowers to those enthusiastic to help.
Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
the command line contain some contradictions:

-a mean "automatic"
but
-r mean "interactive"

Code:
fsck.vfat -atVw
is enought

See the fsck.vfat help:
Code:
usage: fsck.vfat [-aAflrtvVwy] [-d path -d ...] [-u path -u ...]
               device
  -a       automatically repair the file system
  -A       toggle Atari file system format
  -d path  drop that file
  -f       salvage unused chains to files
  -l       list path names
  -n       no-op, check non-interactively without changing
  -p       same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
  -r       interactively repair the file system
  -t       test for bad clusters
  -u path  try to undelete that (non-directory) file
  -v       verbose mode
  -V       perform a verification pass
  -w       write changes to disk immediately
  -y       same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponder View Post
............ Also I have noticed that the Cybook connection is somewhat stubborn. I usually have to insert the cable in the computer a couple of times before i get the windows kathump noise telling the device is connected. ......

I find when using a long cable my PC will not recognise the Cybook, but will when I use a short cable....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I'm using the cable that went with the Cybook... And I always turn it on (so it shows the library) before I plug it.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #24
Smetad Anarkist
Smetad Anarkist began at the beginning.

Hello
I hope that I'm not hijacking the thread. But I do have the same problem that my Cybook Gen 3 shows up as Unknown Device in Windows Vista. A Coworker suggested that there might be a problem with the drivers since I've plugged it in to another usb-port the second time I've plugged it in (it worked the first time).

So I've deleted the drivers and plugged it in again. Now it showed up as drives in the computer. But the drives where blank. It couldn't see any files or folders. The annoying part is that my other vista computer can see the device and all the files and everything just as expected.

So I was just wondering if anybody has an idea why I can't see the files or folders on the device from one of my computers but the other one seems so work fine?
Smetad Anarkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #25
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Does your Cybook work correctly?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #26
Smetad Anarkist
Smetad Anarkist began at the beginning.

It seems to work just fine. It froze when I tried to read my morning newspaper as pdf. But I think it's because it ran out of memory. The only problem is that it doesn't show files or folders when it's connected to one of my computers. The other one works.
Smetad Anarkist is offline   Reply With Quote